More of His Voice-Seminar One (Day 1)

gate

Welcome to the Bible Cafe as we begin our study by Anne Graham Lotz. You’ll need the Pursuing More of Jesus Workbook, your Bible, and pencil. Get comfortable, pray before your begin your study and let’s discover more of Jesus from the book of John.

Your workbook is divided into four sessions and two workshops. Session one is titled “More of His Voice” and covers scriptures from John 10:1-10. Make sure you’ve read “How to Use Your Workbook” before you begin your study.

Having just completed the Me, Myself and Lies Bible Study…my thought closet is cleared and ready to hear the voice of God. How does God speak to His children and what will we hear? How do we discern God’s voice from the voice of the enemy who preys upon us?

These next five days we’ll discover some answers by reading the gospel of John, Chapter 10 verses one through ten.

Session One Schedule

Today’s Scripture Verse

I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. John 10:1

*Note: If you click John 10:1, you’ll see the verse at Bible Gateway and you can use a different Bible translation

Father, I pray that each and every woman in this study will seek your voice and know Jesus. Open their hearts and minds to your word, teach them your will and lead them in spiritual growth. Amen.

*Note: If you have a prayer request, please post a comment. Thank you.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 18-19 in your workbook.

Group Activity

What did you learn from John 10:1? What are the lessons and what does it mean for you personally?

Post a comment to share your thoughts.

• Danielle says:

After reading this verse, my thoughts were:

There have been times in my life when I have not been the best Child to God. But, after not following his word – I think, “God Forgives” Which of course, is true.

However, if I am constantly wrapped in Sin that I could have easily avoided and am constantly asking for forgiveness…or, if I know I will just ask for forgiveness later. Then, my thought is (from this scripture) I did not access the “sheep pen” by the gate, instead I tried to find another way in, another way that seemed easier. Instead of following God’s way, I decided to be in control and simply ask for forgiveness each time so I can hop over the fence.

• Tammy says:

As I thought about this verse last night and this morning, it comes to mind that for almost everything we do in this life there is always more than one way to do it. However, when it comes to eternal life there is only ONE way. Jesus is THE way, THE truth and THE life!

• Theresa says:

This verse clarifies for me that the True Shepard is in control of his sheep. That I am important enough to be authenticated. That I don’t have to sneak over a fence or through a crack. I am welcome at the Gate!!

There is only ONE way through the Gate….That is through Jesus!!

I just want to take a moment and Lift Us All Up to our Beloved Father. He Loves us Deeply. I feel very blessed to be a part of 31 women from across many miles studying. He is a Proud Father right now….watching us all listening, reading and writing about His Son our Savior. Jesus’ Rocks!!!

• I went back to my Bible to see what happened just before this passage, and saw at the end of John 9, Jesus was teaching about spiritual blindness. When he begins verse 1 in John 10, he affirms that he tells the truth. We become spiritually blind when we believe the thief and robber. Because he is blind, the thief does not walk in through the gate but he “climbs in” by some other way. To hear the authentic voice of Jesus, we need to align the voice with scripture.

• Desiree says:

Thanks for the feedback Christine! It took me awhile and I had to sit with the scripture for a little bit before I got the message. I am still learning how to listen to God’s voice. I sure hope I’m doing it “right.”

• Nickie says:

this is so true, the thief will climb in but also he can get through the smallest of cracks. I have learned that I need to be aligned with the word and also in prayer daily.

• Elena says:

Thanks for reminding me to look at the context of the verse! I really need that background and extra help when studying Scripture!

• Desiree says:

I need to always seek truth when pursuing anything. There are many ways to get into something, obtain something, or to get ahead, but doing it the correct and right way is God’s way. Getting into something with dishonest intentions is wrong and not the correct choice.

I also got that there is only one way to God’s truth, and that is through His word and the Holy scripture–anything else will rob us of the truth and our eternal life.

• You know, that’s a lesson to learn, and doing it the correct and right way is not always the fastest or easiest way. As you said so well,”anything else will rob us of the truth and our eternal life.”

• Charmaine says:

The thing that strikes me where I am at right now is the very first part where Jesus says, “I tell you the Truth.” He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life right? I love to read scripture from several different translations when I study it…It helps me to hear more of what the Holy Spirit is trying to teach me. The amplified Bible says, “I assure you”. Hence we know that what He says after He says he is telling us the truth or assuring us is His truth and we need not take it lightly. I have been examining this a lot in the past several months and have begun wondering where I have been getting my truth (or so called truth) from in the past. I need to be walled in by the truth of Jesus and let Him protect my pen. This is so good. I love John so much.

• Thank you for being that personal Charmaine. Looking at scriptures from several translations has helped me also and I use online Bibles to see the same passage in various translations.

Your words are beautiful and memorable: “I need to be walled in by the truth of Jesus and let Him protect my pen.”

• Penny says:

Jesus is the only way into The Kingdom (sheep pen). Other voices try to slip in and confuse us. I must constantly be centering my thoughts and emotions on
    Jesus, learing the tell the difference between His voice, the voice of other “Sheep” and the voice of the thief.