One and Only Week 2: The Son of God

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Cafe, we’ve just finished reading week two of Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore. Some women are just starting the study and a few are catching up and getting into the routine of reading scripture each day. I enjoyed reading your comments from last week’s group discussion- your individual comments add value to the group study. This week our reading started with a circumcision and ended with the birth of a ministry; we covered a 30-year time span in just five days. There are so many unanswered questions and details not available to us in this part of scripture. The most nagging question for me is why people left Jesus alone as he was growing up, and did not attach themselves to him like modern day paparazzi. Why weren’t crowds of people walking pilgrimages to see this boy who would be King? I found a tiny clue in two scripture verses from our study:

• But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19 ( Jesus was just born and the shepherds spread the word )
  • Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. Luke 2:51 ( Jesus was 12 years old then )

It appears Mary did not tell people who her son really was. She did not gossip and she kept these treasures in her heart, knowing when the time was right, God would call His son to ministry. Mary was obedient to the Lord and she was filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. ( Galatians 5:22-23 ) Mary and Joseph raised their firstborn son under the Jewish law of the time. Beth Moore gives us a good visual description of the life Jesus lived while waiting for His calling.

Our bible study started with the birth of the Savior, we see a glimpse of him at age 12, and then His story resumes in Luke 3:21-22 “When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened  and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.””  Instead of a celebration and hymns of praise, Jesus begins His ministry in 40 days of isolation, with a few visits from Satan himself. I hope you saw the key verses listed for Christ’s defense against the enemy, and jotted these down for future use! If they worked for Jesus, they’ll work for you.

• Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone. Luke 4:4
  • Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’ Luke 4:8
  • Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’ Luke 4:1

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Christ buys us from our natural parentage, which is sinful flesh, in order to give us to His Father.
  • Unfathomable wealth is hidden in Jesus.
  • God shielded Jesus’ young life from the complications of divine acts.
  • God allows circumstances to exist in our lives to drive us to dependency on Him.
  • Faith is not the avoidance of questions. Our faith grows when we seek answers.
  • Christ came to show us that the deeply spiritual is very practical.
  • God never intended Himself to be viewed within church walls alone.
  • If you leave God at church, your life will remain unchanged.
  • Challenging God is not only void of faith; it is also foolish.
  • Don’t fight Satan with your words, fight back with God’s!

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form. Colossians 2:9

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. John 3:18

No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. John 6:46

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 1 John 4:9

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. Luke 4:18-19

• Read Week Three in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Three Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Three Video (optional)

2. What do you think “putting God to the test” means? (page 49)
  3. Give Christ’s ministry a name that summarizes Luke 4:18-19 (page 51).
  4. Share something from this week’s lesson that was meaningful for you.

• Carin says:

Trying to catch up with some days off!

Characteristics- Godly people that are kind & trustworthy. I also admire people that are givers. That is something I do not do enough and I am trying to learn from those that do.

Putting God to the test- I put by having no faith.
    I did however struggle with this question. There are other scriptures in the bible about “testing God” Like tithing, he says test me and I will fill up your barns (my version). So I am a little confused by this still…

What was meaningful to me this week- Day 3 – picturing Jesus. I love have how Beth gives us an opportunity to really picture him. Last week there was a movie on with Charlton Heston playing Jesus. After reading how I pictured Jesus I ending up turning off the movie. I though Charlton Heston was gruff and mean sounding. Not what I pictured Jesus as.

• Coleen Sosa says:

Oh!!! And people who have been pulled out of the miry clay by Our Awesome God!! Delivered addicts, drunks, criminals etc. My old Pastor in Vero Beach, FL used to call us the “Church of misfits”!!! But let me tell you, what happened when us misfits would lift our hands and hearts to praise, pure DYNAMITE!!!

• Jessica says:

Sorry I’m late in responding… 🙂

1) I tend to favor people who are humble, gentle, strong, true, genuine, and with a good sense of humor.

2) Make God prove Himself, or demanding that He show up! Oh, I have done this recently – this pierced my heart… I didn’t realize that was what was going on, but I believed the lie – God if you fix my marriage or God if you heal my son THEN I will know You are Good and You love me… He is asking that I trust even now – when it’s all a scary mess… trust now!!

3) TRF – Transformation, Restoration and Freedom Ministries! I am seeing this very slowly, but I’m seeing it become truth in my life! Thank you Jesus Christ!!

4) I enjoyed this week… loved looking through Mary’s lenses. WOW!!
    Bottom of pg 38 – my middle son has a rare disease, so he is “different” and it makes our family dynamic unique – I LOVE that I can find comfort and solace in the Word!!
    I also loved the quote at the bottom of pg 39 – Christ still listens – but not to learn, since He knows all things. Rather, He allows us to pour out our hearts!

• Sue says:

I go back to read the sharing that I may have missed after reading the first time. I am really touched by your share. I too was pierced to realize I was testing God by some of my bad habits. Then your statement “He is asking that I trust even now — when it’s all a scary mess…trust now!!” is the key to all troubled times and difficult circumstances and is extremely meaningful to me. I never want to be tested in the ways that some of my friends are tested, but I always pray that please please let me be faithful when my tests and trials come. I just know that if we are, then we will be kept in the mysterious grace of God. And lastly, I will pray for your middle son. I have a grandson who not only is blind but has significant birth defects in how his brain formed. I understand when you say “it makes our family dynamic unique”. May God bless you and your family mightily with His enormous grace and help. I love that God promises to bring His blessing and good for us out of all circumstances when we love Him and are called to His purposes.

• Jennifer says:

First of all I want to say that I am so grateful to be sharing Jesus with all of you in such a special way this Christmas season! I am so grateful for the e-mail reminders sent to help keep us on track and focused! Really, spending my time with Christ and others that love HIM is my favorite activity to be involved in.

1. I tend to admire those that are fully focused on the purpose that GOD has called them to. Not competing with others on the path to serving GOD but instead just fully focused on proper relationship with our Lord and Savior. I also admire those that make love their focal point as it covers a multitude of sins in ourselves and those that we meet.

2. I don’t think our LORD minds us asking questions regarding things that we honestly do not understand but putting HIM to the test is to place and test HIS person or character. This reveals the evil hidden within our hearts when this is the case. GOD is a discerner of the heart of mankind so HIs displeasure with our responses or reactions towards HIM is solely based on that not on specific actions. We must learn to know the heart of GOD.

• Laura says:

What are some of the characteristics of people who tend to capture your favor? (page 44) Honest, humble, humorous, inclusive, inspiring.

What do you think “putting God to the test” means? (page 49) It means you have doubts and you want Him to do something, miraculous to prove…… Himself.

Give Christ’s ministry a name that summarizes Luke 4:18-19 (page 51).Open Arms

Share something from this week’s lesson that was meaningful for you. Open Arms Because: God’s love takes in ALL, unlike other religions Christianity takes in every class, honors male and female, sinner – sinners with “little” sins or even murders – accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, and that is the best and greatest hope! That in your pig pen of sins, accepting Jesus lifts you up to the table in God’s home as His child, no status other than HIS, no longer condemned as sinner, there are still consequences from those past actions, however you know where your resting place shall be.

I love the way God embraces His children with open arms. We are the prodigal children and He is the Daddy preparing the banquet for us.

• Magaly says:

1. I tend to surround myself with honest, funny, giving, loving people.

3. Hope of Glory

• Magaly says:

• Vrena P says:

1. Those that capture my favor tend to me considerate, joyful, un-selfish, possess a sense of humor, friendly, go out of their way to help everyone around them and generally exhibit the graciousness of our Lord. I truly enjoy being around these kind of people.

2. To me, testing God has a negative connotation. It’s almost like saying “if you are so great, then save me from this horrible xyz thing” and actually expecting God to do so. If you know something isn’t right or it’s harmful to you, then common sense says to behave. I tend to believe that God gave us common sense for a reason…so as not to ‘test’ him.

3. I’m not very original but I think I’d go with ‘Sinner’s Savior Solutions’

4. I love Beth’s quote “Christ buys us from our natural parentage, which is sinful flesh, in order to give us to His Father.” It speaks to me and calls me to be still when I’m screwing up. I may have drawn disappointment to my family in one way or another, but Christ loves me for me and knows my heart. That one little fact helps me clear out the negative thought closet and focus on righting myself in a positive way.

• Joanna says:

I love to be around people who love God and are transparent. People who are caring and shine with Hope

Testing God is being careless and selfish and beliving that God will take care of our mess

My favorite part was the part of The Lord’s Christ-

• Marietta says:

1.What are some of the characteristics of people who tend to capture your favor? (page 44)

Strong, yet tender, compassionate and understanding beyond words. Pleasing sense of humor. Vulnerable. Open. Calmly self-confident but not self absorbed.

2.What do you think “putting God to the test” means? (page 49)

Doubting or challenging whether he really means what he says.

3.Give Christ’s ministry a name that summarizes Luke 4:18-19 (page 51).

Annointing ministry.

4.Share something from this week’s lesson that was meaningful for you.

Visualizing what Christ might have looked like. I had not thought about his appearance much. Now, as we begin to create a vision, I am attracted to him to my great surprise. Not because he is handsome in the physical sense but because of his magnetic character. I have a new, exciting affection for Christ that quickens the spirit within me.

• Mindy says:

It feels good to be with them because they build you up, they are trustworthy, happy/pleasant, patient, kind, humorous, godly.

2.What do you think “putting God to the test” means? (page 49)

I loved her phrase “disguising a dare by calling it faith.”

3.Give Christ’s ministry a name that summarizes Luke 4:18-19 (page 51).

I came up with “In the Flesh.”

4.Share something from this week’s lesson that was meaningful for you.

I appreciated being asked to describe a way Satan has or might tempt me to put God to the test (p 49). I’m currently single but long for a partner and at this point he might put someone “dreamy” but non-believing in my path since I’m desiring to be with someone. However, I’ve asked God for a man of faith so Satan’s “guy” would certainly be a temptation. I hadn’t really thought of this, and feel better prepared to be alert and faithful.

• Judee Baysinger says:

I know how it fells to have a little one lost. My oldest daughter was lost for a whole afternoon when she was four. Even though Jesus was older, he worried His mom and dad just the same. There are no words to describe the way I felt when we finally found Kim. Jesus was gone for 3 days, Mary must have been overwhelmed with relief. She would have been all over the emotional scale. I know I was.
    In Christ…

1. People that tend to capture my favor are…trustworthy, kind, warm, have a sense of humor, loyal, full of love for other people, show kindness to people, and have a love for Jesus in ther heart.

2. Putting God to the test….trying His patience, to see what He will do. Also not trusting Him to do as He says He will…testing Him that way to see if He will come through with what is right for you/or another answer, you do not what to hear.

3. Ministry name….. The Lord’s Favor….sorry I just could not think of anything esle.

4. How did Mary and Joseph deal with all of this??? Is Joseph forgotten in all of this??? I know just questions. Will also thinking that Jesus was a human, not just the Son Of God. The part were he bled as a child, worked in Joseph’s shop, and got into trouble. I just always pictured him a Jesus, not man.

• Cindy H says:

1. I am drawn to people who have the love of God shining out of their eyes.
    2. Sometimes, like Jacob wrestling the angel, I “wrestle” God until He gives me the peace that I so need. Perhaps this is putting God to the test.
    3. My name for Jesus’ ministry……Walking Hand in Hand with the Master.
    4. Reading the scripture….when Mary and Joseph went to the temple and Simeon prayed over the baby, breaking Mary’s heart when she heard that a sword would pierce her soul. But, sweet Anna just happened to be there at the same time….”Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.” How that must have eased Mary’s fears and touched her heart. So like God to put people like that in our lives just at the right time.

• Shannon says:

People who tend to capture my favor are those who want me to do things with them, funny, who have a common curiousity and a love for others, and those that are able to talk and tell stories.

I think putting God to the test means purposefully walking into sin, knowing he can get you out.

A name for Christ’s ministry — Saving Grace. I probably heard this somewhere, but it was the first thing to come to mind.

Christ probably had a beard. I don’t think I have ever pictured him that way.

I need to quit subsisting on the contributions of others into my life and feast on Christ. This time of year is probably the hardest because I want to go here and spend time with these people and go over there and spend time with these other people, but I think this can easily take Christ out of the season. I need to make sure to make time for him and me!

• Jennifer K says:

Well I’m not quite caught up yet but I did read ahead for the questions portions.
    4) My most meaningful part of the study this week so far is just really learning about how Jesus was introduced to the world. Also the beautiful correlations between the Jewish laws and how God blended them to fit us as Gentiles born again through Christ. I love seeing it all come together in my mind!
    1) I am drawn to people who have strong opinions and good morals, honorable, godly, easy going, and happy 🙂 I love interacting with people and I like to be challenged so I am generally drawn to people different from me which helps me grow.

1. Characteristics in someone who captures my favor- friendly, kind, approachable, funny, good listeners, caring
    2. Putting God to the test means trying him out. When you put something materially to the test, it means you are seeing how strong it is, or how far it will go. When we put God to the test, we are essentially challenging HIm… who is unchallenged by anything. It implies doubt and goes against faith.
    3. My name for the Ministry… and I thought this was hard! “Good News… in Person”
    4. I loved the video lesson… how wonderful to imagine Heaven opening and having God say He was pleased with His son… makes me look forward to the day when the clouds will reveal His glory and we will go to our eternal reward! So many of the lessons this week have resonated… I wish we knew more about HIs childhood… it’s hard to imagine HIm doing “normal” things… I love that He is the imbodiement (?spelling?) of all of God’s promises… and that we can Amen all of them because He is the Yes!!! Have found myself so much more tenderhearted toward Christmas, and looking at things from so many perspectives!

1. I am attracted to people who are calm, quiet, confident, steady, happy, and have a sense of humor.

2. I think putting God to the test means asking Him to prove that He is trustworthy.

3. Healing Hands or Saving Grace (creative thinking is NOT one of my strong points).

4. I was reassured and encouraged by the fact that Christ was asking the teachers in the temple courts questions. I am not normally the least bit afraid to ask questions about pretty much anything (sometimes to the embarrassment and/or annoyance of my 17 year old son) but for some reason I hold back on asking questions when it comes to religious matters. I always feel like people will think I’m stupid or should naturally know whatever it is I’m asking about. Knowing that Christ asked questions will help me to be less self-conscious when I have a question in the future.

And I actually do have a question…would anyone mind sharing what they came up with on page 45, the second to last question, “How do you think John knew what they might be wondering?” I couldn’t think of a single thing and didn’t pick up on anything from the video either. I know it’s not a critical question but I’m just curious.

I think they may have been bringing offerings and gifts to John, and they started talking and treating him differently.

• Shannon says:

I think it may have been that John knew the people or divine revelation.

• Sue says:

I jotted down 2 things:
      The Holy Spirit — I agree with the person who said it was divine revelation
      and secondly their responses — the expression in their eyes and faces and their body language, so I agree with the person sho said they were treating him differently.

• Michelle G says:

I wrote that John knew very well that the Jewish people were anxiously waiting for the Messiah. With his unapolgetic aggressive approach to repentance he could see the talk and chatter amongst those coming to him, the anticipatory look in their eyes and the way they treated him that made him see what they were hoping and looking for in him.

Angie,

I wrote down John was around the same age as Jesus, know the scriptures, people saw him as a different person, and the Holy Spirit was with him.

Thank you all very much! Your responses were great and helped alot.

• Barbara M says:

1-I look for friends who are warm, genuine, encouraging. This made me think of what my friends might say about me as their friend.

4-I love the meaning of “favor” on p. 43, which is charis, meaning grace. Grace is so hard to define, so abstract–Beth’s explanation in this passage makes it easier to understand and so precious.

• Michelle G says:

Barbara I had the same thought as you regarding what I look for in a friend. Am I the same kind of person I am attacted to in others? And the answer after looking in the mirror was definately not always. Ughh.

• Hien says:

2. What do you think “putting God to the test” means?
    It’s us playing God, trying to dictate what HE should be doing for US. Who are we to dictate what He will or will not do, how He chooses to do it, or when He will do it, and then base our faith in Him off that? God is sovereign and His plan most likely isn’t ours. But have faith, He works all things for good.

How are you doing???? Getting some sleep I pray. Are you please staying in the surgery field?????? So glad to see you on here. Blessings and prayers to you always.

• Hien says:

Got into a little wreck tonight in the ice. I’m fine but will have to figure out the logistics of getting the car fixed, which is not drivable. As if I had nothing else to do huh? Well, I’ve been taught that He is sovereign, I’ll try to remember that.

• Michelle G says:

1) I am attactted to those that have a cheerful heart in their circumstances. That show their love for the Lord through their trials and show grace, love and kindness.
    2) I see testing God as challenging His word and making Him prove himself
    4) I loved the comparison of how Luke described Christs lineage from a gentile standpoint versus MAtthew from a Jewish standpoint. Again something I had not thought of. I also really appreciated Beth Moores video proclaiming all the scriptures are relevant to all of us no matter our circumstances all the time today. Our current paths today are very important. I praise God that my husband and I were again able to share some of this weeks lesson together.

• Sue says:

This week’s study was extremely significant to me and where I am at. I won’t go into anymore on that.
    The following are a combination of scriptures, Beth’s comments and my thoughts as I jotted them in my margins, because they are all significant to me:
    God constantly reveals His glory to us (even when we’re not noticing).
    The greatest callings of God are the gravest as well.
    God always answers, even though sometimes we don’t even understand enough to know that we were answered.
    Discretion will preserve you; understanding will keep you.
    Worldly authority and glory was given to Satan, and Satan gives them to whoever he wishes.
    Ferocious physical appetites are the fodder for much temptation.
    I am the God who heals you; make whole; repair.
    Only Jesus can fill our emptiness.
    Christ proclaimed freedom; he didn’t impose it.

• Amy says:

This statement really hit home to me: “We forget who we are in Christ and thus behave differently than if we remembered. Who will constantly remind us?” We do so often forget and I know I am terrible about it. Letting the petty slights and annoyances of life make me forget. It’s also a couse of alot of our problems as well.

• Jen M says:

1. I also am drawn to people that are selfless and give to others. I also like people that have a lot to say and I can learn from them. Obviously, Jesus would be the epitome of that!

2. Ditto on what CK said.

4. Something that really caught my attention this week was focusing on the Jewish culture, which was extremely helpful in picturing the life of Jesus. My favorite part was Jesus reading in the temple and when he said that this prophecy is fulfilled today, everyone just stared at him. I never really noticed that passage before, but it really cracked me up! I got such a visual, can you imagine their faces???

I’m laughing right now picturing it! How sad to have the one you had been looking for all along standing right in your midst, shouting at you, “Hey, it’s me… This is who he’s talking about” and never realize it!

I found the insight Beth provided on the Jewish culture interesting as well Jen. When she talked about Him reciting certain prayers when He got up in the morning, other prayers when He ate and dressed, and still others when He went to bed I thought of 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – “pray continually”.

• Vrena P says:

The Jewish culture has always been confusing to me, but studying a little of it through Jesus’ life seems to clarify it some for me. I’ve truly enjoyed learning about it in this way.

• Jaimie says:

1. I tend to look for people who are transparent. They are not only willing to listen, but willing to SHARE. I cannot tell you all how much I have learned from my sisters in Christ, and from the enlightenment God blesses me with through them!

2. I think it means daring God to do what He says He can do. With faith, we don’t doubt His power, therefore we should not be asking Him to prove it.

1. What are some of the characteristics of people who tend to capture your favor? (page 44)People who are walking by faith, grace and love. Putting God first before all people and things and decisions. Sincere, loyal and trustworthy.

2. What do you think “putting God to the test” means? (page 49) An act of unbelief and a lack of faith. A bad choice.

3. Give Christ’s ministry a name that summarizes Luke 4:18-19 (page 51). “Ministry of the Spiritually Disabled”

4. Share something from this week’s lesson that was meaningful for you. I enjoyed the analysis of Isaiah 61:1-2 with Luke 4:18-19 I really enjoy it when Beth makes us look at scripture line by line, word by word- I learned so much from this exercise.

• CK says:

Let’s see if the third time posting is the charm!

1. People who are able to put themselves aside and help others before helping themselves, especially when others are in need. I think it is truly a gift to recognize when another person needs help because many won’t ever say they need it.

2. I think putting God to the test is a way a person shows that there are some cracks in their faith. Kind of like bargaining with prayer, such as ” if You answer this prayer I will go to church three times a week”. It’s almost like daring God to do something which is not a fulfilling prayer life.

3. Ministry of Hope. Basic, I know, but Jesus reached out to those who truly had darkness in their lives and needed Him; the poor, the weak, the sick, the oppressed, the suffering.

4. I enjoyed focusing on Scriptures that talked about Jesus as a person. He had a mother and father who worried over him, he was a carpenter, he had friends who cared about him. It reminded me that prayer does not always have to be formal but I can talk to Him on my drive home if I need to…safer than a cell phone 🙂

(note: the first two comments did come through also, there is a delay when you post a comment, it needs to be approved by the moderator because we receive lots of spam)

Love your title… cause that’s just what He is… hope for the hopeless! Love that you reminded us that a talk is informal… we can be in conversation with HIm all the time!