No Other Gods Bible Study Week 8

Welcome back to our last day of the No Other Gods online bible study. On week eight of our study, Kelly Minter walks us into the pages of Ruth as an example of what might happen when we leave idols of the past behind and move forward in blind faith and obedience to God. If you have not read Kelly Minter’s second bible study called Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy–  I highly recommend it. We read this last summer with Beth Moore and it’s one of my favorite bible studies for women. As the title suggest, when we leave something or someone behind, we move forward with love and create a legacy. In our eight weeks of No Other Gods, we let go of functional gods and opened our hearts to more of God. God is love.

Like most bible studies written for women, I had a personal transformation while reading this study by Kelly Minter. When I started the study in April, I wrote inside the cover of my workbook “Dear Father, as I lead this study I pray that I will come to know and identify false gods hidden in my heart, see their potential destruction, and remove them from my life. Amen.” At the end of eight weeks, I saw how codependency became a functional god and I based many of my decisions around this false god. Saying goodbye to it allowed me the freedom to pursue God’s will for my life and to walk by obedience and faith, not by fear. A powerful moment in the study for me was when Naomi returned to her home and Ruth followed her heart, not her fears. As a result of their obedience to to the One true God, a legacy was created and retold more than 2,000 years later.

Kelly Minter writes “When it comes to our functional gods, God calls us to move away from them- sometimes its a physical move, but more often, it’s a heart move.” May your heart move each and every time you read scripture. Each woman completing this study will have a different experience and perspective of the study, because the Holy Spirit knows our hearts and our needs. I pray each of you will continue your spiritual growth and follow the path Jesus has placed before you. Please join us in future studies and grow together as women of faith.

Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Kelly Minter Quotes

• Sometimes the best response is a peaceful, humble non-response.
  • Not bowing to our idols can mean standing alone for a time.
  • If we dwell on all we’ve left behind, we’ll be tempted to return.
  • If it takes faith to say goodbye, it takes faith to say hello.
  • The Lord will not allow us to be in the desert forever.
  • Sometimes the new doesn’t present itself immediately, which is where faith comes in.
  • With every bend, twist and dip in the road, we proclaim God faithful.

1. Since we started the study 8 weeks ago, in what areas of your life have you begun removing idols and creating room for God? (page 166 )
  2. Kelly reminds us that leaving our idols is not our final goal, making room for God is. What is one thing you can do today, to make room for God in your life now?
  3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
  4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?

• Jillian says:

What a beautiful online Bible study. Thank you for the blessings!

• Lisa H says:

Removal of TV, some FB activities, some Twitter time.

Commit. Actually filling the space that is gone from the idols with God. Having the patience to wait for God to come without being hasty to fill the space with something else or to go back to the idols. Meditate on Him.

4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes. This was an excellent study. Even though it took me longer than the 8 weeks I would recommend it. The study and doing with the wonderful women at Women’s Bible Cafe.

• Victoria says:

1) Since we started the study 8 weeks ago, in what areas of your life have you begun removing idols and creating room for God? (page 166 )
    Trying to stop seeing material things as part of what makes me, me. Seperating others’ successes/things from my own- their journey is not mine!

2) Kelly reminds us that leaving our idols is not our final goal, making room for God is. What is one thing you can do today, to make room for God in your life now?
    Talk to Him about EVERYTHING! I want Him to influence my every decision and thoughts!

3) Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I so enjoyed Day 3! He is with us always, desert and all! And He offers new things, but we must CHOOSE to take hold of them!

4) Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    I would! I think it was so in depth and that ANYONE can relate to it at anytime. We all fight our own little demons…and this Bible study was a great reminder and teacher, that God is walking beside us always- even in the unknown!

3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. In addition, just the different tittles in each of the mini chapters, and filling in the different verses.
    4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes, I would recommend this study to all. I have enjoyed reading all the material in the book. In addition, I would say that Kelly is talking the truth, when she says to cast the idols out.

• Christina C. says:

1. I already knew the areas of my life that were idols, but this study has really convicted me to lay these things down and trust Him. I have really struggled with perfectionism and control. I like things to be just right and I get frustrated when they’re not. I don’t like the fact that I’m like this but never knew what to do about it. I’ve come to realize that my strengths can also be my weaknesses. Being orderly and wanting excellence is a good thing but can become an idol easily. I have been fasting from being on the internet so much. I like to find answers for everything online but instead I’ve been going to God for answers. It’s been great. Also, I’ve been trying to be more efficient. I try to get things done right away instead of procrastinating and then worrying about how they didn’t get done. I try to spend more time playing and hanging out with the kids during the day instead of doing some chores around the house. Choosing priorities. I am a work in process. God is so good!

I am so thankful to all the women that make this site possible and to all the women participating that give this site a reason to be here. Thanks everyone for making a difference in my life. I look forward to more time with you in the future!!

1. By not spending all day reading books, or watching TV. Making more time to study the Word and be in Gods presence.

2. Not spenting all day in front of the TV. I have gone back to a dark place and watching TV is not a hard thing to do.

4. Yes would recommend this study to friends, made me see things in a new light.

Thanks Christine for doing thie study. See you all on July 11th. Blessings to all.

• Debby says:

1.Since we started the study 8 weeks ago, in what areas of your life have you begun removing idols and creating room for God? (page 166 )
    I have held onto dreams that probably won’t ever happen but hold me in one place and keep me from moving on. I am learning to let go and let God.

2.Kelly reminds us that leaving our idols is not our final goal, making room for God is. What is one thing you can do today, to make room for God in your life now? I have set aside a quiet time in the morning before my husband gets up.

3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. It gives me the time to do my Bible reading and study and focus only on God.
    Ruth’s boldness in stepping out, leaving what was known and making a new life in a new land.

4.Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    I thought this study was great. It didn’t take a lot of time, but made me think about things a little deeper. I have recommended these online studies to friends.

I have really enjoyed this study, and like you, am so glad to see Kelly return to Ruth to finish it… that study last summer is one of my favorites!!!
    I have really been looking at how I spend my time. Where do I devote it? Am I making wise use of it? And is God really in the mix. That being said, I have decreased some of my outside activities. While I still am not where I want to be with my daily quiet time (I don’t think I ever will be, and that is a good thing, to want to spend more time with God), I am making a more conscious effort.
    One thing I can do today (and every day) is to look at what I am thankful for. By having a grateful heart, I place the focus on God rather than what I don’t have.
    3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Revisiting Ruth… I learn something new each time I read that chapter. One thing I was hit with tonight was thinking of Ruth traveling to a land she knew nothing about, with a woman who had essentially lost everything…what Faith… and in a God she really knew nothing about. May God help increase my faith =)
    4.Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes. It is a quick read that is scripturally based. Regardless of what is going on in our lives, we all have some thing or person who crowds out time with God, and this helps us review priorities.

• Rhoda says:

Having a grateful heart does place the focus on God rather than what we don’t have…thanks for the reminder! Your words are encouraging and beautifully expressed!

• Rhoda says:

1. In my daily schedule I am making room for God to lead and guide and take control of how He wants my day to go…putting Him first in my choices.
    2 The one thing I can do on a daily basis is to make room to love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, all my strength and all my mind…
    3. A favorite moment this week was reading Day 04 and Day 05 on lessons from Ruth. She took refuge under the wings of the God of Israel, she worked hard gleaning in the fields, she was obedient, she was waiting and God took care of providing for her in ways she never imagined He would.
    4. Would I recommend this study to a friend? Absolutely! It encourages women of all ages to put God first in our lives. As she ended the last chapter “we proclaim God faithful, good, right, and mostly proclaim Him God, with a capital G.”

I have been working on putting God first . .trying not to always deal with the “urgent” things, but to prioritize things . .and trying to put my needs a little higher up than they have been. Learning to say “no” and not feeling like I’m letting everyone down. . .trying to be more of a God pleaser than a man pleaser.

2.Kelly reminds us that leaving our idols is not our final goal, making room for God is. What is one thing you can do today, to make room for God in your life now? I think I answered that in the first question – -learning to say no to others and yes to God.

3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

the story of Ruth (I did the Ruth study and loved it) . .. I think the reminder that only God can change the course of my life . .only He can heal the broken heart and fill the empty places. so much of my life is out of control — I want to trust Him. I want to go wherever He leads. Even though it may not be easy.

4.Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    I would recommend this study. I liked how Kelly slowly bought us to the place where we did put God in His rightful place – first in our hearts.

Thank you, Christine for leading us in this study! looking forward to our summer studies — I’ve invited a couple of friends to join in — I hope they do!

1. Since we started the study 8 weeks ago, in what areas of your life have you begun removing idols and creating room for God? (page 166)

> In my relationship with my son
    > In my dreams and desires
    > In my thoughts and attitudes

Focus on pleasing God alone in all that I do, think and say.

3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Day 3 – “every follower of Christ will have to walk through the desert at times in life – it is the bridge between the old and the new.” I love the concept of the desert times being the bridge between the old and the new; this for me is a great picture of hope.

4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?

I would absolutely recommend this study to a friend. I think it is well written and relevant. It is the first Kelly Minter study that I have done and I look forward to doing more in the future.

• Elle says:

Well I had a huge problem with wanting everything new, in the past 8 weeks I have felt that urge soften and now that void being filled by the Lord. I have been spending more time with family, reading, and hiking.
    I have been getting up a little eailier to make room for God. Spending time with him in the peace of the morning has really helped me center my mind, heart, and day around the Lord.
    3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Ruth’s story inspired me last week. Following your heart and not acting in fear.
    4.Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes, I thought this was beautifully done and Christine did an amazing job leading it. I have to Thank You Christine for the email half way through when I hadn’t posted for a while, thanks for the accountability.

• Allison says:

Sometimes we need a thorough cleaning. Our lives become infested with things that occupy God’s proper place. To seek God means we make space for Him—to prepare our lives for His presence to dwell with us. Patrick Morley said, “The turning point in our lives is when we stop seeking the gods we WANT, and start seeking the God Who IS.” It has been through unpacking an entire truck during our recent move that I have found many idols along the way. I am in the process of acknowledging those things in my life that have taken the place of God and are preventing me from finding Him. Additionally, I spend time watching things on television that leave little time for reading the Bible & prayer. Is it possible I have a heart preoccupied with material things instead of the Spirit of God?

I need to sign up for another Womensbiblecafe Bible Study…this has been a great tool to keep me reading and studying the Bible. I feel it helps me to have something like this to help keep me accountable…especially since we have yet to find a church in our new area.

3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

It is interesting reading about the Dessert versus the Promised Land on page 173. I am still getting adjusted to actually living in the dessert (Arizona). This past week, I have learned of the coyotes, javelinos, snakes, pack rats, (kind of an ironic name for this rodent), scorpions, etc. that dwell in this part of the country. Although we have been very blessed with my husband’s job providing for myself and our 4 kids for over 30 years, I kind of feel like I am alone in the dessert (having only lived here 4 weeks and not having met anyone yet). I know it will get better…we have been transferred with his job many times before, so I am confident that I will meet people, find a church, find some activities to give me a sense of accomplishment, and a place to volunteer…things to take away the cliche dessert analogy.

4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?

I enjoyed the study because it doesn’t take a huge time commitment, it is fairly easy, and it is very applicable. Is there anyone that does not have idols and false gods in their lives? This is a study that I feel would be good for people of all ages, both men and women. No Other Gods helped me identify the obstacles preventing me from seeking God more diligently. We all need to set aside time for preparing our souls: clearing debris. We need to put into place some good spiritual disciplines that will help us connect more intimately with God.