One and Only Week 5: The Christ of God

What a perfect title for this week’s lesson in Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore! All week long as we kept our eyes in our bibles and followed the workbook of chapter five, we became observers of the Christ of God.  Our week started when Jesus was calm in the storm- even sleeping- while the disciples experienced fear. Jesus had full knowledge of the coming storm, and he slept. Author Max Lucado writes in his book Fearless “Christ followers contract malaria, bury children, and battle addictions, and as a result, face fears. It’s not the absence of storms that set us apart. It’s whom we discover in the storm: an unstirred Christ.” We discover the storm was a prelude to a demonic encounter, possibly even a warning of spiritual warfare. If you studied Spiritual Warfare with us, then you may recall that a spiritual attack is usually sparked by one of five events:

1. Spiritual Growth
  2. Invading Enemy Territory
  3. Exposing the Enemy
  4. Breaking the World
  5. Blessings to Come

He knew, the Christ of God, and He demonstrates faith in the path of the enemy. Like us, the disciples were learning and Jesus was teaching them that fear is a perceived loss of control. “Take courage, I am here” Jesus replies in Matthew 14:27 NLT. Max Lucado writes “Look over your shoulder, that’s God following you. Look into the storm, that’s Christ coming toward you.” Take courage, He is always near. When the thief comes to steal your identity or your dignity, Jesus is near.  When you are hiding in a tomb of self-destruction, Jesus is near. All you need to do is call upon His name. Jesus. And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Acts 2:21 NIV

We are not unnoticed to God, as we read in our study. When we acknowledge our faith, He acknowledges us. Christ extended His authority and power to the 12 disciples, then sent them out to spread the Good News of the Kingdom and heal people. They returned to the Teacher, and his compassion overflows as he demonstrates His love by offering them rest and a miracle of food. This entire week of study was so moving and loving, as we see the Son teaching his disciples, and us. As we learned on Day five, Christ’s church is built on this immovable testimony. As a member of His church, own it and claim it as yours. Stand with Him on the Kingdom ground which he built for His children.

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• The one place Christ will not force His presence is the human heart.
  • The pure basics of human dignity are often the targets of demonic assault.
  • Stealing dignity is Satan’s agenda, not God’s.
  • Violence is one of the most obvious fingerprints of Satan.
  • Not all supernatural power comes from God.
  • Bad news usually gathers a bigger audience than good news.
  • God commands us to help take care of needs, not greeds.
  • One minute a rock- the next minute a stumbling block.

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV

Freely you have received; freely give. Matt 10:8 NIV

But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’ John 15:25 NIV

But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Cor 11:3 NIV

• Read Week Six in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Six Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Six Video (optional)

1. How do we know if our times of isolation are being used by God or by the enemy? ( page 105 )
  2. What analogy would you use to describe how Jesus felt when the bleeding woman touched His robe? ( page 106 )
  3. Why do you think Christ may have been testing His disciples? ( page 116)
  4. When we’re struggling, how can we stir in our thinking the things of God rather than the things of man? ( page 121 )
  5. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

• Carin says:

Isolation- God or Enemy-
    I think of the term “Times of Isolation” as being forced to be isolated. Like my husband being out of the house or being sick (with lack of control). I first wrote down I “purposely” meet with God every morning to pray and read my study. To me that is not really isolation in the context I think this study is asking.
    This last weekend I had a flu bug. I believe it was used by God in many ways. For one I really needed to rest from the last three months of long working hours and two I was on a movie marathon and realized how much I had changed on filling up my mind. I found on one channel the mini series on Noah’s ark. I find these movies so much more intriguing since I have been digging deep in God’s word. I also have been irritated on how movies portray God and Jesus (which is good that I am getting a more loving attitude towards how they are portrayed).

2. Bleeding Woman-
    I am not sure how Jesus felt from a human experience. It had to be a supernatural feeling. I can’t imagine if someone touched me that was bleeding.

3. Disciples-
    I loved this! This blew my mind. How could these guys go out heal people and cast out demons and not even think that Jesus could provide food? WOW, I realized I really need to write down in a journal, all the miracles and answered prayers that God has done for me/us. So when something likes this comes around that I think…well God did this for us why couldn’t he do this for us. He is GOD nothing is to big for him.

4. When we are struggling-
    This is a good question…I am experiencing this a lot lately. I find when I am not in God’s word that my reactions are immediately mans. When I am God’s word I have more of a chance to tell Satan he is a liar. The negative things that are going through my mind are a lie and being able to back that up in either a scripture or listening to a Christian speaker on CD or listening to Christian music. I am finding myself now asking my Christian friends when they are struggling…Are you in God’s word everyday?

5.What I enjoyed the most~
    The disciples not figuring out how to feed 5k people. In John 6:7-When Philip answered him, “It would take more than half a year’s wages to buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!”-
    I think because of our financial situation this hit home to me. All I could do is think of our financial situation not God’s. I am thinking to myself…”Philip you just performed miracles how can you NOT think God can feed all these people???

Great idea Carin!! ” I am finding myself now asking my Christian friends when they are struggling…Are you in God’s word everyday? “

• Jennifer says:

1. There are times that we feel uncertain even in our times of isolation with GOD because HE is remaking us and teaching us to depend on HIM to a much deeper degree. When we are out in the deep and in unfamilar territory even in GOD we can experience feeling some “fear” and being uncertain but there will be moment of unexplained joy as well.

2. I think Jesus felt her grave and intense need and the very intention for which the woman with the issue of blood touched Him. As Jesus stated, virtue left HIM, this means energy and life-force!

3. Reading a good book such as the lesson we are sharing now. Asking a Godily friend to pray for us and allowing GOD to speak to us through dreams and visions!

1) I think when you are praying and meditating on God’s scripture during quiet/isolation time you will be filled with peace. Peace is a great indicator that God is telling us everything is okay. If our minds wander while being isolated and we have thoughts of depression, anger, resentment, worldly items, etc. this is the act of the enemy.

2) His power was drained immediately. His body got depleted.

3) Start praying, meditate on scripture. Also, contact someone in the body of Christ that can encourage and get you back on track.

4) There are so many parts of this week’s lesson I enjoyed but the one that stuck out for me was in the third paragraph of page 117 of the workbook. “Christ can perform astounding wonders….” and it ends with “I know of no other way to say it: Christ is into “hole” and “all,” not “half” and “some”.” I already knew this but for some reason this came off the page for me.

Everyone please bear with me again while I jump on my BANDWAGON. Remember, I do not intend to offend. I like all of you guys.

I have been behind again this week due to my husband being in the hospital with pneumonia, and will spent the next few days catching up again, so I am offering a challenge to everyone behind and see how many of us play catch up. I am not complaining just explaining. This is just the way my life runs…a day at a time with a ill husband.

So how is up for a CHALLENGE?????

Prayers and blessing to all.

• Jennifer K says:

Hey Sue Alice I am also behind. I don’t have that great of a reason though just trying to juggle family and working with God time. Which I know I need to work on my priorities and motivation with this bible study because I really do love it.

I know we will be able to catch up though I know God wants us to finish strong.

Even though I’m behind I keep up with the discussions and look ahead in the book because I want to stay involved the best I can.

Jennifer K,

I know how it is to stay motivated…..with a ill husband needing something…..I easily get out track….so I just play catch on one day a week usually on Saturday….not doing so good on it today so far.

Please just stuck with it and it will all work and be worth the effort we put into the study. Just be involved that will help.

Don’t work to hard, and have fun with your family. How many kids???

Blessing and prayers to all of you.

Thanks for the reply.

• Jennifer K says:

2. I am having a hard time of thinking of one good analogy to describe what Jesus felt but a few different scenarios come to mind. I really like Christina’s about the goosebumps all over. What I first thought of which I know is kind of wierd but the feeling you have after a passionate kiss… that ahhh feeling. Jesus was more then happy to heal her and she came to him despite Jewish Law and that pleased him.

• Hien says:

I think the first step here is to continually stir in our thinking the things of God in times we are NOT struggling. If we are already doing that, then the struggles are presented to one already prepared instead of entering into a struggle and then trying to stir our thoughts.

Am I making any sense at all?

1. How do we know if our times of isolation are being used by God or by the enemy? When we align our thoughts with scripture, the Word reveals we are resting in Him. Are we praying, listening and seeking the Father in isolation? I’ll use an example from an emergency room visit with my daughter. We just received bad news, and I wanted to isolate myself and not sit in the massive waiting room of the ER. So my eyes fell upon a bathroom door, a single room, with a lock on the door. Inside I humbled myself and fell head to the floor in prayer to my Father. I was isolated with God and He was speaking to my heart. I don’t like germs, so for me to be in this position on the floor was an act of humility. If I had isolated myself with Satan in that bathroom, I’d be angry with God, afraid, and overwhelmed with waves of depression. Knowing WHO I AM and WHO’S I AM makes the difference when I’m in isolation.

2. What analogy would you use to describe how Jesus felt when the bleeding woman touched His robe? Goosebumps head to toe, a prickly feeling that starts at the back of your neck and goes all the way to your toes. You know something supernatural just happened here on earth. My grandmother used to say that feeling is when angel’s tickle the back of your neck- I will not know until I get to heaven and I can ask them. 🙂

3. Why do you think Christ may have been testing His disciples? He is stripping them of pride and humbling them.

4. When we’re struggling, how can we stir in our thinking the things of God rather than the things of man? Sometimes we are too weak in the midst of our struggle to reach out for Him. So we can claim a Christian friend for intercessory prayer, pulling on her strength when we are weak. We can also be the friend who prays for the friend who is weak. I’ve been in both shoes.

5. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. Each page seemed to overflow with Christ’s love.

Christine, I really appreciate how you are always able to relate what we are studying to your real life circumstances. This is my prayer daily. I can get the book smarts easily enough but I really want to be able to make the real life connection. Thank you for being a great example!

• Michelle G says:

1) If solitude is in anger it is of the enemy. If in peace then it is of God.
    2)A sudden sap of strength. A quick drain.
    3)The disciples had just come from performing miracles of healing and casting out demons. Yet still they needed to see how much more God could and would do.
    4)To stir in our thinking the things of God rather than man we can read scripture, stay faithful to bible study and use the put off and put on concept. Meaning put off something of man like watching an R rated movie and put on something of God like reading a Christian author or writing letters to family or friends.

I underlined *not all supernatural power comes from God and * while not all demonic activity appears violent, virtually all violence originates with the power of darkness. This was a good reminder for me of Satans attacks and to be on guard. I had a bizarre occurance with my husband a week back. We were doing bible study one minute and 5 minutes later got into a fight and we rarely almost never fight. It made my head spin. Then I realized what was going on. Satan doesn’t want me or anyone else growing in their faith. I had forgotten to keep my eyes open and head up to battle this head on. Learned my lesson.

You said “The disciples had just come from performing miracles of healing and casting out demons. Yet still they needed to see how much more God could and would do.” I wonder if Jesus wanted to strip them of any pride? What better way than to reveal a fragmented-faith! He teaches us to always search our hearts and minds, even when we think we have the power to perform miracles, heal others and cast our demons.

• Jen M says:

I think it depends on what is being accomplished during times of isolation. If you are doing something that would glorify God or something destructive. Knowing what the results will be at the end of the isolation time will tell you whether it has been productive or not.
    I thought of it as a drain of energy. Like when you hear shocking news and your knees get weak for a second.
    3. Why do you think Christ may have been testing His disciples? ( page 116)
    Like someone else said, just as your college professor calls you out in class to keep you on your toes and so that he can gauge how well things are getting through to his students, Jesus was making sure it was sinking in with his disciples. He wanted to teach them how to think critically in these situations.
    Lots of prayer and meditating on the Word. I think this is where Scripture memorization would be very helpful.
    5. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.
    I, too, love the story of the woman who touched Jesus’ robe. What an amazing story. I think of how desperate that woman was, and she knew she just needed to get to Him. The disease that caused all those years of suffering were gone in an instant, she could go back to her family and go back to a normal life.

Love this comment from you: “I also loved the story where Jesus raised the widow’s son from the dead. The thought that this may not have been to show others who Jesus was, but simply because Jesus’ heart went out to her. Probably for no other reason. It shows us how He loves us.”

• Barbara M says:

3 I like the use of the term “fragmented faith”–the disciples were just beginning to “get it”, but Jesus wanted them to think even more like Him and see the possibilities that faith can accomplish.
    4 My favorite way to stay focused on Jesus during troubled days is to turn on KLOVE on my computer while I work. Their uplifting music always keeps my mind on Him and His blessings.
    5 The meanings of petros and petra were especially helpful to me. p. 119 I never knew there were 2 different types of rock in that verse.

I liked this too, fragmented faith.

I listen to nothing except KLOVE. In fact, I don;t even know who the popular music artists are if they are not Christian. My 12 yr old daughter is starting to download music from iTunes and her younger sister age 9 is running to me saying “Mom, the words are not Christian! There’s bad stuff on her iPod!” Wouldn’t it be nice if Christian music became the norm of society 🙂 Maybe we’d all live in harmony (sorry, i couldn’t resist the pun )

KLOVE is the first site I go to when I turn my computer on in the morning, and it plays all day. It’s on in my car on the way to work and on the way home. And if I travel, I turn it to the Message on XM. The only real time I listen to other music is in Zumba class or when I am listening to Zumba music as I run on the treadmill, and even then I have Christian music on my playlist. It makes the day go so much smoother!

• Marietta says:

1.How do we know if our times of isolation are being used by God or by the enemy? ( page 105 )

If we rest, pray and study God’s word those times are being used by God.

2.What analogy would you use to describe how Jesus felt when the bleeding woman touched His robe? ( page 106 )

A cocktali waitress in a crowded bar would notice if someone lifted a drink off her tray while she wasn’t looking — the weight and balance would change.

3.Why do you think Christ may have been testing His disciples? ( page 116)

Because he knew he would be leaving them soon and wanted them to be prepared.

4.When we’re struggling, how can we stir in our thinking the things of God rather than the things of man? ( page 121 )

Pay close attention to your peace and as it is threatened, ask for help — from God himself.

5.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

As I read the definition of petra I realized that in Revelations when the Jews return to Israel during the Tribulation, they gather at Petra(!!) which is a mass of rocks and cliffs.

Thanks for sharing this:

“As I read the definition of Petra I realized that in Revelations when the Jews return to Israel during the Tribulation, they gather at Petra(!!) which is a mass of rocks and cliffs.”

• Mindy says:

If I feel refreshed, renewed, encouraged, at peace, I know it was of God; if I feel disgruntled, frustrated, angry I know it’s of the enemy.

I like Christine’s suggestion that it would be like when you get shocked from static electricity. That wasn’t my answer, but I like thinking of it as she describes.

3.Why do you think Christ may have been testing His disciples? ( page 116)

Perhaps as a litmus test to reveal their thinking/level of faith.

Turn to God, his word, godly people. Don’t believe our FEELINGS but believe in God’s truth.

5.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

I love the insights Beth gives. I was a participant in the Spiritual Warfare study, and until this lesson I’d never considered that the “storm” while crossing in the boat was an attack.

It used to frustrate me when I got sick, because that forced me to rest. I was isolated from friends, family and work and I hated being dependent. So I was always angry when I became sick. Now as a Believer, I know that even when I am sick, I am resting and need not be angry. God is always near and anger does not honor Him.

I think the litmus test was also to instruct us, Christ followers.

• magaly says:

1. After a time of isolation with God I feel rested, peaceful, joyful and hopeful. Recharged. If the enemy is there, I get restless, irritable and aggravated. No PEACE.

4. I stir in thinking of God by either speaking the word, recalling what He’s done for me or singing praise songs which instantly shifts my spirit.

Since I was 16 years old, I have always worked and often on Sunday because I worked in retail. Resting was foreign to me, because I was either in school or working. Recently I had a dream where Jesus placed two beds in the center of my office, and we rested side by side with our feet facing each other. The next day I made a decision to REST in Him. No electronics, no housework, no work, no Twitter or Facebook- just Him. It was during the busy season of my job and a few times in the day I struggled with the guilt of not working or the fear of work piling up. I let go of those emotions and allowed myself a gift from God- a day of resting. The next day I discovered I got more work done that I normally do, I was more focused and I was energetic. Jesus knew what I needed and now I make an effort to honor Him by resting one full day a week. He was teaching me not to fear and to trust him to provide. By taking a day of rest, I honor Him and show Him I trust Him to meet my needs, even when I am resting.

Magaly, praising God for the job offers you and your daughter received! Thanks for keeping us updated!

1. In times of isolation we can keep our mind on God, and our minds do not wander away from Him onto worldly things than we are at peace with Him and can listen for His small still voice…..a stirring in our hearts. If the enemy is there than our minds wander away from God onto other things and forget the Lord is there with us. Than we have a tendency to do worldly things and not Godly things.

2. What analogy would I use….like getting hit in the face with a bucket of cold water!!

3. Why do you think Christ may have been testing His disciples….to see if they had learned anything on there own.

4. By praying, reading the Bible, doing Bible study, and keeping our eyes on Jesus. Also being with other Christians.

5. Sharing…I would have liked to see the amazement on the disciples faces when the five thousand were fed. I bet it was a sight to behold.

I hadn’t thought about the wandering mind, thanks for bringing this up Sue. I am easily distracted by my family and home, or at church with 8,000 people I don’t feel intimacy with God. So my quiet time with Him is when I can be in His Presence without losing my focus.

Oh, I would think that about wandering minds as mine does it all the time. I get the 8,000 plus at church>, I am doing about the same thing….I just want to look around and see what everyone is doing and not say focus on God. Will pray for us and our wandering minds. At my quiet time the babies ALWAYS WANT to go out!!!!!!

Sue Alice, I thought the same thing about the disciples when the five thousand were fed. And I bet they were humbled as well! I am also intrigued by how Jesus taught such a large group – I mean could they all hear him at once, did He move through the group teaching, did the people break into smaller groups? I just wonder…

Angie,
        You find the coolest questions…could they all hear Him at once…how I am wondering. I wonder how they all keep from being antsy….I have trouble sitting or standing for over an hour at a time. Blessing to you.

• Sue says:

These were my favorites that I copied from the lesson:
    When Jesus said “Daughter rise up”.
    Without Christ, a legion of humans cannot take authority over a single demon; Jesus can instantly take authority over a legion of demons.
    Jesus is pleased when we live our lives in expectancy; He delights in faith that fully expects Him to act; To live in certainty that Jesus will show up in our circumstances.
    God is attracted to weakness, to those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need him.
    No one goes unnoticed by Jesus, least of all a person acting on faith.
    Would you dare to believe He is completely able?
    Luke 9:3 Take nothing for the journey.
    Matt 10:16 Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
    Our calling is to surrender to God.
    Recognize the counterfeit only because we’re so intimately familiar with the genuine true article.
    Denying self is denying our right to be our own authority.
    The “wild world of Jesus”.

“Daughter Rise Up” would be a great way to center our lives! Lift ourselves up off the pavement where Satan planted our hearts….and come to the table of the Lord.

Sue, I have many of the same ones highlighted and/or underlined in my book. I like how you list them out. It’s like instant encouragement as you read down the list. Thanks!

1. Isolation by the enemy leads to fear, sadness, loneliness, and depression. It is an unending cycle as we lose ourselves in “why”. We begin to fear rejection, even when we crave intimacy. We become negative. Isolation used by God leads to a closeness to Him. There is no loneliness, just a sense of acceptance and the feeling of His presence. WE experience joy and refreshing.
    2. I really didn’t have a good one. I can’t imagine… but I think it would kind of being like thinking that someone is staring at you and then turning around to see that it was true… but Jesus knew she touched Him… how awesome!
    3. To see that they believed what He said was true. Just as a teacher must test a student to make sure they have learned their lesson, Jesus was testing them to see how far they had come.
    4.Prayer, studying the Word, quiet time with God. Taking our focus off of our troubles and putting it on the One who can deal with those troubles.
    5. I have always loved the story of the woman who touched His garment. I think it is so fitting for us, to know that if we will just reach out, He’s right there. We don’t have to be perfect… He knows that we are not. We don’t have to change when we come to Him…. He loves us just as we are. As long as we are reaching out our hand, He will reach out His, and if we just get a brush with Him, just that one feeling, it changes everything!

Liked this:

“Just as a teacher must test a student to make sure they have learned their lesson, Jesus was testing them to see how far they had come.”

I also like what you said about touching Him and reaching out for Jesus. In Jewish culture, you had to be clean and pure before you could approach the Father. Jesus came to show us anyone can approach Him, if we just reach out and touch Him with our hearts. There is a symbol of the woman bleeding (blood)in this story.

1. How do we know if our times of isolation are being used by God or by the enemy? (page 105)

If in our time of isolation we are being lifted up and refreshed, or are becoming rested and restored it is being used by God.

If we are seeking isolation because we are afraid or ashamed, or are hiding from something or someone it is being used by the enemy.

2. What analogy would you use to describe how Jesus felt when the bleeding woman touched His robe? (page 106)

Getting shocked by static electricity when you touch something in the winter.

4. When we’re struggling, how can we stir in our thinking the things of God rather than the things of man? (page 121)

Prayer and meditation on scripture.

5. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

“Freely you have received, freely give.” I needed this reminder.