No Other Gods Bible Study Week 7

Welcome back to womens online bible study. We’ve just finished reading No Other Gods week seven in our Kelly Minter workbooks, and next week is our last lesson. Some of you are reading on track with the original schedule, some of you started later than the group, and some of you have delayed your reading due to personal matters. For those who are behind, please make an effort to finish so you’ll be able to join us in the next study. Registration for our Summer Bible Study begins in just a few days.

This week we discovered that leaving our idols is not a one time event, it’s a lifelong process. When one idol is removed, another one tempts us to take its place. Always be watchful of who or what is on your throne. If it’s not God, then most likely it’s an idol and does not belong there. God hates idols. When we place God in the center of our lives, not idols, then according to Kelly Minter we can be certain He “is going to do some pretty cool stuff in our lives.”  With certainty, He does. When our eyes are not on the throne, we miss the “cool stuff” and overlook the blessings. Clear your vision by removing your idols. God rewards obedience.

As Kelly showed us this week, removing our idols requires trust and patience. Idols don’t just fall off our backs and we can’t blink them away like a television actress. We must place our hearts into removing them and surrender what does not please God.  The Holy Spirit examines our hearts and knows our intentions. He’ll reveal to us when we are consumed with idols, and remind us to focus on God. Listen, pray and follow your heart toward God’s will for you. His will is revealed by scripture: no false Gods shall stand before Him.

Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Kelly Minter Quotes

• Walking away from our idols is a lifelong process.
  • Abraham’s obedience was more important than any other detail- even where he was headed.
  • Even if the details are blurred, embrace the clarity of promised blessings.
  • The Pharisees emphasized the outside.
  • Our outside behavior stems from our heart.
  • God deals with our idols when He deals with our hearts.
  • We don’t have the power in ourselves to dismantle the idols of our hearts.
  • God shows up in our reality.
  • See your weakness and struggles as opportunities to reveal God’s power and grace in your life.

1. What is your own definition of the difference between surrender and trust? (page 156)
  2. Kelly Minter writes “As I continue to seek God’s heart, I am attempting to look at the bigger picture, not just the smaller answer.” (page 158) What does this mean to you personally?
  3. On page 159, Kelly shares her desire for more prayer. What can you do to enhance your prayer life and make it more consistent in your life?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Lisa H says:

I think surrender is to give in – and trust is to embrace – regardless of how you are “feeling”. I think it is hard to fully surrender if you don’t trust. I say that because “giving in” can be defiant. If you are being defiant you are really not trusting. Where as “embracing” is full acknowledging who/what/ and why you are trusting.

I guess the “big picture” is the over all whole thing – life. What is my impact across my whole life. I don’t really agree with the theology in “don’t sweat the small stuff” but the the phrase does have merit. In the “grand scheme” of things, sometimes the “small stuff” is really insignificant. Of course … how you react to the “small stuff” can impact your “big picture” outcome if you continue in reacting as the world does instead of how God wants you to.

Man .. I wish I knew the answer to this one! I have tried and continue to fail at this. All I can do is continue to try and pray that He will help me with this.

Praying peace & blessings over you all …

• Christina C. says:

3. Having kids now makes a consistent prayer life a little more challenging. I think I’ve been striving to have a prayer life the way I remember it before marriage and kids. Instead, I need to look to God for new ideas to meet with Him throughout the day. I might not always have a structured time and place to pray but I can find time during my chores and what not to pray and hang out with God. I’ve also found that the only time that isn’t filled with distraction for me is early morning before the kids get up. Now I just need the discipline to go to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and take advantage of special time with God.

1.What is your own definition of the difference between surrender and trust? (page 156)
    I liked the definitions Kelly gave. I can totally see surrendering being about will… “Ok, I have to do it this way, so I may as well give in.” Like we are allowing God to work through us, and praying for the best to turn out. Trust is knowing that it will.
    2.Kelly Minter writes “As I continue to seek God’s heart, I am attempting to look at the bigger picture, not just the smaller answer.” (page 158) What does this mean to you personally? Situations may seem insurmountable as we go through them, yet when we are through, we are shown that God works stuff out. We can often get so wrapped up in trying to figure out how we are going to fix a problem, or worrying about how God is going to fix it, that we dont’ see other solutions that may be popping up around us.
    3.On page 159, Kelly shares her desire for more prayer. What can you do to enhance your prayer life and make it more consistent in your life?
    I needed this. I am happy to say I am doing better, but this is an area where I can always use growth. Making sure I am deliberate about it in the morning or evening. Prayer journals. Praying scripture.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Liked the lesson on His strength in my weakness. It’s nice to know that He has it in control, and that I can be made strong through Him. I have also been thinking about the importance of identifying weaknesses, not to dwell on them and those areas I struggle, but to allow God to improve them in me.

• Allison says:

I found this on a google search and wanted to share it: When we reach a point of sincerely having your heart and head say EVEN IF MY desires are unmet. Even if MY agenda is not followed. Even if MY wishes don’t come true–I will STILL love the Lord and choose to follow. , and trusting His purpose no matter the outcome. THAT is surrender AND trust. Those two words sum it up so beautifully–(source: http://www.clingingtothevine.com/2011/04/surrender-and-trust.html @Heather’s Blog on the internet)

Truthfully, this is a bit overwhelming for me…not sure I understand the issue. That being said, I did find Encouragement & Hope by meditating on Psalm 121.

If I clear out some of the idols in my life that currently occupy time that could be more constructively used to spend time in prayer. I have certain shows on television that I don’t miss; I have an exercise routine that is consistent; I spend time on Facebook pretty regularly; I make time for other activities, why then shouldn’t I make time for prayer?

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

2 Corinthians 12:1-10 – Learning that God answered Paul’s prayer, but not in the was Paul hoped. God gave the promise of His grace to sustain Paul in the midst of his pain – grace to persevere, grace to endure, grace to give him strength for life and power for ministry in spite of his weakness, in spite of his handicap, in spite of this thorn in the flesh.

We don’t always get the answer we expect…but we do get an answer.

• Elle says:

For me the bigger picture is going to help me gain perspective on life, not just this year or today. The bigger picture makes us think of more then just how things will effect me, it makes me think of how all the small answers we get each day mold our life into our bigger picture.

I need to let my husband into my prayer life. I have a really hard time praying around him.

• Lynmara says:

It has been lately that I have realized the power of prayer. Falling on my knees has been crucial. I am so hungry to have that level of intimacy with God! I know I must get rid of those idols. I’m glad this is a long process. It gives me hope.

• Denise says:

This was such an amazing study! I led a group her in Jackson along side with your study online.. It made me such a better leader of the group! We learned so much and I have really felt god working in our group and lives. I sat today for two ours going back through the study and taking more notes to keep with me to remind myself and walk stronger with the lord. I can’t wait to start the next one! praises to an amazing job you did and for His hand in your lives!

• Wendy says:

My desire is to make prayer my priority. My idol of taking control is the reason for not doing this. Time and again I have seen the power of prayer. When will I learn? I dis hear something from the pastor this week that clicked even though I’d heard it before: pray for the Holy Spirit to fill me up. It’s a guaranteed prayer answered. I have prayed for this everyday this week. May I not stop praying for this.

• Victoria says:

Surrendering is letting go or giving up-it’s just an action; Trusting is following through with the action, not knowing the outcome, but knowing that God will take care of you no matter what.

It means that sometimes my small pains and trials are happening for His bigger and better plan! And as we seek His face and get to know Him more and more, we will learn to obey Him out of faith and trust and respect, all put together!

Make myself pray! CHOOSE to pray! Spend more and more time praying, even if sometimes it is silent, or driving to work…Pray His promises back to Him and pray His Word out loud when the enemy attacks.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The introduction was awesome! I’ve been seeking an answer to a dilemma, and He answered it completely with her football game analogy! Seriously, it was like I could hear Him whispering to me “Stay…I’m here…I’ve got this.” It was a profound answer to my prayer!

1. On page 159, Kelly shares her desire on her prayer life….I just feel as if I hurry through my prayers like one prayer will cover everything…more like Lord bless everyone I know etc etc. This is just not the way to prayer and i know this. So both my faith and prayers are not were there need to be. I just need to spend more time in my prayer closet.

Psalm 121-knowing that the Lord is always with me, and does not slumber.

I really got a lot out of this week – – I loved the reminder that God is in our reality. (when I so often don’t want to be!). The assurance that others yield to obedience, sometimes with an unwilling heart, was so, well, assuring. reminded me that Jesus didn’t want to go to the Cross, but He did so out of obedience.

to me real surrender involves trust. to me, surrender is the verb to the noun, trust. I can trust something, but never use it (I can trust my car breaks will work, but until I surrender to use them, I don’t know that they will work).

I am living in a place where it is so hard for me to look at the “bigger picture” . . .because the reality of today takes up so much energy. I’m just having to trust God for both.

I need to get back to journaling – -it’s where my prayers have been more focused. I’ve been doing more “talking” prayers . . .(not so many listening prayers 🙁

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    When she asked us to see our weakness and struggles as opportunities to reveal God’s power and grace . . I had an “a-ha” moment. all my life people tell me I am too sensitive (not just about things that effect me – but sometimes, see something on the news, or hearing about someone heartache, can really cause me to be sorrow-filled. the burden of the homeless I work with daily is a heavy load.). anyway, i have seen my sensitive heart as a curse – – it causes low self worth, feelings of rejection and inadequacy, fear, anxiety, depression. But praying and doing the lesson this week made me realize that when I yield that sensitive heart toward God it is compassion, kindness, patience, acceptance, gentleness and caring, merciful . . .and it is a blessing. SO . . I am accepting that part of me that I struggled with and asking God to help it grow bigger in me so that He can be glorified, so that I can be more like Him.

I love closing the weekly lesson in Psalm 121 — a reminder that God is always with us . . always guarding us.

sorry I rambled, but it was a meaningful lesson week for me.

• Victoria says:

“because the reality of today takes up so much energy.” I know what you mean!
      And the talking prayers & listening prayers- WOW! I agree totally!
      Thanks for sharing! I too LOVED this week of study!

This past week I listened to a download by Renee Swope of Proverbs 31 ministries about being a purpose driven mother, and it made me think of what you said about what you had previously looked at as a weakness. Essentially, she said we are like gold miners… we have to dig through the dirt to find the nugget of gold developing in our kids. I love that what we may see as a weakness in them (or ourselves, as may be the case), may be the very thing God is using to uniquely bring himself glory through it. My goal as a Mom is to help foster my child’s strengths so he doesn’t focus on his weaknesses, as I often do. I think Father God is doing the same in us… but the amazing thing is that when we are weak, He is strong… He gets to shine through!!!

• Rhoda says:

1. My own definition of the difference between surrender and trust is that surrender to God’s will happens before you can trust God…trust grows as your relationship with God grows.
    2. Just as God’s provision of the sacrifice lamb for Abraham was the “smaller answer” compared to the promises He had made to Abraham for him and his generations to follow; so is God’s provision for my circumstances today the “smaller answer” compared to “the bigger picture” of what He has planned for my life.
    3. My struggles and needs have enhanced my prayer life because I find myself talking to God about them consistently. I am trusting in Him to see me through them and am believing they are opportunities for God’s power and grace to be revealed in my life.
    Interceding for needs I have read on the prayer wall has also enhanced my prayer life knowing that many other women have personal struggles also and are trusting God for them.
    Morning quiet time and listening to God before your day begins….praying scriptures….getting on my knees, bowing down before Him in prayer…all of the above have enhanced my prayer life. I have also learned to accept when God says “No” without understanding why..but trust Him anyway. He has also said “Yes” many times. I do love my Heavenly Father and do enjoy talking to HIM all because of Jesus who makes it possible for us to do so.
    4. A favorite moment this week was writing down the blessings that accompany faith,patience, and perseverance with each of the scriptures listed on Day 01 PATIENCE page 147.
    Another favorite moment was reading about Kelly’s background and kindergarten experience on Day 02 ANTI-LEGALISM. I also struggled with a very legalistic backgound and could really appreciate her sense of humor and her understanding of the truth of God changing our hearts.

A couple of things that I have started doing recently that have enhanced my prayer life are getting on my knees before God, and being quiet and listening for Him instead of doing all of the talking.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Day 3 really stood out for me:

a. Alli’s e-mail on page 152 was a real eye-opener for me. I was stunned to realize that this is exactly what I have done for years! I have romanticized continuously about what my life would be like if I just lived here or there, or had this or that, etc. Right behind this was the sad realization that while I have been romanticizing about life, life has been passing me by.

b. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 was made so much clearer to me through this study. I now have a better understanding of how God’s power is made perfect in my weakness and my hope is that with this new understanding I will be much quicker to call on God for his power when I am weak instead of trying to fight through it on my own.

• Victoria says:

Alli’s e-mail struck me also. I want so bad to have that perfect fairytale life…and yet I know that it will never happen! And I agree that this daydreaming has caused me to miss out on things…good things…in some ways, those fantasies have stolen my joy from me and hardened me. Ironic 🙁

Listening to God is also something that I struggle with. It is so hard for me to do because I feel like I should always be busy or I am doing nothing. Definitely something that I didn’t even think to mention in my response to that question.

Thanks for sharing!

This is what I love about doing bible studies with other women; it is so encouraging knowing that we are all very much alike and dealing with similar life issues. The things you mentioned about those fantasies stealing your joy and feeling like you should always be busy or you’re doing nothing are exactly where I’m at! I couldn’t have said it better. Thank you for your reply and honesty, it blessed me today!

You mean we are not supposed to be busy every hour of every day??? LOL… I have such a bad tendency to talk, talk, talk during prayer time… because if I get quiet, when I get quiet, my mind starts to wonder to where I need to be going or what I need to be buying or the laundry or emails, etc. etc… and my quiet time ends up stressing me out more. Still gotta figure this out.. but I’m so glad I”m not the only one who has the busy bug!

• Debby says:

1. Surrender-giving it up. Letting God take over. Trust-believing that things will work out. The trusting is the hard part.
    2. I am working through this right now with a job on the table. I analyze and think months down the road, what I am giving up, how will it work out. Instead, I just need to know that if this is what God wants for my life right now, He is big enough to work out the long term details.
    3. I struggle with prayer. I spend time in my morning walks talking with Jesus, but I don’t feel that I get very deep. I also let my day (and my gods that still creep in) take over. I have to spend those early moments with Jesus and start my day off right, but it is still a struggle.

Psalm 121 reminded me that He will not let you stumble. The Lord himself watches over you. What a peace that brings to me to know that He never leaves and watches what I am doing and where I am going.