No Other Gods Bible Study Starts Today

Welcome to the Womens Bible Cafe, as we launch our newest bible  study No Other Gods, Confronting Our Modern Day Idols written by Kelly Minter. Our online group has about 70 women from different states and five different countries. Each woman participating in the study brings a unique aspect to the group, from the seasoned Bible study warrior to the first time student.  We’re all here for the same purpose: to find intimacy with God through His Word. In this Kelly Minter study, we’ll examine our modern day idols, the false gods we’ve allowed into our hearts and homes. Over the next eight weeks together, we’ll study the idols and how to remove them from our lives.

We’ll gather here each week on Monday, to discuss our workbook lessons, pray for each other, and grow in faith. During the week you will read a lesson each day, about 30 minutes of your time. Many women prefer to read in the quiet of the morning, while others wait until the end of their day. In either case, do your best to keep up with the daily lessons. If you find yourself falling behind, Satan seizes the opportunity for condemnation, making you think you’re not good enough as a Christian or not serious about your relationship with God. That is the furthest from the truth-do not let the enemy of lies steal your JOY. If you fall behind, simply find a weekend to catch-up. Do not hide in shame or let the enemy eat at your heart. Often, when you resume the study you’re reading the lesson that is appropriate for the exact time you needed to hear the words. Let the Holy Spirit guide you and convict you, and if you feel condemned, tell the little devil to take a hike! The Spirit speaks in love, always.

Discussions are essential to our growth and learning, so be sure to post a comment. Simply go to the end of the blog post, see the discussion question, and post a comment. If you want to reply to another member in the study, hit the “reply” link below her comment. You’ll notice comments are on moderation status…because we are a women’s blog, we’ve attracted well over 10,000 spam comments! These have been filtered out of the system via comment monitoring. We update the blog many times during the day, so visit as often as you like!

In this particular study, Kelly Minter is writing from her Living Room Series. She met with her girlfriends each week, discussed the key concepts of the study, and then wrote No Other Gods, Confronting Our Modern Day Idols. Each week she includes a recipe from her home group as she shares her meal and the Word together. Kelly is also a Christian singer, and I had the privilege of listening to her sing at my church. You’ll find her music on YouTube or her website at KellyMinter.com

Please visit our Prayer Wall. We ask each of you to print the prayer requests, place them in your workbook, and remember these prayers as you read your bible each day. The best way to do this is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document, then print the file. Please submit your prayer needs here.

Homework for This Week

• Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your 8-week study of modern iodols.
  • Complete the first week (Session ONE) in your workbook.

Group Discussion- Please post a comment and answer these two questions

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
  2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

In Him,

1. In ONE word, describe the current season in your life. Busy
    2. Share a specific goal you have this for being in this bible study. To complete all the lessons in the study. Find time for him. Listen to him. Be thankful for all I have. I know I have wants and needs he will take care of them.

• Joyce Tyson says:

1. Hungry

2. I desire to be fully satisfied in my relationship with Christ. I desperately need to have every place within me filled up to overflowing with overcoming joy, even in the midst of depression that keeps nipping at my heels. Right now I’m in one of those seasons where I cannot understand Him. I just have to trust Him.

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. Busy, Overwhelmed
    2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. To complete this study, to learn more about him, to understand about idols, and to relaxed.

• Laura says:

1. Busy
    2. I want to be fully devoted and surrendered to God with nothing, no idol, no person having a higher place in my heart and time than my Lord.

• Lil says:

1. WORN OUT

2. I am in a season where I am working very hard long hours and not making ends meet and its ruining my spiritual life as well as all else. I want to tune out many of the idols that consume my life and allow to escape and return to my relationship with God and put him first as well as hopefully manage my time better.

• Brook says:

1. Challenging

2. I want to be once again desire to spend time with the Lord and not feel like spending time with Him is an effort or another “thing” to check off of my list.

• Allison says:

1. Transitional

2. We are moving from Arkansas to Arizona in 3 weeks! I am also about to become an empty nester after 26 years of mostly stay-at-home, but some part-time, and much volunteerism for my 4 kids. My prayer is that I will find a church, find a new outlet for my volunteerism, possibly find a part time job, and re-unite with my husband of 30 years. We have endured an 11th month separation because of this job transfer.

• Jane says:

1. Blessed!

2. I am hoping to get myself up and to quit wasting time. I know I need to focus all my time and energy on God but just can’t get myself out of this depressed mood I am in right now. Need motivation and a push to get started. Things are so overwelming (house is over cluttered from my stuff and my daughters things. She moved in with me when husband told her to get out, that he didn’t love her anymore.) right now and so far I haven’t been able to tell myself to take a step a time and you will get the work done. I know I need to get moving, but for some reason, can’t get myself up to work on things for just 15 minutes and then take a break and go back and work some more. Pray that I will succeed in this especially.

Am so looking forward to spending time will Kelly Minter and am a week behind because I can’t find my book.

• Sandi says:

BLESSED!
    Sorry this blog is so late! Living in southeast Tennessee we have had quite a week of storms. The Wood Shed AKA my home, is totally undamaged. Power & land line phone (no cell coverage here in the mountains) was out for 24hrs. Since 6 yrs ago my husband was on O2 we had purchased a generator to keep the oxygen concentrator going. Five yrs. ago he had a double lung transplant. He is doing very well & of course no longer needs O2, but we thankfully kept the generator! So, we had lights, refrigeration & hot water!! Many, however, were not so lucky. Please keep the people in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia & Tennessee in your prayers.

My goal is to be able to figure out what exactly my idols are. Some I am aware of, but other things, people or activities I’m not sure about. I definitely need prayer for guidance.

Peace & love to you all.

• Jill says:

Conflicted

I am not sure what direction to go in my life with my family. We are at a crossroads which is someplace I never thought I would be but we are here and I am trying to find God’s direction and feel his presence in all of this. We have gone to a christian private school since kindergarden with both of my kids. My son is a freshman in college and my daughter is a rising 9th grader. We are considering changing schools to public for the academics and that means moving. Very, very scary yet exciting at the same time. I just need to truly focus on God & try to find peace & follow whateve decision he has for us.

• Margie says:

1.Unfocused!!!!
    2.To spend more time in God’s word and prayer.

• Kami says:

1- Overwhelmed

2- My goal is to get back into God’s Word for myself. Working in the church and having one of my areas be Women’s Ministry it has occured to me in the last few months that I have put the women and their needs in my church ahead of my own. It’s not that I am not in Bible studies, I actually facilitate 3 a week. God speaks through these studies to me, but sometimes it is just apart of the job to get them done each week. A few years ago I was involved in studies that was at another church and just for me. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to attend these. I am realizing that unless I put myself first, I cannot help any other person. So, I am excited to do this study for me and no one else. God has already showed me volumes just in the first week of study. I read on someones post “learn to be & not always do”. I loved that and I plan to use this as my reminder to take care of myself.

• Sue Fisher says:

Maintaining

life has a wy of taking you in many directions. Right now I am trying to maintain the direction that God wants for me, plus one that makes sense with life changes.

• Erin says:

1. Busy
    2. I hope to eliminate the need for at least one “idol” in my life. My addiction these days, is sweets. I had a baby a year ago and at my age, am having a hard time losing the weight. I tend to snack when stressed.

• Becky says:

1. Overextended

2. Learn to carve out my time with God first and foremost.

• Lisa C. says:

1. Disorganized!

2. My specific goal is to get God back in the forefront instead of everything else! I need to spend more time with Him, growing in a relationship and I really feel that everything else will fall into place after that. If I put Him in the forefront He will show me how and help me to be a better wife and mother. 🙂 Looking forward to the study ahead!

• Renee' says:

1. Overwhelmed

2. One goal I have for this Bible study is that it helps to get me on track with myself and God. I need to find time for my own time with God when nothing else is distracting me. I am constantly feeling pulled in a million different directions and it is just leaving me feeling overwhelmed and empty. I did post last week, but it must have timed out and not posted. I am waiting on my book–it should be here on Monday or Tuesday, but I did download the first chapter and am looking forward to this study. I have even just tonight made myself my own “quiet space” in my room where no one should bother me (or should I say bother me as much).

• Lisa C. says:

Renee, I feel the same way. Actually my word was disorganized but yes, a feeling of being overwhelmed seems to go hand in hand with disorganized for me. And I can relate to your answer to #2 as well. I think you’re going to enjoy this study. I really do. Lisa C.

• Denise says:

1- Busy

2- I want to get back on track with finding time for God every day, even though I’m crazy busy. I also want to set the example for my kids so they know how important it is to be in Gods word every day!

• Sherry says:

1. overwhelmed
    2. My goal is to be bathed in His word during a hard season of my life when I need the Lord so much. And another goal is to learn to trust Him no matter what the circumstances. Thank you again whoever started an online Bible study!

• Wendy says:

A great description: The evil in our desire typically does not lie in what we want, but that we want it too much.”

• Denise says:

I am teaching this study here in Jackson, MS. we are one the second week and its amazing to read every day and lead how we let other things in our lives come before our amazing God! Everyday we have great plans (spiritual and to-do’s). There will always be a million nagging tugs on our time and attention, and somewhere in the middle of all the tugging it is essential we build a fortress wherein only God, His words and our heart exist together. It doesn’t happen accidentally so guard it!

• Tiffany says:

1. Overwhelmed

2. My goal is simply to get into a better routine with my quiet times. Right now they are all over the place when they even happen because I feel so busy, but the truth is that I have the time. I just need to use it more effectively.

• Debby says:

1. Distracted
    2. My goal is to be more focused on God, to determine what He wants me to be doing at this time in my life when I now have the time to serve Him.

• Christina C. says:

1. Busy

2. I am the busy mom of 2 little ones and wife to a wonderful husband. I strive to keep our home functioning perfectly. I hope, through this bible study, to die to this perfectionism and live day by day with God’s help and leading. I want to enjoy each day and live each moment without always having to plan ahead and have everything figured out before it happens. This book is so amazing. I am already feeling more free!

• Lynmara says:

I felt something similar a couple of years ago. I had a friend who seemed like a perfect mom. Her house was spotless, the kids all neat, food ready, everything perfect! I wanted to be like her! As our friendship grew I learned that she was empty. She was overwhelmed by trying to be perfect. Sometimes we need to relax and enjoy the beauty of what God has created for us.

• Lynmara says:

1. At this point in my life I am a little sad and confused. I am almost done completing my second masters degree and was offered a promotion. Suddendly the pursuit of earning more and getting this promotion became my priority. I lost my focus, stayed late at work, neglected my family, my kids. What seemed to be an opportunity from God turned to be something that in a coup,e of months almost ruined my life (mentally and health wise)
    2. This book speaks to me every day. It actually leaves me hungry for me. I have dropped on my knees and asked God for his forgiveness. How could I have turned a job my God! I love this study and have told many friends about it. This is real.

I am so glad you are here. God often turns our feet or slows our path so we can see Him clearly. He’ll use the degrees and knowledge for His purpose and to serve His Kingdom. Wait, listen and draw near.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV

• Ann says:

1. Thankful

My husband fell from a ladder almost 2 years ago and is still in a cast. During that time, God shook up my world and showed me what is really important – keeping my eyes on Him at all times! We have been married for 44 years and God has drawn us so much closer to Him and to each other. It’s been a long journey, but I wouldn’t take anything for the lessons I learned in that journey. I pray that God will continue to show me what my idols are and help me to stay close to Him each day. Thank you for this Bible study.

• Sandy says:

Thank you for the beautiful worship music. Funny how music can feed your soul in ways that nothing else can! I will be looking forward to next Wednesday!!!

• Michelle says:

I agree! I just listened, and I may have to make a daily habit of this. What a great way to spend time with God every morning!

If you are on Twitter, follow @SpreadingJOY and @McProdigal each night at 9PM EST they lead a group in Twitter-worship. They expose us to new songs, tweet some of the words from the songs and pray for people who ask. It’s a powerful use of social media. I’m in California so I can’t always make the 6PM Pacific time, it’s usually our dinner hour. I do jump in at least once a week.

• Moriah says:

Word: Well-Intended

I mean to make my life Christ centered but I let things get in the way. I am looking forward to this study and a chance to focus my attentions.

• Karla says:

Word : Reconstruction

I hope to use this study to Reconstruct myself get rid of bad habits such as TV, start exercise, and just rebuild my soul and mind.

• Tara says:

1. Tired
    2. My goal is to learn to be and not always do. The song that says “strength will come when we wait upon the Lord” is running through my head! Something I know but I don’t always know how to make it real in my life.

• lauren says:

Learn to be and not always do… I love this!

• Michelle says:

Me, too! This is something God impressed upon me a couple of years ago, but I did not listen. I love the fact that God will whisper and gently nudge, and when we don’t respond, He’ll take out a sledge hammer (if necessary) to answer our prayers to be more like Him. The last year of my life has been that sledge hammer, and I can assure you that a life of being, rather than doing, is SO MUCH MORE PEACEFUL. I am thankful for every moment of pain, change, and stripping away that I’ve experienced this past year, because God has made it possible for me to be instead of do. In this place, I am finally free to experience Him. It is so worth it!

I’ve been under His sledge hammer a few times. Sometimes He speaks so strongly into my heart, I think a brick slammed my head. I’m learning to be more obedient so He doesn’t need to try so hard to get His message across. 😉

• Emily M says:

1. Persistent. I’m pressing on…

2. My goal is to further study idols and strongholds, to pinpoint and determine exactly what in my life keeps me from my Lord, and to work to demolish that idol. I look forward to reading and growing in my knowledge, drawing closer to God, and discussing and learning from other believing women!

• Shirley Coolidge says:

Busy.

Some of the busyness is my own doing, some is because of kids and some is over committing. The time I do set aside for God can sometimes be overrun with my modern day idols and I find myself not really listening to God.

I want to be quiet before Him and hear his voice. To know where he would lead me and use me and to feel his presence.

• Angela says:

Overwhelmed

I am a busy mom of 3, and I find myself caught up with the busyness of life. I feel like I can’t get ahead, like I am always a step behind. I know I have been placing my time and efforts on “other gods.” I just want the one true God to be the leader of my life.

My goal is to learn to become quiet before the Lord. I want to hear his voice, and not the worlds.

• Wendy says:

That’s exactly how I feel. I want to be able to be quiet long enough to hear His voice. That sure seems to be the common theme here for all of us. Hopefully together we can all learn this! Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.

• Pam says:

1. Contemplative
    2. Having dealth with a relationship that was a “god” in my life, I find I replaced it with other things: food, tv, etc. and really need to focus on God being the God in my life.

• Michelle says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.

Dismantled–God has stripped away so much over the past year…

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this Bible study.

My goal is to re-assemble my life in a way that is wise and God-centered.

• Lisa H says:

Hi Michelle …

I posted a comment yesterday, but it must have timed out and was not posted. In a way I’m glad. What you have said is what I couldn’t think of yesterday. God has totally dismantled my life in several areas and is putting it back together. If you don’t mind, I’d like to share your answers 🙂

Lisa H
      1. Dismantled
      2. Re-assemble my life in a wise and God-centered way.

Sending Peace & Blessings your way!

• Michelle says:

Absolutely! And, I’m glad to know there’s someone else who understands what I meant by dismantled! I thought it was an odd description, but it is exactly what has happened to my life in the past year. …And, I am so grateful for it!

• Rhoda says:

1. EXCITED! To connect with an online Bible Study is absolutely awesome…

2. My goal is to connect with other Christian women that love God and believe that He still speaks to us individually through His Word regardless of our circumstances or level of maturity in HIM…

• Gina says:

1. Hopeful – Currently we are going through several things in our family. We are taking steps to get out of debt, trying to deal with the estate of my estranged father-in-law, and waiting on God for the timing of adoption. I am hopeful that God will be with us through this season.

2. My goal for this Bible Study is to uncover the idols in my life and place my mind and heart fully on God.

• Deb says:

Wow, I just read all that was posted and I think we all sound a like for the most part. Busy and stretched beyond the time we have!

You’re correct Deb! More importantly, we are not a group of perfect women, bible scholars or wise church ladies! We’re a group of God’s children, made in His image, and each on a faith-walk. It’s why I love the Womens Bible Cafe so much. This is going to be an amazing study, I look forward to our Monday group discussions.

• Deb says:

1. Grateful

2. To find my first love again. My life has been so different in the past 8 years since I started working outside the home. I feel like I have gotten swallowed up by the fast pace of this world. I want to have the time that I did before where I can linger in the presence of the Lord.

I can so relate Deb! I am worn thin by the fast pace of life where there is never enough time and long for a quieter, slower life. I love to take rides in the country and daydream about moving out of the city to a place where a person might actually see the beautiful stars at night and hear the quiet.

• Carla says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    – Stalled

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

– To get back on track in my spiritual life

• lauren says:

1. Growing
    2. I am completing this study in conjunction with No Other Gods. I think that by doing both studies, I will be able to grow in God, breaking through spiritual strongholds and working on releasing things that are preventing me from growing more in God. I’m so glad that in the last few months I have grown to see God as a Daddy, Jesus as a personal Savior, and the Holy Spirit as a friend that sticks closer than a brother. No, I”m not perfect… but I’ve grown to see that God doesn’t expect me to be. He just expects me to put Him first and worship Him in fullness and in truth. So glad to be a part of this place =)

• wendy says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using One Word.
    Overwhelmed!

Trying to simplify but often get caught up in my son’s sports, church outreach, youth group, Disciple class, work full-time. Need to know when to say no and not feel bad about it and to focus on what matters most.

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this Bible study.

Taking from the answer for the first question. Learning to say no to activities and prioritize activities. Though we say: God, family, work – perhaps “God” doesn’t always mean being involved in EVERYTHING at church?

• Brystan says:

1. Chaotic

2. I’m really hoping that through this Bible Study I will not only become closer to God, whom I have just become close with, but that I will also meet some new people. Most of all though, I really hope that this study helps me to figure out ways to prioritize my life, and get everything back on track so I can give Him the time He deserves, and that I deserve with Him.

• Kristi says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.

Building

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this Bible study.

To identify any people/things/behaviors that are taking a higher priority in my life than those things He wishes me to focus on.

1. Dark place.

2. Hoping to put things away…like TV, books, and not being in the WORD again as much as I should be. I feel as if I an turning away from GOD, and going other places without….places I should not go to.

Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them. John 12:35-36 NIV

• Davie says:

1. Tired
    2. I’m tired of the cycle my life has taken. I believe all if my modern day idols are controlling me, which leaves me in a constant state of disappointment. I hope this study can help me identify the areas of my life that need adjusted and help me make the adjustments to a God-centered life full of love, peace and contentment.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2 NIV

• Margie says:

Disorganized

I’m hoping that by focusing on this study and drawing closer to God that I will be able to put the rest of the things in my life in the proper prospective.

• Jennifer Martin says:

1. Stuck
    2. I feel like I am stuck in the everyday expectations of being an adult. The bills keep coming in and the money keeps going out. Just when you get ahead something else comes up. My goal is to get unstuck. To put everything else behind and learn to just lean on Him. I need to learn that it is going to be okay. I am ready to start and finish this bible study! and for that I am excited!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6 NIV

• Devany says:

1. Chaotic

2. I hope that God will lead me to a place of order and contentment in my life.

• Rhonda T says:

1. Happy (very happy)

2. My goal is to grow in my walk with The Lord. I am excited about getting started. I think this study comes at a perfect time.

• Elle says:

1: Torn

2: I need to put God first, while learning how to still participate in things I enjoy but end up taking over me. Work, Clothing, Working out.. ect. Also, I want to finish and participate in all 8 weeks of this study.

Just completing all 8 weeks of the study is a commitment in His favor Elle! When we put God first, everything else falls into its proper place.

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: I am the First and I am the Last; besides Me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6 Amplified

• Mary Tullila says:

Changes would be the describtive word for me right now. Doing this study I hope to let go of the bricks of grief and sorrow FINALLY.. and grasp in boldness the New Wine of being Changed because of it. This study will be a God Send for me I think.. combined with Breaking Free..its gonna be a TRIP!

I’m thankful you are in both studies Mary. You are removing the sackcloth of sorrow and replacing it with the crown of glory. Be patient, reach out when you need our support, and let the love of the Lord overflow into your heart.

• Gwen says:

1. Blessed

2. My goal is to become closer to God. It may take more than one path to accomplish this, But this Bible Study is a great place to start. Thanks, Bible Study Cafe.

In my experience, intimacy with God comes through bible study. The bible is 2,000 years old and it’s His love letter to us. Each time I study, He speaks into my heart. Add prayer and worship to your experience, and you’ll complete the meal.

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. Deut 8:3 NIV

• Janice Brittain says:

Excited!
    I am excited to start a new Bible Study. I have been neglecting my relationship with God and I want to get back into His Word on a daily basis!

• Leigh says:

1. Searching

2. Hoping to find all my modern day idols and send them to the back of the line. Put God in His rightful place at the top of the list!!!

• Jayce says:

1. Ready

2. I am ready to learn. I want to figure out my idols and why they have such a hold over me. In the end, I would like for GOD to be at the top of the list.

1. unfocused

2. to find peace in my life, and I know the only way to do that is to push aside everything that is causing stress, chaos in my life and focus on the one who will bring peace into my life!

• Marty says:

1. Peaceful

2. My goal with this study is to identify anything, one thing, or many things that have become gods to me. I sometimes think I become so comfortable with the way I settle in to things that it’s hard to see what’s comfortable as a god when it may very well be so.

You make a good point about living in our “comfort zones” instead of our “God-zone.” We are given spiritual territory through Jesus, yet we still seek comfort in false gods.

For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:13-14 NIV

1. Transitional

2. My specific goal is to become aware of the idols I have that are taking my time and focus away from God so that I can put them in their proper place. I want God to be first in every area of my life.

I’m also looking for the modern idols in my life, I know they exist yet I am blinded by a world view. I live in California and the pressure is strong to “conform.” I want to see my life through God-lenses. I’m laughing hard, because I just described a pair of sunglasses 🙂 and they usually reflect other people, not God. WOW.

• Julie says:

1. Chaos

2. To REALLY see my idols, the ones that take my focus off of God and His plan for me. To learn to REALLY keep my eyes on HIM and it not just be the “right” thing to say, but for it to REALLY become completely true all the time.

• Victoria says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.

BEHIND!!!

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

This study seems to be just what I need. I’m so busy all the time, I get behind on everything from housework & office work to alone time with God and Bible study. So my goal is to stick to this study, and sort of re-teach myself how to PUT GOD FIRST BEFORE EVERYTHING ELSE in my life. Because I haven’t been…and in truth & honesty, I have been putting other “gods” before the ONE TRUE GOD!

• Ashley E. says:

1. Scared
    2. I have desired to put God first in my life for a long time, but I never put forth the time or energy to actually make that a priority in my life. My goal for this study is for me to recognize ALL the gods of my life and to tear the false ones down. God needs to come first no matter what.

I’m sorry you are scared in your current season of life. Thankfully, it’s in the middle of the storm’s that we often meet Jesus head-on. He’s the calm one, the patient one, the forgiving one and the loving one. If we do not have our eyes open in the storm, we do not see Him. Bible study opens our eyes and heart to Him. You’re in the right place at the right time Ashley. May God speak to your heart each time you open the pages of your book.

• Christine D says:

1. Overwhelmed

2. I know that I have other idols. I want to confront them head on and make sure I am putting God first in my life. I want to be a positive role model for my children.

• Amanda A says:

1. Humbled
    2. One of my goals in this bible study is to turn the focus of my life back to God. I have neglected having a daily quiet time for way too long and I hope participating in these bible studies will get me back on track.

• michelle says:

1. KIND
    K – Kind
    I – Independant
    N – Natural
    D – Dependable
    2. My goal for this study is pinpoint where my time and energies are spent on worldly things and re-focus my time and energies on God and including him in everything.

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3;12 NIV

• Rachael says:

1. Busy
    2. My specific goal is to start and finish a women’s Bible study. To get back in the word on a daily basis and turn my schedule back to things that honor the Lord.

This study is a good choice, because the lessons are not as long as Beth Moore studies and there are no audio/video sessions to watch. If you make a habit of reading first thing in the morning, you’ll finish the study. If you allow distractions or excuses, often it is the enemy trying to block your path. He actually turned feet around in my first bible study, so I know the power of the enemy is very strong. Here is the link to My First Bible Study:

1. Blessed.

2. I see modern idols in my life on a daily basis, and I’m certain I’ll pass these on to my children. My goal in this study it to take these idols captive, remove them from my heart, and ensure only God is on the throne.

• Sandy says:

1. Trapped

2. I feel trapped with our lifestyle. Although it is not overly
      excessive, we do have the big house, lots of “stuff”, lots of clothes,
      cars, too many bills for things that just seemed needed. We do make
      a pretty great living but I now realize, after our sons drug problem,
      that I would trade all of this to have him back, healthy and drug free.
      But it’s so hard to turn this around. It takes a lot of my time to maintain the house, yard etc. As well as to work hard enough in this economy to keep it all going. Ugh…I feel like I give God the leftovers and not by choice but by being trapped.

My goal in this study is for God to give me the wisdom and the strength to begin to run this house better and more efficiently; to begin to look to Him for wholeness, peace and joy and not in the things the world has to offer. To see my idols and to walk away from them.

We downsized our home, so I can relate to what you are saying. I’m glad you are in this study and looking at generational bondage, seeing how we pass it on to our children.

My friend lives in a $6 million dollar home and she struggles with her two sons, both with drug problems. Her doctor highly recommend this book, which I read, and its excellent:
        The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids

• Sandy says:

Thank you Christine…I have ordered the above said book. Although we would love to downsize, with this economy, we would lose so much on our home. So, we are just praying for direction from God and for His will in this situation. 🙂

You’re right sandy, its a terrible time to move! I was selling real estate 5 years ago when we downsized, we moved and I quit my job just months before the housing market fell. Sometimes God keeps us right where we are, and then re-arranges our circumstances. 🙂

• Nancy says:

I can relate to what you are saying about feeling like you are giving God the leftovers as well. I also have a son with a drug problem and totally understand that feeling that you would give it all away to have him back healthy and free from that bondage.

The word to describe this season of my faith is lonely. I know in my head that God is with me. But my heart feels very far from him. I also know that it is my false gods that are keeping me from drawing near and my hope is that this study will help me confront them and remove them from my life.

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16 NIV

Sometimes the Lord has us in quiet places for a reason.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
          he leads me beside quiet waters,
          he refreshes my soul. Psalm 23:2-3 NIV

• Tracy says:

1. Empty

2. The last two years of my life have been a downward spiral. My husband are both Christians, but have been living our own way, and not really depending on God or walking with Christ. My husband lost his job and our finances spun out of control, we filed bancruptcy, we are losing our home, I turned forty, my oldest daughter is graduating…the list goes on. And all the while, I tried to handle it all alone, until I sunk into a clinical depression. I was past feeling desperate or sad, just numb. I considered suicide daily, but knew I could never leave my four children or husband. I hit bottom. Then, for the first time, I really cried out to God, and I emptied myself and gave everything to him. The trials keep coming and I know this is satan trying to derail my new commitment to walk with Christ. Our pastor gave a message once in which he said that not only do we repent, but we have to turn away from our sin. He said that if we didn’t fill that hole where sin resided in our life with the things of Christ, sin would come back in even stronger, so I need to fill up with the Word and Christ’s teachings. And I need to rely on Christ and trust in Him, and not try to handle things all on my own. (Didn’t realize how hard that was going to be to say)

Hi Tracy, my family members are diagnosed with depression. It’s often a chemical imbalance, so make sure you see a doctor for an evaluation. You have many reasons to feel depressed, and many times the level of stress in your body throws your mind into darkness. I highly recommend the book “Who Switched Off My Brain” by Dr Caroline Leaf and also “The Depression Cure.” Sometimes depression can be a spiritual attack too, I learned this while reading “The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram. Unexplained, sudden depression with no known cause may be spiritual warfare. As you noticed, Christ is there and He wants us to lean on Him. During this study, you will identify those things you depend on or place first in life, and reorganize your thoughts to make sure Christ is in the center of your heart; not things or people. Job loss, financial burdens, foreclosure, aging and an empty home are life conditions, not God conditions. Keep your heart focused on God as you walk through the eye of the storm and find Jesus waiting in the center of it, looking for you. God’s love is dependable and unyielding, trust in Him. You are a Daughter of the King, don’t ever take off that crown again. 🙂 Use it as a light in the darkness.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
          and lean not on your own understanding;
          in all your ways submit to him,
          and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV