MML Week Six: A Hope-Filled Thought Closet

On week six of Me, Myself and Lies we examined thought closet lies and relabeled them with truth. Many of these lies were rooted in childhood or past relationships, and not rooted in God. As Jennifer reminded us, we had our hope in the wrong place. Be careful not to replace hope with people, money, things and self. Only God should be seated on the throne, the center of HOPE. Pay attention to the color of your thought closet wardrobe and view your reflection through His Word as your wardrobe mirror. Now that you’ve cleaned the closet, pay attention to the junk that clutters it and remember to deal with your clutter instead of hiding it in the back of the closet. Move on, move forward, and move with God near your side.

Congratulations on your perseverance, you’ve just completed the six-week bible study Me, Myself and Lies! Celebrate your achievement by sharing your experience and new wisdom with others. Talk about your lessons with your mom, friend, daughter, sister, aunt, grandma or coworker. The bible wasn’t written so we could read it silently. It was written so we could be a witness to His Living Word. Join us in a study of Psalms starting Feb 28, 2011 as we read Stepping Up A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore. It’s a six-week study that will conclude right before Easter. We looked at several verses from Psalms this last week of study, so the Beth Moore study will be a nice transition after our Jennifer Rothschild study. More than 100 women have already registered-Join us!

I have been honored to study with each of you and treasure your participation in this online bible study. Thank you for giving me your valuable time, and for encouraging me with your words. I pray you will stay in fellowship and continue to participate in future studies here at the Womens Bible Cafe. I welcome your feedback or suggestions for improvement. One area that always troubles me is accountability- how do I manage to keep 200 women focused and on track during an individual study. Pray for me as I meet this challenge and listen for God’s direction. Thank you and God’s blessing to you all.

We’ve had many prayer needs during this past study and it has been a blessing to intercede and pray for you. Continue to post your prayer needs on the Prayer Wall. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Father, I pray that each woman who participated in this Bible study will continue to learn and grow in her faith. Shower her with your love and grace. Bring her to her knees in praise as she embraces you and honors you with her thought closet. Provide the opportunity and resources so each woman will grab your words and carry them in her heart. I thank you for guiding my words and providing the energy and time to participate as the Bible Cafe hostess. Father, your work in me has just begun and I am so deeply in love with your blessings. I am faithfully obedient to your word. Amen.

Jennifer Rothschild Quotes

• Biblical hope involves expectation and waiting.
  • Placing our hope in God’s Word, His love and in Him alone makes out through closets unshakable.
  • Hope will ground you, anchor you and make you unshakable.
  • Smile, because your hope is in God, not your situation.
  • Renewing your mind with truth is worth the battle.
  • I am is not the same as I do or I feel. Your true identity will always begin with I am.
  • Remind your soul to focus on the finish, not your flaws and failures.

Today at the Women’s Bible Cafe, we’re listening to Jennifer Rothschild sings Let the Words

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NASB

Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. Psalm 119:37

• Register for the next online study Stepping Up
  • Contact Us and let us know how we can improve the next study

1. What kind of actions reveal when you feel hopeless? (page 128 )
  2. What colors make your thought closet and why? (page 130 )
  4. Would you recommend Me, Myself and Lies to a friend? Why or why not.

Yes I would recommend this book. I enjoyed all the chapters. I especially enjoyed filling in the bins. Making sure you don’t label people. Create trueful label. Have a watchment at your door-another words watch what words go into your minds. Snapshots were good. Awake my soul –love the section. I would have never thought that their was a liberary in your mind. Hope to your soul-good call. A song in your closet–its good to listen to positive encouragings songs.

1.What kind of actions reveal when you feel hopeless? (page 128 )
    When I feel hopeless, I give up… literally. I wallow in self-pity, second-guess myself, and long to go to bed and pull the covers over my head.
    2.What colors make your thought closet and why? (page 130 )
    A variety of colors… blue, red, white, sometimes pinks (when I feel young) and purple (when I accept God’s calling in my life)
    3.Jennifer writes “we invite mental laziness, spiritual sluggishness, a relaxed attitude or complacency into our thought closets.” Which of these do you need to attend to in your current season of life?
    Complacency… I’ve always thought this way/acted this way. Also, I still lack self-discipline in the spiritual area. While I have seen marked improvement, I still have days when I let the most important things slide for those that aren’t really important.
    4.Would you recommend Me, Myself and Lies to a friend? Why or why not.
    YES!!! I think negativity is such a problem… and it extends to others. When we see how negative we are about ourselves, we can also see the impact it has on those around us. Attitudes are contagious!

1. When I feel hopeless, I get real frustrated when I am tried and take everything out on everyone around me. This makes my hopelessness worst, and than I get angry for feeling this way. Sometimes it just seems as it is a big circle, and I go around and around in it.

2. BLUE – down all the time

YELLOW – sometimes on sunny, happy days

RED – when I can deal with the world and my temper is not flaring

PURPLE – when I am mellow

3. All those are in my season of life right now. I need to attend to each one of them on a daily bases, since I have become ill my joy in the Word has seem to go by the wayside. I have become so mental and spiritual lazy and sluggish. Do to no engery.

4. Yes, this was a wonderful study, it really open up my eyes.

Thanks again Christine for do this study.

• Karen says:

1. I feel defeated. I loose motivation,unless I stay in the word and pray.
    2. The whole rainbow is in my thought closet. Boring isn’t in my vocabulary. I want peace in my thought closet. That makes every color a blessing.
    3. I think I let spiritual slugishness in my thought closet more often than I should. This study helped me to put my thoughts into perspective.I am thankful I have a closet to tend to and everything else!!
    4. Yes I would recommend this. I need to do this study 3 more times.

• Marietta says:

1.What kind of actions reveal when you feel hopeless? (page 128 )

When I have angry or frustrated responses; when I have tears of self pity; when I overeat and feel so overwhelmed that I am frozen in inaction.

2.What colors make your thought closet and why? (page 130 )

Yellow – cheerful
    pink – cute
    biege – practical (maybe boring)
    gray – lonely/sad
    violet blue – passionate
    tomato – spicey

Perhaps mental laziness because in difficult moments I have to work hard to remember our lessons and to know how to bring my thoughts to God’s. I am learning to turn to God in prayer and He is gently guiding me through. It’s a very exciting time.

4.Would you recommend Me, Myself and Lies to a friend? Why or why not.

I’m not sure. I started out with such resistance but early on I decided (with Christina’s and Mindy’s help) to keep going. God has shown me how to perserve in my own individual way and that is an alternate to rebellion. Ultimately, I feel that the lessons have given me many new tools to move closer to God. I would probably recommend it and not try to influence with my own difficulties.

• Mindy says:

1.What kind of actions reveal when you feel hopeless? (page 128 )

my home gets messy, I’m grumpy and tired, I don’t exercise/take the best care of myself, I want to eat Hersheys kisses.

2.What colors make your thought closet and why? (page 130 )

I need to tend to a relaxed attitude. I’ve been uptight, stressed, worried. I need to be still and let God be in control.

4.Would you recommend Me, Myself and Lies to a friend? Why or why not.

Yes. Honestly, it’s a little light and I didn’t get all out of it that I’d hoped, but I did take away some great nuggets that will stay with me.

HI GUYS,

I will get back and answer the questions in a few days.

My husband has been in the hospital since last Thursday, and I have pneumonia. and I have been ill for over two weeks. My husband had pneumonia and CHF.

I can not wait to start “Steeping Up”. Be back in a few days.

Blessings to all.

Thanks.

• Lynmara says:

I would recommend this study to all my friends!! I had a great time. Every morning I would start the day with my readings. It set the tone for the day. I would love to lead this at church! Thanks Christine. You have been great! Knowing that we have support and are not alone is extremely encouraging.

• Renee says:

1. I slump, I speak negatively, I eat.
    2. I have all kinds of colors.
    3. None of the above.
    4. I would and then I would suggest Beth Moore’s book So Long Insecurity.

• Ann M. says:

1. When I am hopeless, I cry. But then I curl up with my bible and my favorite devotional and listen to God speak. He is my hope ,my rock, and my salvation. I trust his promises. Then I exercise & eat chocolate.

3. Following a list of loses in the second half of 2010, I have taken a step back from former commitments. (I really appreciated the last two days of this study and the need to discern when to rest and when to press on.) I feel alerted to complacency and am wrestling with it in prayer and have taken a small step toward getting involved again.

4. I am glad that I completed this study and would recommend it to a friend and work through it again myself. The I am statements on page 36 are especially helpful to refer to. Thank you so much.

• Sandy says:

I just want to say that this has been an amazing study! I wish we could carry it on together every week with new challenges and encouragements. I will be praying for all of us that we persevere and hold fast to God’s word. Thank you all for sharing, it helped me so much to read your thoughts and to know I am not alone. Thank you Christine for your support and encouragement. This has been such a blessing!

I can’t wait for next week to begin “Stepping Up”.

God bless you all!

look forward to “Stepping Up”

• Sandy says:

1. What kind of actions reveal when you feel hopeless? I feel anxious and down, then I begin to “pick on” myself. This has been a big area of bondage for me. This study has helped me to come against some of these feelings.

2. What colors make your thought closet and why? There was a lot of black for negativity; and white, for “nothingness”…my complacency. God has filled it with greens, for a peace that surpasses all understanding; yellow, for the light of His Word leading me on a new path through this study; and red, for motion and perseverance…every day leading me to victory! =c) I’m so excited!

3. Jennifer writes “we invite mental laziness, spiritual sluggishness, a relaxed attitude or complacency into our thought closets.” Which of these do you need to attend to in your current season of life? Complacency, I’ve allowed myself to believe I have been this way forever and cannot change. I’m praying that God will change me and that I will hold onto and use what I’ve learned.

4. Would you recommend Me, Myself and Lies to a friend? Why or why not. Absolutely! Because we are all in a battle and victory comes by addressing the issues, speaking them out loud, and looking to God to carry us through!!!! Hallelujah!!

• Yvette CL says:

1. I see I get angry when I feel hopeless. That anger turns into negative which I am asking the Lord to help me stop doing. It only opens up the door for satan to come in and act upon what I am saying.

2. Black WAS the color that was in my thought closet. B/w the anger and murmuring and the negative talking when things weren’t going right is the reason. Yet the Lord knows just how to get your attention. Through this study, the Lord revealed a lot of things about myself and I have been calling on the Holy Spirit more and more when I have those types of days. Thank God for his mercy! So now my color has gone from black to yellow:)

3. I would say complacency & at times laziness. Lord help me!

4. Yes, I would definitely recommend Me, Myself, and Lies to a friend. Its truly a blessing indeed as the battle of the enemy takes place right in our mind, with our thoughts! The bible tells us to be watchful and this is a good way to take a look at your thought life and clean it up with God’s help!