MML Week Four: Guarding the Door of Your Thought Closet

Welcome back to our womens bible study, I am so proud of you for your effort and determination to complete this study together. We just finished reading week four of Me, Myself and Lies by Jennifer Rothschild and we looked eye-to-eye with the lion prowling outside our thought closets. The purpose of bible study is not to scare you with a discussion of the enemy, it’s to inform you of the enemy schemes so you are able to identify and defend yourself from a spiritual attack. Satan can prowl and throw flaming arrows at you; how you respond determines how effective he is with the attack. Keep vigilant eyes on your thought closet doors! Jennifer reminds us “when the lion roars, we hold up the shield of faith and speak truth!” On page 90 in your workbook, you  found a list of 8 faith statements of truth. Write them down and bind them you your hearts  (Deut 11:18 NIV).

Jennifer asks us to examine our “be” thoughts to see if they are in alignment with God (vertical thinking) or the flesh (horizontal thinking). When I completed this exercise, I saw my answers are worthy of sharing, because this is the second time I have completed this study. I assure you, the first time I filled in the answers, they did not look like this and I would not be comfortable sharing them 😉 Here is what I wrote on page 93:

What I say most often and my resulting fruit

1. Be still. I bear the fruit of peace.
  2. Be obedient. I bear the fruit of self-control.
  3. Be attentive. I bear the fruit of faith.
  4. Be blessed. I bear the fruit of joy.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23 NIV

Using these verses from Psalm 139, insert your name in the blanks and read aloud:

Search _________, O God, and know _________’s heart; Try _________ and know her anxious thoughts;  And see if there be any hurtful way in _________, And lead _________ in the everlasting way. Psalm 139:23-24 NASB

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Jennifer Rothschild Quotes

• Our thought closets need daily attention to keep them as Christ intended.
  • To stay spiritually alert, you can’t have a dimly lit thought closet.
  • Never let the Enemy be more aware of your weakness than you are.
  • Destructive, lying thoughts don’t necessarily come from within, unless you’ve already given them shelf space in your thought closet.

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NASB

The LORD will give strength to His people; The LORD will bless His people with peace. Psalm 29:11 NASB

The peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7 NASB

• Read Week Five in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Five Audio or Session Five Video (optional)

1. How is Satan like an enemy, a lion, or a thief?
  2. Share one phrase from your graffiti door on page 85.
  3. How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?”
  4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson
    Day 1 Awake my soul tune in–to make my soul wake up and to hear his words come in to me.
    Day 2 Tuning into the lion at your thought closet door–Take out the word idiot, airhead out of your vocabulary
    Day 3 Fortifying your thought closet–strategy 1) pray, 2) accountability, 3) faith
    Day 4 Be still my soul, calm down–Finding out the history of Be still
    Day 5 Fire in the closet–replace bad words with good words

• PattyA says:

For me Satan is an enemy and a thief, he bombards me with arrows of self doubt and steals my self esteem. So often I feel like I am not smart enough. I don’t know the “big” words when talking or praying with a group. I think what I say and do just doesn’t measure up. I struggle with that more than anything else.

“Not worth it” is the main phrase from my graffiti door. My self worth is always in question. I am very blessed in that I have been chosen (I know by God) to be a part of a core group to start a new church in our rural area. I struggle so hard with “who do I think I am that I can do this” The very first week of the study the question was asked (pg. 11) Why do you think Moses chose that “I am” (Ex. 4:10) I realized for the first time that Moses was no one special at all. He was made special because God chose him, and when God calls us to do something, He will give us everything necessary to complete the task. We can’t rely on ourselves; we must rely on our “Faith” that God will see us through. So easy to say, but so hard to do…..

When God asks me to “be still”, I love it. It makes me want to lay prone on the floor and literally melt into Him. I want Him to take over my entire being.

This week the things that I enjoyed the most are: First of all, all of the scriptures. I know it takes time, but I love looking them up and reading them. Thank you Jennifer. I think I have said this before but I especially like it if it is one I have already visited before and highlighted. Reading Scripture is a marvelous thing to be able to do. Second; I like the section on “anger” . Oh my, I spent so many years being so angry, all I could see was revenge and hatred. The only one hurt with anger, is yourself. It will destroy you and those around you if allowed. Only through God’s grace and love and reading the bible (many bible studies) was I able to shed that. It took a long time, but I am free of that. It feels so GREAT !!!
    So many things to pray about, Jennifer, there are not enough hours in the day. Thank you and May God bless all of us today.

• Marietta says:

1.How is Satan like an enemy, a lion, or a thief?
    He prowls around looking for an opportunity or a weak zone to strike.

2.Share one phrase from your graffiti door on page 85.

Other people’s opinions of you are very important.

3.How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?”

When I hear him I sit down and listen closely.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

I loved p. 90 where we created responses to the lion when it roars a lie. I made a note in the margin because I appreciate ending a lesson with God’s power and not having foremost the difficulties, lies and challenges of Satan’s jumping into my thought closet.

• Mindy says:

How is Satan like an enemy, a lion, or a thief?
    he’s like a thief in that he’s watching (casing us) and waiting like a viscous lion for it’s prey. he’s our enemy because he’s waiting for us to let our guard down so he can confuse us and use his cunning ways to try to attack us in whatever exact way he’s plotted out that will hurt us most.

Share one phrase from your graffiti door on page 85.
    “why aren’t you married??”

How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?”
    I pray, ask for guidance and patience. This is, of course, when I’m actually still enough already to be hearing him tell me this.

Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.
    On p 83 we were asked to list triggers that cause us to grab lies and I realized the words I wrote (insecurities, low self-esteem, anger/resentment, loneliness) are a little pack that I see myself writing often. I’m detaching from them and called them my little posse of weeds that follow me around. It made light of some heavy lies I’ve told myself, and I really enjoyed this a’ha moment.

• Kathy says:

#2. Share one phrase from your graffiti door on page 85. You are too sensitive, thinking every comment is a criticism!

#4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. I particularly liked the quote on p. 83, “We have heard Satan’s voice for so long that we often just assume it is our voice.” I have been grappling for years with discerning whose voice I am hearing in my head. I felt reassured that the Holy Spirit can counsel me about the voices I hear and help me to tune into God’s voice. By being offensive and defensive using my faith in the truth of God’s word and persevering prayer to combat the roar of the lion outside my door, I can call upon my God-given gift to recognize truth and speak “faith statements” when under attack. Love the list on p. 90!

• Lynmara says:

1. Satan tries to steal the joy. At time he has made me feel like I need to take action and solve certain problems that I know God will take care of it. Sometimes and I am not even in trouble and he is raring to me that I need to take action and be the hero of the situation when all I need to do is pray.

2. I am not assertive to stand on my own.

3. Wow! It is hard to be still. I am a teacher and I am always talking, so to sit and listening has been difficult.

4. I have came to understand that I am in control of my closet. Nobody can put me down, because with God I am always up. He will take care of me every single time. Satan has no chance with me because my closet is guarded by prayer and constant conversations with God.

Glad you wiped that grafitti off your thought closet door! Recommend the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World regarding “be still.”

1. Satan robs us of our peace. It isn’t always a full frontal attack. Sometimes it is just a thing here and a thing there, that add up and make us feel defenseless, even though we know that we can do ALL things through Christ. Satan also knows when we are most vulnerable, and knows how to push our buttons. We can become so entangled with the “bad” in our life that we lose focus on the “good”.
    2. You’re not good enough… I always beat myself up when I feel unworthy or incompetent. This stems out of low self-esteem, and I often convince myself that I shouldn’t even try.
    3. Like Christine, I have seen improvement in my answers since the first time I read this study. My initial answers were be angry, be defensive, and be protective of yourself. This time around, I wrote in the margin, “I am beginning to be still.”, and I can see this effect all around me. I love a quote about courage, “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”
    Mary Anne Radmacher. That’s being still, knowing that God often speaks in the lowest voice, and that we have to be still or we will miss Him. It is so easy to scurry about here and there, trying to fix things ourselves, when too often we just make it a bigger mess!
    4. Seems like this week a lot of my answers focused on anger. I have always had a bad temper, and see this in my son, as he models behavior after his Dad and I. Since completing this study the first time around, I have really been asking myself, “Is this really worth me getting so upset?” Most of the time, the answer is no… another thing I say to myself is “this won’t matter in 10 years.” If you put things in perspective, it makes it much easier to deal with. As a result, I have responded less in anger and my home is much more peaceful. I have more joy in my heart, and this reflects in my day to day living!

• Ann M. says:

When God ask me to be still, I often struggle. There is always something I would like to be doing. But when I am obedient and calm myself in front of Him, I am always blessed. I find getting down on my knees and praying through His attributes to most helpful.

I appreciated taking time this week to think about when I let down my defenses and am most vulnerable to lies. I identified two times in particular: when I am cleaning house and Fridays at work. I have thought of a strategy to stay alert but still need to put it into practice.

Thanks for keeping up with all of us in this study.

• Renee says:

1. Satan is like a lion because you don’t hear him creeping up on you. He will wait silently and then pounce.
    2. You are not in their “class”.
    3 and 4. Be still and listen seems to be a theme right now. Listen was in this week’s Bible study, in this week’s sermon at church, and then my trainer talked to me about it Saturday. I’d say God was saying something to me!

You had three confirmations to “be still” this week, I’d call that a confirmation and a conviction from God. 🙂

• Karen says:

1.The enemy wants to steal my joy,he is a thief. He wants to destroy me ready to pounce at any time.,he is a lion. He wants me defeated in all areas of my life, my enemy.
    2. I am not important!
    3.First I get anxious, which makes matters worst, then I pray and ask him to help me be still. He does, Thank you Lord.
    4.The fire in the Closet,spoke to me. My fears automatically respond.I throw gas on the fire, and ask myself where did that come from. Until now I couldn’t figure out why I reacted so strange. I am not perfect but I am alert and praying more which has a better outcome. This is exactly what I needed. Keep praying for me.

• Sandy says:

1. How is Satan like an enemy, a lion, or a thief? He is always on the attack seeking to cause me harm. He wants to destroy my faith and steal my joy, and knows what buttons to push.

2. Share one phrase from your graffiti door on page 85. You are unloveable; no one cares about you or what you have to share.

3. How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?” I’m like a motor that doesn’t have an off switch so it’s difficult. But I find a place to be alone with Him and His Word. I try to empty myself out completely to allow Him in.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.
    a) I found comfort in the realization that I should not be surprised that Satan might use people to help him attack me. This seems to often be his tactic with me. I can look at people and situations differently knowing whom the attack is really coming from.

b) For me to accept lies is to reject truth. (Ouch!) That it is sin for me to believe lies when God has equipped me to recognize and receive truth.

Satan knows what buttons to push because in the past, you’ve allowed him to push them. Rebuke him, and stand your ground. The best way to do this is with memorized scripture, maybe you can find a verse or two directly related to the buttons he pushes. Then, when he comes stalking again, use the scripture verse as your sword. It really works!

You are loveable, and you are a Daughter of the King. When we feel unloveable, its a clear case of identity theft. Satan throws flaming arrows of past mistakes, and ignites emotions that cause us to sin or pull away from Jesus. The more we study scripture, the more we learn that we are forgiven, God has erased our past. When a thought crosses your mind, ask yourself “is this thought bringing me closer to God, or pulling me away?” If the thought brings you closer, the Holy Spirit is working. If the thought causes you distance from God, let go of the thought and turn your eyes to scripture. Satan uses people to attack me also. Once you recognize it, start to notice WHEN the attacks are happening. Look for a specific pattern, or person he will use. Start praying over the person, and ask the Holy Spirit to guide and teach you how to respond.

• Kim says:

1. Satan is my enemy in that he is against me having a relationship with the LORD. He will stop at nothing to turn me against God’s truth. He tirelessly pursues me and tries to steal my confidence so that I doubt the assurances and promises of my God.

2. Graffiti: I am unworthy and nothing will change that.

3. Being still is all about being quiet and listening to God’s voice through His Word and through His Spirit. Learning to be still is a daily exercise in obedience and self-control.

• Yvette says:

1. satan comes in like a lion with my thoughts. If I can act upon what he suggest, then he can put his plan into action. I am beginning to realize not all our thoughts are “ours”. we have to discern and rebuke when necessary which is a 24 hour job.

2. Phase on graffiti door: don’t have enough

3. my response to “be still” is hard as I want to do and sometimes the best thing to do is be still. I have learned the hard way by putting matters into my own hands, I make a mess. Obedience is better than sacrifice.

4. I most enjoyed the lesson on staying alert. and the three steps of praying, accountability, and faith were awesome as well.

The truth is, you do have enough. Don’t let the enemy distract you from what you already have.

I highly recommend the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World for encouragement on how to “be still.” I have a Martha personality- making preparations, being organized, putting others needs first- and in reading this book I learned that I need to stop and sit at the feet of Jesus, and just listen. I need to give my worries to Him, rest at His feet, and allow Him to refresh me. When I do this, my “Martha duties” become a blessing rather than a chore.

1.How is Satan like the enemy, a lion or a thief? Satan is like a thief when he steals our identity as children of God. He tempts us with sin, and then we hide from God in shame and fear.

2.A phrase form my graffiti door: You didn’t try hard enough

3.How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?” If I’m making a decision and need the Lord’s direction, I will not act on my emotions and I’ll wait for Him while I’m being “still” -by not moving forward or in another direction until I am certain is it His will and not mine.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. I enjoyed the lesson on gasoline and water. It relates to my second memory verse for 2011:

Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.
    Proverbs 18:21 Message

• Janice says:

1.How is Satan like the enemy, a lion or a thief? I think that Satan is like a thief that quietly steals into our thoughts, our lives into places that we have unguarded. I like what Sue Alice said “and steals our joy.”

2.A phrase form my graffiti door: I can’t do that

3.How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?” I did a Beth Moore Bible study, I think it was the Psalms of Ascent, and I learned to get quiet with my face on the floor. Just totally open before God.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. I really enjoyed the truths, the “faith” statements. I plan on copying them down and placing them thruout my house! so they are always before me!

1. How is Satan like the enemy, a lion, or a thief? Satan the enemy tries and to still your joy, tell you lies about yourself, a loin just roars all the time in your head, so you cannot think straight, and a thief tries to steal your faith in the Lord.

2. Share one phrase from your graffiti door…..I am unloved.

3. How do you respond when God asks you to “be still?” I try and mediate on Him only, and think quite thoughts….sometime just go into my prayer closet and listen to music.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. The gasoline words we use, I never thought of them that way before.