One and Only Week 9: The Lamb of God

We’ve just finished week nine of Jesus the One and Only, with one week left in this Beth Moore bible study. We’ve placed many miles on our sandals as we followed Jesus from his birth to his Last Supper and I’m excited to see how Beth Moore wraps up this next week. This study has been rich with content and discovery, and many times I found myself stopping the study to just sit and reflect on the words.

Using the words from 1 Peter 5:6-11 NIV insert your name in the blanks and read aloud:

Humble ________, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift ________ up in due time. Cast all ________’s anxiety on him because he cares for ________. Be alert and of sober mind. ________’s enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because ________ knows that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called ________ to his eternal glory in Christ, after ________ have suffered a little while, will himself restore ________ and make ________ strong, firm and steadfast.

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Gods favor was about to be demonstrated through the offering of His perfect Son.
  • Satan’s methodological planning counterfeits the awesome work of God.
  • Anything that betrays Christ in our lives is Satan’s idea.
  • Satan capitalizes on our lusts-whether for greed, power, control or sensual pleasure.
  • Christ’s ultimate goal in any work He assigns to us is to reveal Himself, whether through us or to us.
  • Nothing displays our self-love like a crisis.

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV

He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. John 1:11  NIV

If you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 1 Cor 10:12  NIV

God is within her, she will not fall. Psalm 46:5 NIV

• Read Week Ten in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Ten Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Ten Video (optional)

1. How has Satan methodically sought to work in your life lately? (page 196)
  2. Jesus said “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.” Luke 22:31 NIV. What do you think this figure of speech means? (page 203)
  3. Have you experienced a sifting? (page 204)
  4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

I am almost done!!

Satan working in my life-
    Our construction company right now is very vulnerable (economy). Satan is finding a way to destruct us even more. We have clients from a job done in 2009 that are giving us so much grief. They have denied two different insurance claims and want us to personally suffer for some reason. I feel this is the work of Satan and not sure how to handle clients that are not walking with the lord.

Sift as wheat-
    I looked up what the farmer’s term meant. The first process of sifting wheat is loosening the chaff from the grain. I believe that the term was meant for Simon as he was going to be loosening away from Jesus by Satan.

Experiencing sifting-
    I think everyone gets the first stages of sifting. Satan is always there to give us doubts which start the process of being cut loose away from God. Satan is right there to find out weakness.

What I enjoyed this week-
    Day 2 – The Last Supper has opened up so much dialogue for me. Topics with my Christian coworkers, pastor and Christian friends in general. I have been in the wine industry for 18 years. I don’t think I have ever realized how much wine was a significant part of the last supper. Because I am in the industry I didn’t realize that there is so much controversy over whether the wine that they partook was “new” wine or “old” wine. How certain believers argue over wine consumption in general. I guess I have had my blinders on since that is what I do for a living. I can start a whole subject on this alone but want to keep it short. I am still talking and will continue researching this part of the study for quite some time! I may even start a Christian wine industry blog!

You should write a blog post about the old wine and new wine, your perspective will bring credibility and knowledge to it. 🙂 Regarding the clients, look at them through the eyes of Christ. From His view, do you see them differently? This is not easy and requires great focus as you let go of negative thoughts and listen with your heart.

Sometimes it seems like Satan is in control of our lives, when it may not be the case. It might be the work of God, as He moves us onto a different path. He allows bad things to happen, because they motivate us to make a change and also to depend on Him. If you took Satan out of this picture…and only saw God in your “mess” what would you see? How would you feel? I’ve worn your shoes and walked through the fire, so therefore I see this from a different perspective. If the battle is with Satan, then fight it with the sword: prayer, scripture verses and intercessory friends. If the Spirit is convicting you to change something, then pray and ask for confirmation and direction. If you can, remove the emotions of fear and anger in the situation and look at this the way Jesus would- with love in His heart.

Praying Carin!

• Magaly says:

Seems like 2010 was a sifting! I lost my job in July of 2009, broke my foot on Oct. 30th, lost my apartment in January of 2010. Was offered a job, then the day right before they resinded it. I was without work for 1 year. From January to July of 2010 it was HARD!! I had never “felt” so alone, bereft, forsaken..I kept wondering “what did I do???” I was on a bad roller coaster ride. Boy did it hurt! Thank God I held on! And that it was just for a season! I must say, after it was over and I was on the other side, I felt like Peter did after denying Christ.
    I can’t say I enjoyed it, but growth definately proceeded the pain.

1.How has Satan methodically sought to work in your life lately? (page 196)
    In self-doubt, and through butting heads with others.
    2.Jesus said “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.” Luke 22:31 NIV. What do you think this figure of speech means? (page 203)
    tear up, destruct, tear apart into shreds, take out good and make it seem as if there is no good left.
    3.Have you experienced a sifting? (page 204)
    I have had a day today. I don’t think I would call it a sifting, because I know so many others have so many more problems. But, I am got so discouraged. I am trying to lose weight and thought I had done really well but my scale was torn up, so I hadn’t lost as much as I thought. My little boy has had a couple of bad weeks as school, as they have been out for snow and he’s having difficulty settling back in and paying attention. Disappointments at work left me feeling bad and I then took it out on my husband. But God is making me stronger. I’m claiming HIm and know it will get better!

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.
    I loved this chapter. I was so touched by Week 4 and WEek 5, which I just did tonight. Imagining Peter’s reaction to Jesus being right in the denial, and thinking of all Jesus went through,not because He had to but because He loved me. It really hit home when Beth asked how God must have felt. Amazing love!

You are correct to recognize your week was not a sifting, although it was filled with challenges and opportunities to pray. A sifting is a life event that is so bad, you never want it to happen twice. The event has you flat on your face in humility to God. You are clinging to Him for mercy and hope at the same time. During the sifting, you are in incredible emotional pain, yet experiencing joy at the same time. A sifting is a desperation that brings us face-to-face with God. The sifting brings out past hurt, past sin, and hidden fear- and wipes the slate clean. When Satan sifted Peter, he revealed a hole in Peter’s heart; even Peter was not aware of this hole. Hidden and deep, yet when it happens it feels like a knife wound to your soul. God is doing “open heart surgery” and cutting out what does not belong in His servants. When it happens, you are absolutely certain it was a sifting because you experience joy in your pain.

I meant Day 4 and Day 5!

Hang in there Lauren and know that you may be being tested but praise God you have the victory!

Thanks! Have had a good weekend of relaxing and studying, getting caught up with my Bible studies and revving up for the coming week! =)

I saw this on Twitter today:

Jesus stood face to face with death & the Devil & declared, “You call that a dead end? I call it an escalator.” Max Lucado

• Marietta says:

1.How has Satan methodically sought to work in your life lately?

Through money. He messed with my self-discipline. I was working along on a cash only basis and then I assumed the timing of an auto-deposit and it didn’t come for two more days. Messed with me! but God showed me and used it as a lesson.

Testing your faith. Getting rid of the worthless parts of us that allow us to drift from God and getting down to our true character. Finding God there.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

As I read again the story of Christ’s agony over what he knew he was about to do, I was deeply touched by his genuine submission to God’s will. How many times have I heard the Spirit guiding me and ignored God’s will?! How much like Peter I am. Yet, God loves me and brings me back to himself again and again. During the lesson I had to stop reading and answering questions and just tell God out loud over and over, that I humble myself and submit my will to Him. I put my trust in Him. I want His way and not my own. God truly blessed the time I spent with Him this week. As a result, when my husband told me that I always critize him, my first inclination was to feel sorry for myself and to argue, but the Spirit was with me and lead me to see it His way. I kept the peace between my hubby and myself and began noticing all the ways I could change. What blessings! What peace and joy!

• michelle g says:

I can relate to Christine and some of the family issues. One of the days during this study my husband and I got into an argument. It was heated, rediculous and very, very out of our character. We also have had several Sundays we couldn’t go to church due one of us being ill, or dealing with a sever migraine which also almost never happens and then two happen during this study. We actually would use those days and watch a Beth Moore video together in the evening. I saw tons of attacks during this time.

What struck me during this week was the emotion I felt of Jesus praying on his knees weeping and the pain his father surely had allowing and watching his son go through the torment. Then the anguish of Peter facing his denial. Did he suddenly see Judas in himself? So much sorrow.

• Barbara M says:

1-Satan likes to get hold of my thoughts with worrying, especially with things I have no control over. I pray for God to stop him, but it is a daily battle.
    4-We read in Eph. 5 about “walking circumspectly”, being careful. A former pastor gave me a mental picture of what that means–it’s like a cat walking on a small fence with dogs on either side. So be careful and aware out there!

• Mindy says:

1.How has Satan methodically sought to work in your life lately? (page 196)
    Via using my feelings to shadow me with loneliness and discouragement/fear from time to time. Also via my finances… I keep coming up with roadblocks, delays and challenges in a re-fi of a property that I begin in September (!) that still isn’t finalized and some very unusual tax issues that I have had amended but have also been delayed since September in being credited so I can stop having to pay monthly on them.

I think it means to test and judge us.

3.Have you experienced a sifting? (page 204)

Yes, a certain relationship about ten years ago was a huge sifting for me and despite a very painful journey I gained strength, humility and wisdom.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

I enjoyed what Jesus did for us. My stomach was in knots during this part of the study imagining what he went through… for us.

Behind, again… but having faith that I will catch up! Not completing neglecting, as I have been reading my Bible through, and do that first thing in the morning. I am so not a morning person, but I have been amazed and how my days go better by going to Him first thing! Thoroughly loving this week… but I know that the hardest part is yet to come.

Lauren,

I will emit that I never got week 8 done, just looked throught it and answered the post. That was a bad week for me. I will try and go back to it and do it. You can make up the weeks also just take your time. You spend time reading your Bible for both of us please….I just cannot seem to get my head were it needs to be at this time…..doing other things….not in the WORD. Thanks for being here. Blessings.

1. How has Satan methodically sought to work in your life lately? Through judgmental and prideful thoughts specifically directed towards a couple of people that I have personal contact with on a day to day basis. I have been trying to intentionally practice kindness and humility when I come into contact with them and it is helping but the thoughts still come (albeit not as often) and that frustrates me to no end.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study. It was very eye opening for me this week to think about different ways we deny Christ in our lives. I have never before thought of some of my actions (or inactions) as denying Christ and I’m thankful to have this brought to my attention.

Angie,

Good answer to number 4, I never thought of it that way before either. Blessing to you.

Thank you Sue Alice. You are so good about encouraging others; I believe it must be one of your spiritual gifts. You are a blessing to me and I’m so glad God gave me the opportunity to study with you.

1. Satan has been showing up more in my life lately by….bringing up my temper and anger to a boiling point. I was at the point were I was going to leave and I just said NO, Satan you are not going to rule my life….GET OUT and stay out.

2. That Satan wanted to bring them to spiritual ruin, Peter most of all.

3. Yes, when I was a rebillious teen and doing everything wrong in my life….He made it clear His way or my way of life on the streets, jail, drinking, and just beinging plain mean to everyone around me. I soon straigthen up and went back to church. It has been a long hard uphill battle, but I finally realize this is were I need to be. Praise the Lord.

When you leave, Satan follows. You are not going to hide from him, you need to confront him. Remember an earlier study where you said you wanted to use a small “s” before his name? While I was reading last night, I saw another author continually use the word “devil” with a small “d” 😉

I saw a quote on Twitter today, you’ll love this: An OVERCOMERS life is not easy, but SO rewarding.. Why climb mount Everest if it was flat? Keep going! Pastor Brian Houston, Hillsong Church

Here is something else to reflect on:
      It’s amazing what a little time-out can do for you. Especially when you spend that time with Jesus. Joanna Weaver

Christine,

Yes, I remember the study and if I remember right you said something like ” not capitalizing the ‘s’ would not diminish Satan.” I did not leave, and I am still here as you can see. Believe me I am aware Satan will and can follow me wherever I go. You cannot hide from him…..you can tell him to leave, that you belong to GOD, but he can pop his little red head at you when you are least expecting it. He is so MEAN!!!!! I do TIME-OUTS in my prayer closet and it helps. Thanks for the kind words and always being here to keep my head on straight.

1. The devil has been meddling in my relationships, especially when I prepare to write a bible study. My family explodes in anger and arguments each time I sit down to write. Once my two daughters were physically hitting each other, behavior I never see in my home. I knew something was amiss and saw the enemy targeting the weakest member of my family while I was writing for the Bible Cafe. I now write the studies when I am alone or when my family is in bed, because the attacks can leave emotional scars on my family.

2. Sifting us like wheat is shaking our souls until the Fruit of the Spirit is the only thing left standing.

3. My sifting happened after a 40 day fast, I wanted to know Jesus and see the world through His eyes. During my “liquids only until 5PM fasting,” I centered my heart and thoughts on the Savior. I was unaware the enemy will attack during fasting, so I did not raise my shield and I was sifted like a stranded woman in a life raft. It was painful, it was humiliating and it was necessary. At the same time Satan was sifting me, God was blessing and loving on me. In the eye of the storm, I knew my Savior and trusted Him.

4. Realizing that I was sifted and hearing Beth Moore share her own similar experience was enlightening for me. I feared another attack from Satan and another sifting, then while reading our lesson this week I realize the attack was necessary and complete. I do not need to fear another sifting of this magnitude. The results are in: I am who God says I am, and the garbage was sifted away.

• Judee Baysinger says:

3. I began my sifting about 6 years ago. I had a good job, was making decent money, spent my spare time showing my dogs, was going to church regularly… Life was good. I prayed for a closer walk with the LORD.
    I’m kind of like that mule that needs hit with the 2×4 just to get its attention. Well Satan hit me. I lost my job, my house, my dogs, everything. Starting over at 60 was not what I had in mind for my future.
    God is so good. I’m now at a place where my walk is growing closer every day. sometimes there is so much static between you and God, the channel has to be changed. I needed a major overhaul and God Allowed Satan to do that for me. Notice I said “for” not “to”. Although it didn’t seem like it at the time, it is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
    I am closer to god then ever before, I feel a peace that I have never had before. Thank you LORD Jesus for loving me enough to allow Satan to sift me.
    In Christ,

• michelle g says:

Judee, this is my third attempt to comment on your answer. (New computer and a little bit of satan maybe trying to keep me from commenting)
      I think your answer is encouraging. I believe God will use your testimony for years to come. What a wittness you are in your daily life by living in peace and contentment in your circumstances regardless of how they have shifted.