Welcome back to the Womens Bible Study Cafe! We’ve just finished reading week two of Brave by Angela Thomas. This week we studied a difficult subject and learned about the thorn in our side or in the side of someone we love. Our lesson centered on this scripture verse:
7And to keep me from being puffed up and too much elated by the exceeding greatness (preeminence) of these revelations, there was given me a thorn (a splinter) in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to rack and buffet and harass me, to keep me from being excessively exalted. [Job. 2:6.] 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 Amplified
When I look at the verse in the Amplified version, I am reminded the thorn is a small as a splinter in God’s Kingdom- yet often as huge as a truck in ours. When we are tempted to amplify the thorn it soon becomes the center of our lives and we take our focus off God. Angela writes “it is a thorn in my flesh until God decides to remove it or until I stand in glory, finally free.”
Angela Thomas explains the importance of thorns in this week’s study- why they are necessary and how they are removed. Our week ends with a lesson in humility- something we often experience after being pierced with a thorn. She writes “May the humility of our thorns become a beautiful coat to be worn for the glory of God.”
Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.
Angela Thomas Quotes
- Even the solidly grounded believer can give in to the pain and begin doubting her worth because of a thorn.
- Satan wants you to doubt God’s love for you.
- Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it’s thinking of yourself less.
- The grace of God is not a secret you keep locked in your soul.
For Next Week
- Read Week Three in the workbook
- Optional: Watch the Session Four Video (optional due to cost)
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- What is your thorn? If it is a person, please don’t use names, just say “a relationship.” ( page 37 )
- What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )
- What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.