We’re on week six of One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land as we finish our last week of study. Be sure to listen to Audio Session Six for another powerful session with Priscilla Shirer. In this session, she discusses what modern day promised land living looks like. This is an important audio session, so if you can, make sure you listen. On page 160 in your workbook, there is a list of promised land living and Priscilla tells us to make a plus sign besides those items you expect to experience and a minus sign besides those you don’t.
Two million Hebrews followed Moses to the Promised Land, and only two realized their full inheritance. Joshua was one of those two. He was one in a million and revealed the inheritance to us through scripture. Joshua had the courage to listen when called, and follow the commands of God.
What did the rest of the people do? Imagine a scene where a child does want to go to her new preschool, no matter what her Mom says. So the child clings to the door frame, hanging on with all her might, to frightened to obey. She does not have the courage to follow her Mom’s voice.
How do we respond when we hear God’s voice call us to the promised land?
- We call our husband, mom or girlfriend and seek approval for the journey
- We immediately think it cannot be true, and we look for signs of Satan’s presence
- We seek proof, verification in the form of a miracle or supernatural experience
- We are immobilized with fear
- We make excuses or we need to prepare ourselves
- We are gripping the wall, not letting go of our comfortable past
When God says “Come” we listen and we follow. Anything that blocks your path to the promised land is a stronghold that needs the be found and removed.
***I highly recommend the Beth Moore study Breaking Free if you seek to remove your own strongholds.
Father, we thank you for opening the door to the promised land of living. You’ve prepared the table before us and we listen to your voice. May we accept the full bounty of your gifts, the fullness of your love, and the beauty of your grace as we humbly accept that which is offered to us. Remove the strongholds that keep us from crossing the threshold and embrace us with your JOY. Amen.
Priscilla Shirer Quotes
- Neither Moses’ nor Joshua’s background made them likely candidates for the roles God choose for them. The Lord enabled these faithful men to handle their assignments. Both sovereignly asked to lead without prior training.
- Joshua’s quick acceptance showed more than just a willingness to obey; it pointed to an unwavering courage in the face of risk.
- Courage is not the absence of fear. Its the will to move forward in spite of it.
Today’s Scripture Verses (NASB)
Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought against Amalek; and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. Exodus 17:10
But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?” Exodus 3:11
Then Moses said, “What if they will not believe me or listen to what I say? For they may say, ‘The LORD has not appeared to you.'” Exodus 4:1
Then Moses said to the LORD, “Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.” Exodus 4:10
Why do you think it is difficult for Christians to really believe God and expect to experience the promised land gifts He offers them?