More of His Glory-Seminar 4 (Day 1)

glory

Pursing More of Jesus in this last week of study, we seek More of His Glory as we study the Gospel of John, chapter seventeen. Under the leadership of Anne Graham Lotz, we’ve learned how to:

Without doubt, we’ve learned more about Jesus than we knew before starting this inductive Bible study. As Anne mentions in video Seminar Three, “It’s the Holy Spirit’s priority to get you into the word and have it permeate your life so you live by it.” She also reminds us to pray before we study, asking the Holy Spirit to give us the mind of Christ. As you begin this week’s study, ask Jesus to draw you near him.

Session Four Schedule

Today’s Scripture Verse

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: “Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. John 17:1-5 (NIV)

Jesus, draw us near and guide us through the Gospel of John as we pursue more of you glory. Fill our hearts with the holy spirit and empower our minds with the truth of your word. Bring the holy spirit into our souls as we mature in the Christian faith. May our thoughts, actions and words be pleasing to Father God. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 66-67 in your workbook.

Group Activity

Would someone like to give a lesson they found in this passage today? What are your thoughts?

• Charmaine says:

Great post Pam. You touched on so many great things. On your calling, the worse thing is to know your calling but have to fight obstacles over and over that you know are keeping you from obedient and/or submissive to that. I understand you perfectly there.

I think as women, the women’s lib movement that I experienced as a young lady who could not wear pants to my first job unless it was a matching pantsuit that cost a lot of money, we have been done a dis-service on the word submissive. Yes, there were a lot of ridiculous things that women were subjected to in the past but now the word submissive to some of us has an inaccurate connotation and it’s easy to be a thrown off when we hear the word.

I guess you could say we have to separate negative submissiveness from positive submissiveness. But—the more we love and trust–the more submissive and obedient we can be. I may be just rambling here so please excuse me.

• Pam says:

I don’t find you to be rambling, and always appreciate your input.
      The lib movement did a lot to mess up a lot of people, and probably helped some as well, but feel that for the most part our whole attitude changed. Submission became a dirty word.
      Yet it isn’t. When you love and trust as you say, than it is natural to want to please and maybe I like that word rather than submit? semantics, but works for me!

• Desiree says:

Thank goodness for Pam’s post!! I really had no idea what the scripture meant, so I am so glad she broke it down for me. Thank you, Pam!! I still don’t understand the scripture completely, but at least now I have a little bit of clarity and can focus my thoughts and my study on a few key points.

• Penny says:

Perhaps submission is an attitude and obedience is the action from being in a submissive attitude…just my first thought..
    Also when I was in College many many years ago I pondered what my work was/is and what is the purpose of life in general. At the time I went to a Presbyterian Church and studied the Westminister Catachesim. That is where I found my life’s goal: “The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever”. WOW I get to enjoy God and glorify Him. How amazing is that? God wants and needs me to enjoy Him.

Attitude and action…good choice of words Penny.

• Pam says:

THanks Penny, I saw a video on this one night late at night and hoped to find it again, but haven’t. It was all on the idea that we were created by God to give glory to God, but I like that you add the “enjoy Him forever”. Sometimes I forget the enjoyment part when I try to be obedient. Because at times it is a painful obedience, and though God disciplines for our good, it doesn’t feel that way at the time. So, yes, enjoy Him forever!

• Pam Nelson says:

Oh, there is so much in this one paragraph! You know, you shouldn’t get me started…but, I’ll share what I get from it..feel free to skip! Ha! I do get wordy..

1. Jesus looked toward heaven and prayed. I find that as I have grown in my walk, that I find it difficult to pray with my head bowed, and this is not something that I have consciously done, or sought, but that I just tend to bend my neck back and look up, even if my eyes are closed. I often read that this is how Jesus prayed. I don’t know that it is a big deal, but find that I pray looking to my Father as well, and that it is not a pride or pious thing, but just something that happened. Any one else experience this? and I don’t think position really matters, but find it interesting.

2.Jesus is telling the Father that the time has come. He’s not asking, if the time has come, and to me this denotes equal authority, but submission as well, in that He always defers to the Father. And He is asking for Glory for Himself, but not for Himself. Glory that will bring Glory to the Father. I think we are created to bring Glory to Him as well. It’s ok to ask for Glory, if it is to bring Glory to God….

3. Jesus has authority over ALL people. But He goes on to explain that eternal life is through knowing the true God, AND Jesus Christ, whom God sent. Not just any god, or “all gods lead to heaven”, but The God, of Jesus Christ.

4. Jesus completed work He was sent to do. I often struggle with wondering why I was created? What am I here for? Is there something He wants me to do that I don’t know? How wonderful to know and do what God has called you to do. That is a peace I lack. Anyone else struggle with this? I envy people who have found the passion of their life and pursue it, I cling to the hope it is in my future, and live out my work as best I can to try to give Him glory in the everyday….

5. I hear Jesus often talking about Himself in the third person. He does so in the sentence right before this one. Perhaps that is because He wasn’t always known as Jesus, but just during this time period, and after to His followers. But, He was always with the Father, from before creation, and so maybe He has an identity with the Father that is so beyond what we know of this earthly human, yet fully God Jesus. So, He identifies Himself as Jesus while here and for His followers, but the glory He had since the world began is far beyond our imagining. And far beyond our earthly comprehension, thus the third person when referring to Himself as Jesus??? Is this blasphemy? or anyone else wonder why He seems disconnected with Himself at times? Do you speak of yourself in third person as Jesus does?

ok, the person who wrote this, who seeks the Father, is signing off :)!

Wow, your words are on fire today Pam. Thank you for generating this conversation. The second point you made brought a new awareness to my heart: God’s timing. I learned about it in other Bible studies and pondered it’s meaning.

Here, you show the meaning of submission! Could this be applicable to several events in the Bible, such as Esther waiting with submission to the Lord? Could it be as modern women, we’ve hidden the meaning of submission so far into our hearts, that when God calls for it, we miss the calling?

Verse four says “I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.” Women, how can you complete God’s work on earth if your are not submissive to Him?

What is the difference between submissive and obedience? Please discuss.