We’ve finished our last week of study with a lesson on Spiritual Warfare 401. In this lesson from the book The Invisible War, author Chip Ingram discusses deliverance from demonic influence; a lesson on how to respond when the enemy is already inside your life. We looked at intercessory prayer, which Ingram believes is missing in the life of most Christians and churches today. He stressed the importance of prayer which is consistent, intense and strategic and gave us the example of praying ACTS. We’ve used this prayer method in my church small group and if you’re not already doing this I recommend you give it a try!
- Adoration- give praise to God
- Confession-confess to God
- Thanksgiving-give thanks to God
- Supplication-present your requests to God
In this week’s study, Ingram listed three common pathways to demonic influence. These activities include: sin, spiritual rebellion and unresolved anger and bitterness. Ingram follows this with a list of symptoms which may be demonic and cautions us “the Bible doesn’t imply that all the following symptoms are demonic, but it does warn us to consider the demonic as a possible source.” We learned how the demonic disguises itself as a form of entertainment-through tarot cards, Ouija boards and fortune telling-and easily can slip into an open door for a demonic invitation.
For those deeply influenced by the demonic, Chip Ingram suggests exploring the ministries of Neil Anderson and Mark Bubeck.
You can watch the series at LivingOnTheEdge.org
We reset the prayer wall at the end of each month, so be sure to post new prayer requests on December 1st.
In the end of the book, Ingram shares the prayers of his ten-year-old son. Write out your own version of this prayer and practice saying it aloud. Kneeling by his bed, his son prayed “Dear Lord Jesus, thank you that I am complete in Christ, and I thank you that I have the armor of God. Dear Lord, these spirits are seeking to assault me tonight, and in the blood of Jesus, by his great name and power, I command them to leave me alone. I claim right now that greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world. Depart from this bedroom and go where Jesus sends you. Amen” (Source: The Invisible War, Chip Ingram)
Chip Ingram Quotes
- Intercessory prayer is our most powerful and strategic corporate weapon in spiritual warfare.
- Power falls where prayer prevails.
- Demonic forces shudder when God’s people begin to pray.
- Sin is probably the most common pathway to demonic influence.
- Sin is an open door to evil spirits.
- While the war is invisible, victory and defeat are not.
This Week’s Memory Verse (NASB)
You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
For Next Week
Be sure to get the workbook and join us in our Christmas Bible Study: Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore. Our study begins November 30.
Chip Ingram recommends these resources if you want to further your understanding of demonis influence:
- The Adversary by Mark Bubeck
- Overcoming the Adversary by Mark Bubrck
- Powers of Evil, a Biblical Study of Satan and Demons by Sydney Page
Group Discussion– Answer one or as many as you want.
- Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? What can you do to be less distracted? (page 162 )
- What kind of prayers do you usually bring to God? Do they fall in the category of personal desires or kingdom purposes? (page 162 )
- Has this study helped you become more sensitive to demonic influences in your life? If so, how? (page 174 )
- Share your thoughts about this study.
Love in Christ,