Into the World (Jonah Week 5)

By September 6, 2010Jonah

Week five of Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer is certainly one that makes us think. It should make us prayerfully take a look at our own lives to see if we are obeying God, even in the seemingly small things. As I watched the video and worked through the material, I felt God pressing on me the urgency of this message. God does not look for perfect people that can handle things on their own. If that was the case, we would all be in big trouble. God looks for people who are willing to be obedient in both the large and small things. When God has someone who is obedient, He works supernaturally to do great miracles! It is God’s grace and power that should be seen in a situation, not ours.

God allows us to be in seemingly impossible circumstances facing impossible challenges. Not because He wants to hurt us or watch us fail. It is the opposite. He wants to use our weakness and our messes for His glory! Isn’t that an incredible thought? That Divine Interruption you are facing; God will use it. His power is made perfect in our weakness (2 Cor. 12:9). All He asks is that you are obedient. When other people see God’s power in us and through us, it is an amazing testimony of God. I pray this week that you will seek God and ask for His help so that His power will be made perfect in your weakness. Let your life be a living testimony!

Note: These Carol Kent books, mentioned by Priscilla Shirer in the audio/video session, are highly recommended:

A New Kind of Normal (currently on sale $8.00 at Amazon!)

When I Lay My Issac Down

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Priscilla Shirer Quotes

• Evangelism is not something we do, it is a way to live.
  • I’ve become used to God’s allowing me to be outmatched. It seems that this is His way: putting regular people in circumstances that are beyond their own capabilities.
  • Your Father has enough GRACE to sustain, keep and use you.
  • He paves a pathway to victory as long as we simply walk in obedience.
  • My insecurities don’t absolve me of responsibility.

This Week’s Scripture Verses-NASB

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Matt 28:19 (The Great Commission)

And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness ” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 2 Cor 12:9

The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deut 31:8

and he said, “Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the LORD to you, ‘Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s. 2 Chron 20:15

• Read Week Six, pages 129-150 in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Six Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Six Video (optional)

3. What are your concerns about sharing God’s word with others? (page 119)
  4. On page 120, Priscilla created a list of scripture verses for ministering to others. What verses do you use in similar situations?

Laying Down My Life,

Shannon

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It’s also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you’re unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under “Current Studies” to see what we’re reading. Bring your book and let’s study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• Nicole says:

Hi gals, I’m sorry I’m a tad behind. Even though I finished week 5, I forgot to answer it.
    #3) I answered not equipped, not knowledgeable enough, not prepared & not sure.

I feel like I don’t know enough about the Bible to lead someone to Jesus. Last year was the first time I opened a bible since my childhood & started learning his word.
    I remember when my grampa was alive he knew his Bible front & back. When people would come to his house to preach to him & they were of different faith, he had his Bible ready & was giving his testimony to them. After a while they would just skip his house.

There is so much that I feel that I don’t know. What if they ask me something and I don’t know the answer? I guess its fear that I have.

#4)I know John 3:16 from Sunday School.

• Jennifer Deffendall says:

1. Let people know about Women’s Bible Study Café, be more positive less negative, and listen more to people
    2. Nobody wants to share the word about god most of the time. I volunteer at a group called Career Transition Workshop, which helps people looking for jobs, and the best thing is we do talk with God at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end.
    3. I know that I am not equipped, not knowledgeable enough, not prepared, but I am prepared
    4. Psalm 23

• Victoria says:

1. Share the gospel with my coworkers through my behavior, music, speech and one on one conversations. Share the gospel on Facebook through scripture and the attitude of my status posts.

2. I’m super busy. Time is a big issue. Arranging my life-Letting og of some things that aren’t as important

3. Not being knowledgeable enough, or equipped properly

4. Romans 8:28, Jeremiah 29:11, John 3:16

• Lisa says:

Christine,
    Will you share your navigational tools???

Week Five navigation tools (yours will be different than mine)

Day 1: Speak in Love (His name)
      Day 2: I’m never outmatched with God inside my heart.
      Day 3: God sets the course before the game.
      Day 4: Obedience equals results.
      Day 5: Place hope in a compassionate God.

• Carin says:

This was my favorite chapter by FAR!

1. I love how Priscilla says “Evangelism is not something to do; it is a way to live”. Sometimes how we live can minister to not only non-believers but to other Christians too. My husband & I just experienced something in our business just recently with another christian couple. They were upset with us with something that was not our fault. We took the steps to go above & beyond what we should have done because in the end they saw that we didn’t do “what the world” wanted us to do. We did what Christ would have wanted us to do.

3. Not equipped/or knowledgeable enough.

4. I printed all these scriptures out. My goal is to memorize them all. I don’t memorize scriptures and felt this was a good time to start!

One last note- On page 113 “grace for grown-ups” in the middle of the page is a verse “my god will supply all your needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4:19). This verse was so comforting to my soul!

You just reminded me that I wanted to write a blog post with those verses. I’ll do that soon. Loved your comments here, thank you for sharing Carin.

• Lodi says:

1. I have always hoped that by citing my Christianity as the basis for avoiding gossip, making it a point to work hard and with excellence, not using profanity, etc., people in my workplace would be intrigued and want to know more about Christianity, or at the very least have a favorable impression of Christianity.

3. I cannot share what I do not have a firm grasp on myself. Sometimes, it seems as if the Bible is absolutely filled with wonderful promises and stories…that apply to others but not me. While, intellectually, I know this to be false, it is something I struggle with constantly. One result is that I avoid doing too much in the way of explicit witnessing to others, since I fear they would sense my own doubts.

It seems we all suffer from the same insecurity, placed there by Satan and not God. We are perfect in His image, and he showed us in scripture that rarely was someone “mistake free” or without sin. We are created human and as humans, we need to dig into our hearts, discover the love of Jesus and find our feet standing on firm ground with Him. Its possible we judge one another so much and so often, we forget to look at ourselves through the eyes of God. We are His Daughters…and the only audience that matters is His. Our intention and obedience matter more than our results.

Humble me Lord, I pray. let me fall to my knees before you…as I accept your gifts of MERCY and GRACE.

1. How can I make disciples in my daily life? By trying to be a better wife, Mom, teacher, etc. By being more positive and stopping complaining and mouthing when things go wrong. Be more patient with others and demonstrate God’s love even when I want to say, “What is wrong with you?” (I’m sure God would say that about me sometimes…) Also, I love facebook… it is one of my favorite things to do and one way I can use it is through my statuses… I try to bring God glory as I post what’s going on in my life and also be encouraging to others.
    2. I had trouble identifying a Ninevah, and God finally pointed out to me (at least I think it is coming from Him… see, there is that self-doubt)_ that my Ninevah is just my day to day stuff, no matter how significant. Difficulties I come in contact with are bad attitudes, disrespect, foul language, and fear (my own).
    3. I often feel as though I am not equipped or not knowledgeable enough about God’s word. Who am I to speak up and offer my opinion… and do I really know enough scripture to back it?
    4. My favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11… and I use it for my nursing students all the time (even though I’m not supposed to be talking God talk on the job). I try to use it to help point out to them that even though what they are going through is tough, God wants them to prosper. also love 1 Corinthians 12:9… it’s really been speaking to me through this study.

Its possible that God is holding off your Nineveh until you come in with a pure heart. You are wise to know that something is misfiring in you, causing you to think and say things that frustrate you. Continue to give this to God in prayer. You can even do the “body prayer” before bed each night. Start with the toes, and pray over your feet. “Lord, I pray for a cleansing of my feet, washing away any negative emotions and thoughts from the cells in my feet.” Then the ankles, lower legs…etc until you finish at your head. As you do this, also pray for God to remove the negative cells, anoint you with pure water, and layer you with the fragrance of His beauty. You are, after all, a Daughter of the King and once you complete your “beauty treatment” you’ll be ready to battle an army in the name of the Lord. I’m so proud of you for your honesty and faithful sharing.

I did this prayer for about 3 weeks and noticed a big change inside my heart.

• Mary Ann says:

1. On page 107, you listed some ways you can make disciples as you go about your daily routine. What can you intentionally do during the day to make disciples? I talk about this Bible study with everyone I know and meet. I actually had to go and have bloodwork done the other day. When the phlebotomist began making small talk I said, “I prayed for God’s mercy and healing power to clear my body from a need for this medication, but if not, His grace was enough.” She looked at me and said, “I’m a student and I prayed that I would do better with you than I with the others day!” I told her that if she didn’t, God’s grace for good enough. Turns out she didn’t do very well (went into my muscle causing alot of pain) but I told her it was ok, God’s grace was good enough. Everything doesn’t have to be as we want. She said, “Thank you for that.” It was uncomfortable at first, but I did it. Now I know I can….and I will.
    2. As you consider your own group of Ninevites, what challenges or difficulties do you face? (page 110) My own fear and getting over hurt feelings for wrongs done to me.
    3. What are your concerns about sharing God’s word with others? (page 119) That someone will ask a question or have a retort and I will be too dumbfounded to respond.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 is my favorite

I love the blood draw story….we can find the Spirit moving if we just look for it as you did! Satan has conditioned Christians to fear speaking in the name of Jesus…because we’ll offend someone if we say something like “merry Christmas.” So speaking as you did opens the doors of communication. My husband wears Christian t-shirts and everywhere he goes people comment “I like your shirt!” It opens doors to witnessing.

• MaryAnn says:

Thanks Christine. I find it very easy to say things online, but boy—when I don’t know a person’s heart and I come face to face with them, I get tongue tied. I’m always afraid they are going to say something for which I will not have a response. That’s why I loved watching Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort doing their street evangelism (although I wish they would show some of the people who really gave them trouble.)

I think we all have that same fear, and the enemy uses it to his advantage in the same way he keeps us from speaking about God to nonbelievers. As a society we’ve learned to speak from the MIND and not from the HEART. Praying that this will change and we’ll see a revival in the family of Christ.

• Sharon says:

1.On page 107, you listed some ways you can make disciples as you go about your daily routine. What can you intentionally do during the day to make disciples? Be the one to strike up a conversation or if another does be willing to bring God into it.

2.As you consider your own group of Ninevites, what challenges or difficulties do you face? (page 110) People not wanting to discuss anything of a religious nature or God in general.

3.What are your concerns about sharing God’s word with others? (page 119) Need more knowledge of the Bible though I have found that words often come to mind that are the right words. I do need to know better where the Scripture is located though.

4.On page 120, Priscilla created a list of scripture verses for ministering to others. What verses do you use in similar situations?

This is what the LORD says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jer 6:16

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Prov 16:9

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matt 7:7-8

If you have a social site, such as facebook or twitter, start quoting scripture. Many will interact with you and say its the verse they needed to hear at that time, or you just touched their heart. As you do this, you start to find favorite verses and the more you quote them the easier it is to remember the verse location. I too struggled with this and quoting scripture has helped me tremendously with my “poor memory.” 😉

• Sue Schwendemann says:

1. As I go about my day of walking the dogs, going to the store and the people I meet along the way….. I say have a blessed day. Also if someone looks like they need help, I ask to help them and say those four little words above to them.

2. The churches I attended in the past only cared about what was going on inside of their walls, and did not seen to want to spread the Word of God, even if a few of us wanted to do out into the community. So we were under verbal attacks from the church.

3. Not equipped, not knowledgeable enough, not eloquent enough.

4. In a similar situation I would use The Romans Road, if I felt the need to witness and try not to walk away.

Today there is a woman in our community who made international news for raping two teen boys. Her court appearance is today in a city I am visiting. So I decided to drive by the courthouse, park, and say a prayer for her, her family and the boys. Initially I reacted like a non-Christian and condemned this woman, hating her for her sin. Then Jesus spoke to my heart telling me He loved her and I should too. So in the course of my daily routine, I will reroute to the courthouse and offer prayers in the name of Jesus who loves us no matter how big or small the sin.

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Christine,

I applaud your bravery in doing this….I would have a hard time with that.
        Not the praying part, but the going there, and praying. I just cannot pray out loud, no matter how hard I try or the circumstances. On the other hand I HAVE NO problem talking to a total stranger.

Pray silently.

God placed it in my heart to do this for this mom, through I completely abhor what she did. God wants me to experience forgiveness for another human being. He is showing me the world through the eyes of Jesus and not my own. How would Jesus look at this woman….He’d love her and offer her eternal life if she chooses to believe.

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Christine,

I pray silently real well all most all the time. I pray silently in the mornning when we are walking for about an hour…the babies and I. Thanks for all you do for us. Blessings.

• Sue Schwendemann says:

OPPS forgot to say I would pray for her also. See above posts please.
            Thanks…….Blessing again.

1.On social sites, I can post scripture verses and book quotes to lead people in faith and bring the Word and voice of God to them in their daily activities.

2. I face bias and verbal attacks from those within the church, the family of Christ, as I intend to open their eyes to the modern presence of the Holy Spirit and living God.

3. Not equipped, not knowledgeable enough, not eloquent enough.

4. My favorites (NIV):

He will cover you with his feathers,and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. Psalm 91:4

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:30

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14

• Joeanna says:

I am afraid that I would join Ninevah, instead of going there to do what God ask. I came from Ninevah, I don’t want to go back.

• Joeanna says:

1John4:9-10….9 God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins

• Joeanna says:

This week was so freeing to be reminded that God goes before me..this helps with my anxiety.
    I see a line in my mind, a line of no return if I get my stubborn self just a millimeter past the line God will do the rest.

I read a book about the “third line of faith,” the last chapter in Craig Groeschel’s book called “The Christian Atheist.” Craig saw three lines before him:

Line 1: I believe in God and the gospel of Christ enough to benefit from it.

Line 2: I believe in God and Christ;s gospel enough to contribute comfortably.

Line 3: I believe in God and Christ’s gospel enough to give my life to it.

• Joeanna says:

Awesome, Thanks Christine. I want to cross line #3…What joy i would have if i could stop everything and focus on giving every second of the day to God.