More of His Courage-Seminar Two (Day 3)

BabyLambWe’re back at the Bible Cafe  Pursuing More of Jesus with Anne Graham Lotz. Monday we learned about loving others and yesterday we read about the world hating us- what a contrast! No wonder why so many find the Bible confusing. I’ve noticed that some of the verses repeat the words “I tell you the truth” or “this is my command” to reinforce the words.

In today’s verse Jesus tells us we’ll be persecuted because of his name-Christ. When we call ourselves Christ-ians, the Bible tells us to expect hate and persecution. No Christian will argue that since we see evidence of this almost daily in the evening news.  Rather than focus on the hatred and the prejudice towards Christians, Jesus wants us to remember that these are people who do not know God (verse 21).

We’re going to go deeper with today’s question: What does it mean to ‘know God?’

Get your Biblical references, look for old sermons from your pastor at iTunes…and see if you can answer this question for YOURSELF. It doesn’t matter what we think, it matters what YOU think.

At the beginning of the Bible study, I shared a dream where Jesus said “KNOW ME.” It seems an important part of this study as we pursue more of Jesus. Those who persecute or hate you do not Know God or Know Jesus. Does Jesus command you to hate them, or to love them?

Today’s Scripture Verse

Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me. John 15:20-21

Jesus, thank you for teaching us and sharing your name with us as we chose to obey your teaching and listen only to your voice. Help us see those who do not know God. Continue to stay present in this Bible study as we read our verses day-by-day and seek knowledge within your words. Fill our hearts with your peace and calmness and bless us as we come to know you more. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 38-39 in your workbook.

Group Activity

What does it mean to ‘know God?’ Post your comments and share your ideas with the guests in the Bible Cafe!

If you are afraid to post because you’re unsure of your answer, you’re allowing the enemy to grab your voice away from God. Speak freely and safely-too many Christians have been silenced by world hatred and they’re afraid to talk. Give your voice to God. Blessings,

• Theresa says:

I know God…I always have. It doesn’t mean that I have always been a great Christian. I remember being in my teens and doing stuff I wasn’t suppose to. I remember hearing God’s voice say “Are you sure you want to do that?” I would ignore him and do it…But through it all He was there.

I know God because my daughter was hit head on by a car while riding her bike and she only had a sprained ankle.

I know God because my son was severely burned by fireworks. Now he is scar free.

I know God because I daily plead for the covering of Jesus’ blood over my family. I know God by the stillness and peace I experience if I just sit and close my eyes for a minute.

I know God and because of that when I am persecuted for being a Christian…I will speak out LOUDER.

I recently had a Tattoo of a cross put one the inside of my ankle. It is 3×2 and beautiful. I said to my husband after I had it…”You know there may come a time where I will be persecuted for having this on my body.” My husband looked at me and said….At least you will have stood up for our God, Savior, Father. Honey he will welcome you home with open arms.”

I don’t just know God because of the tragedies that he has “Fixed”. I know that I know God because I am regularly attacked by the enemy. I must be doing something right or he would just leave me alone.

The question asked was “What does it mean to ‘know God?’” It means to know LOVE!

• Desiree says:

To know God is to accept Him and everything that involves living His word. This is not easy and it seems much more difficult and challenging the more involved you become. I am still learning exactly what I am supposed to do and how God wants me to live.

• Pam says:

Thank you for your good leadership comments and pics Christine. This is a much deeper study than I thought it would be, and am really thinking and rethinking familiar scriptures.Can’t wait for next video by Ann, as well.
    My observance of Christians today is that there are so many views within the body. Some, I believe, do not face persecution because of the new religious tolerance, i.e. many roads to God, which really isn’t new, but has now become even part of churches that profess to be Chrisitan. This has not been part of church doctrine in past. Christians professed Christ as only way, and those who still do, need to have an answer for their beliefs, as they will be not be tolerated due to having a stance. Similarly if we say there are moral absolutes, that there are truths, the world says, “my way, your way, it’s ok, all is good”. But Christians hold to Biblical truths as perceived through the centuries. We believe there are truths, “sanctify them in truth, my word is truth” Tolerance, acceptance has been perceived as love, and anyone who dare say that something is not as it should be is viewed as an intolerant bigot, where perhaps they are simply concerned for a person’s eternal welfare. So many preachers don’t even mention sin anymore as though it were not an issue to God, since Christ died for us, but I think if it was important enough for Him to die for, it should be important enough for us to learn to deal with in our life.
    We don’t face persecution as yet, but I believe we do face questions, and intolerance to our beliefs. The ones facing persecution are still being martyred throughout the world. Simply because they believe in Jesus and not their nations religion. Yet, those persecuting are the very ones we are to love.
    Love your enemies, for even the world loves their friends, or something to that effect, is what Jesus asked. This is so hard, and can only be done through releasing to Him through prayer and trust in His justice. We may not see that in our lifetime, but He is a God of Justice as well as mercy and we all have to come before Him. We come clothed in Jesus righteousness, thank God!
    How do I know Him? journaling is a big way for me…maybe that’s why I write way too much….quiet times… fellowship with strong believers…Bible reading, and study with people like you all, who share and desire growth too!
    How do I know I know Him? it’s those quiet aha times when a lightbulb goes off, or times of solitude when he gives me poems, or times when I do things that I wouldn’t do and wonder where the strength came from…..and also the times I do things I know don’t please Him and feel that as well. …thank God for Mercy and Grace, and His abiding Spirit!

• Penny says:

To know God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit…to experience Him in the written Word, my mind, body and spirit, to know Him as a Person who also has a mind, will, emotions, and heart. To know Him is to hear what He is saying to me individually. He is love, light, sweet fragrance, and a strong tower.
    I love Him.

• Sisterlisa says:

By comparing their personal study with that of their pastor they could very well find out that he is wrong. That happened to me.

To know God and know Jesus is to trust with all my heart, mind, body and soul. For me, trust reveals itself as obedience and submission to God’s plan and His commands, rather than my own. I know God when I face hatred with courage, find forgiveness for my enemies and feel love for those who have not found Jesus. Through Bible study and scripture verses I’ve learned to know God. It’s comforting knowing that He knows all the hairs on my head, my forgiven sins and my heart’s desire. I know God because I love Jesus.

Praying: (step 5) Father,when I am persecuted in the name of Christ, give me courage and help me to remember his commands. Surround me with people who obey your teaching and reveal to me those who do not Know God. Amen.