Brave Online Bible Study Begins Today

By July 10, 2011Brave

Welcome to Summer bible study as we begin reading Brave- Honest Questions Women Ask by Angela Thomas. Our six-week womens bible study encourages us to become brave women who live by the Spirit and not by insecurity, fear or what other people think we should do. It’s not too late to sign-up and join us in the Brave study, just click here. Please begin reading week one this week, and be sure to also read About the Author on pages 4 and 5. As you begin your study know that Angela’s prayer for you is to encounter the truths of God and live in His power as brave women.

Each week there are five daily lessons in the Brave bible study, so you will read one per day for five days of the week. The best way to stay on track and not fall behind is to wake up 30 minutes early each day. Get your hot coffee or tea, find a comfortable place to read and begin a  daily habit of spending your mornings with God. Put God first and begin your day in His Word. We know from past experience- those women who wait until lunchtime or evening to study the bible rarely finish the study. Life happens and it often interferes with bible study.

As you read your bible study, for six weeks you’ll put God first in your life. Your focus will be on Him at the start of your day. It’s interesting when we read in the morning, we’re often reminded of our lesson throughout our busy day. A verse or a phrase will simmer in your mind and then refreshes itself sometime in the day. For me, this is one of the greatest benefits of bible study and why I desire to share it with you as I lead the study.

Please pray for the 225+ women who are participating in the Summer bible study here at the Womens Bible Cafe. Pray specifically for the enemy to back off- and for each woman to grow in her individual faith journey.

We are having technical problems with the website (wordpress upgrade affected our site design) and hope to correct it soon. Pray our blog designer will find the time in her busy schedule to attend to our upgrade needs and for the process to flow without any major issues. For now, you need to click the category  link at the top of the page called “Brave” in order to find the latest updates. When the site is updated, the updates will appear on the front page as they normally do.

We will “meet” here again next week and have a group discussion about what you read for week one. I am praying for each of you as you begin your Summer Bible Study!

Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.

Homework for This Week

• Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your 6-week bible study.
  • Complete Week One  in your workbook.
  • Watch the Session One Video and Session Two Video (optional due to the cost)
  • If you are on Facebook and want to have mid-week conversations with women in the group, join our private chat room
  • If you want a photo next to your comments, visit the site Gravatar.com

Group Discussion- Please post a comment and answer these two questions

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
  2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

• Carla Brooks says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    Stressful

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    I’m just trying to get to know Him. I want to be closer to Him. I’m chasing after Him. At the same time, I want to be brave. Sometimes when you really love the Lord other people just don’t get it. How do you glority him with your life and not be thought of as weird or crazy? Were all of the apostles thought of as weird?

• Nichole says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD:
    Overwhelming

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study:
    I’d like to make more time with the Lord each day, and hopefully make some friends and be encouraged here.

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. busy
    2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. To slow down in some things and not worry as much.

• Jennifer says:

1 – Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.

EXHAUSTING

2 – Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

To learn to fully rely on God to give me the strength, energy, discipline, endurance, motivation, encouragement that I need to get through each day.

• Janet says:

One Word: Tired

Goal: To get closer to God and receive strength from him that all will be good.

• Shelly Coggins says:

Characterize your life in the present season using one word – overloaded. My daughter graduated from high school in May and we have not stopped yet. Family crisis earlier this year and we survived thanks to God’s grace. I should feel blessed and loved and I feel overwhelmed and anxious instead. I worry more about what people of this world think of me than i need to and lose focus on God’s purpose for my life. I let worldly people’s cruel words toward me or my family rule my emotions and distract me almost daily. I know in my heart that it’s Satan at work and nothing else. Prayers appreciated!

• Melissa says:

One Word: Confused.
    Goal: I am hoping to gain confidence and strength to make tough decisions and change my life.

• Adrienne says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.– BUSY

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. — To take pleasure in the things that God has for me to do.

My One Word: Living. I am at a point in my life where I finally feel that through God’s help, I am living. Victorious. Yes, there are still difficulties, but I am turning to HIm.
    My goals for this study are to continue to grow closer to Him, and to demonstrate His love in my life to others.

• Carol says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. – Transition

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. Staying focus on the Lord no matter what enters into my life, and becoming strong in Him.

• Becky says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD- Guilty

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study- To reconnect with the vine so I can clearly remember that I am loved and I am forgiven despite my tremendous shortcomings.

• Sarahlinn says:

One Word: Stuck
    I am coming out of a season of rebellion and sin after being so on fire for God. I have repented, but still feel unworthy of everything that God has for me and am unsure what to do about it. I want to just step back on my old path, but I don’t feel that is possible. Hoping that this study will light my path and strengthen my relationship with Him again.

• heather says:

One word: Thankful
    God has blessed me so much and has molded me in discipline and trial. During the struggles of the last three years all I could do was cry out to Him and trust that He was in control….now I am able to look back and see his handywork. I am hopeful that this study will be another tool that He uses to help me grow closer to Him.

• jenny says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. changing trying to be brave and not let fear creep in
    Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. to grow closer to the Lord and make fear get behind me i am not really a fearful person per say just struggle with stepping out when i feel called

• Lisa says:

One Word: Inconsistent
    Goal: I hope to consistently BE STILL and spend time with God and His Word each day. I hope to LET GO of the things that I need to LET GOD handle.

• Carmen says:

One Word: Dry
    Hopefully I will accomplish through this study: Getting refocused

• Pam says:

My life summed up in one word: tired. I stay tired of running, running, running. Running errands for my family, running to work, running home to fix dinner. But, I know that the LORD sees and knows everything. I just can’t wait to get home and spend time with HIM.

• Keelia Taylor says:

My life in one word….overwhelmed. Goal: Refocus my life with guidance from the Creator.

• Stephanie says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD: overwhelmed. Tired of battling eating disorder. Lonely. Stressed with life.

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this Bible study: Firstly, to take courage to believe with all my heart that I am who God says I am (righteous and in right standing with Him) because of the sacrifical blood of Jesus Christ..and then act on it. Secondly to become brave enough in Him to overcome my disordered eating/exercise bondage. I am married with 4 children and need to be whole to be the wife and mother I so desire to be.

• Shawn says:

Stephanie,

I will be praying with you and for you to overcome your eating disorder. You are a victor in every situation that comes your way. You have been delivered and set free through the blood of Jesus Christ. Keep the faith and keep pressing foward.

• Angelic says:

In this season of life, I am “Seeking”. I am seeking balance in all areas of my life.

My goal is to hear God clearer, better with each passing day, so I can move in the manner He wants me to, then I know life will be be greater than I could ever imagine.

• Candace says:

My one word: overwhelmed

Goal: To find peace with God and to use that to find peace within me.

• Debbie says:

One Word: Lost and Lonely (well that’s two, but they change daily)

Goal: To find myself and to find God again. To realize that I am never alone with God in my life, he is always with me.

• Shawn says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD: Unfullfilled

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study: A specific goal would be to increase my spiritual growth and go deeper in my relationship with God.

• Dona says:

Characterize my life in this present season: Focused

Goal – I’m at a place where I’m focused on God and prioritizing my life. My faith, my husband, my children, then the rest… I want to be able to set into motion what I’m feeling, and dedicate myself more to what matters most.

• Candice says:

So Super xcited about this bible study!! I just finished day 2 and all I can say is WOW!! Thanks to all the ladies that recommended this study!! I am so grateful that I found this website right in time so start studying with y’all!!

One Word: amazing

Goal: to find our wonderful God and continue to grow as a person with him by my side 😉

• Sherri says:

Tormented!!
    My goal for this study is to gain more insight into my current “thorn” and to draw closer to God.

• Stephanie says:

Sherri,.
      Praying for your torment. I have been there, having been struggling with an eating disorder for a number of years. God has been granting me steps to freedom a little at a time, but I am not there yet. I remember being tormented in my thoughts by the enemy to the point I prayed to die. He can rescue you. He loves you so much. I felt to beaten and broken, I would lie face down on the carpet and cry Isaiah 42:3 “A bruised reed He will not break, and a dimly burning wick He will not quench…” He has been so faithful. He will deliver you and not crush your spirit or your body in the process. He heals with grace and dignity. May you feel His love wrap around you and hold you today.

• Veronica says:

One Word ~ Scared

Goal ~ To listen to God’s voice and to have Him lead me in the direction He laid out for me long ago and for Him to show me I am braver than I think.

• Yvonne says:

One Word: Lost

Goal: That I find my way back to you Lord, and put you first in my life. Help me to be the person you see deep down inside of me. Help me to follow the path you have set for me, and not stray.

• Roxann says:

Characterize my present season using ONE WORD: Attacked!
    Goal – to be led into a closer and deeper walk with God and to become brave enough “stand” with strength to pull down stong holds.

• Cissie says:

one word-unfocused

Goal: Become more focused so I will get my priorities straight. I am a strong believer and go out of my way to do for everyone else, but put my own family on the back burner way toooooo often.

• Mary Joan says:

One Word – Drained

Goal – Learn to manage the stress and exhaustion in my life God’s way. As I started reading in the book I would have to say that the Lord certainly directed me to the right study!

• Shannon says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. RESTORED

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. Grow in my knowledge of the Word to stand on God’s promises in order to refrain from backsliding into the chains of bondage that held me captive most of my life. Claim my restoration and live it out for God’s glory.

• Lucy says:

One Word – Thankful

Goal – to be more open and bold about my struggles and not let fear control me.

• Jen says:

One Word: Busy
    Goal: To seek a deeper relationship with Christ and give up some old habits.

• Lucy says:

One word – Thankful

Goal – to be more open and bold about my struggles and not let fear rule over me.

• Lisa says:

ONE WORD: pulled
    GOAL: My Goal is to draw closer to GOD through prayer and study and through the experiences and fellowship with others. For His wisdom in my daily situations, for His direction in my life, for His comfort and peace that only He can provide.

• Jean says:

I did respond to this earlier today, but I do not see it here… I will try again…..

One Word: Overwhelmed – by obligations and responsibilities.
    Goal: To find hope, see a future of joy, love, peace, acceptance, love….with God and others.

• Stacey Dilley says:

One Word: Hectic

Goal: To find insight into the what the Bible says about my day-to-day life and frustrations.

• liz says:

One word: Searching

Goal: To renew my relationship with God and make that relationship a focus in my life.

• Michelle says:

One word: amazed!
    This was a hard thing, to find one word. Amazed covers a variety of things both good and bad. Amazed at God’s grace, amazed at God’s blessings and abundance. Amazed at my inability to give time in devotion and study to Him, amazed at how I fail Him as a mother and amazed at how I am unable to let go.

Goal: to do as this study caused me to do today. Read His word, seek His face, find balance and peace that comes with a faithful walk with Him. To let go and bask in His love and glory. To allow Him to help me NOT be worn out!!

• Nataiya says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    – Overwhelming

Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    – My goal is to focus more on trusting God and relying less on my personal direction and fears.

• Melissa M says:

ONE WORD: Stressed
    GOAL: To get into the habit of beginning my day with God. If I start my day in this positive way then I will feel equipped and “braver” to handle the things that are stressing and overwhelming me right now.

• Elysa says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. Stormy
    2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. My goal is to learn to ride the storms out with Jesus.

• Stefanie says:

ONE WORD: Overwhelmed! (But today I’m very encouraged because of some positive things that happened today!)

GOAL: To not be hopeful or overwhelmed depending on the day’s circumstances, but to have a continual faith and assurance that comes from a strong walk with the Lord.

• Lori says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. undisciplined
    2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    Be inspired by God’s word to change my focus and follow through with my goals I have not been able to meet.

• Marilyn says:

1. One word: Distracted

2. I would like to feel that it’s OK to feel inadequate and less than perfect, and to accept that many things are beyond my control.

• Laura says:

1. One word to characterize my life…unfulfilled. I am so blessed with a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful, healthy children, and recently I can’t seem to find contentment in my life.
    2. My goal (first online Bible Study, btw) is to grow in my faith by putting my relationship with God at the TOP of my priority list. I love the idea of starting my day with God’s Word.

• Frances says:

my life in this present season in ONE WORD: FAITH – faith because that is what I am clinging to right now. Sometimes my problems and stress seem to be overwhelming and I try to cling tightly to my faith.

a specific goal I have for being in this bible study is to renew my spiritual life and draw closer to the Lord. I have not done a Bible study in a long time and want to get back to spending time everyday with the Lord.

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD- LOST.

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study- To find my way back to God, and to draw nearer to the Lord again.

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD – Stressed.

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study – To continue to develop & strengthen my relationship with God.

• Crystal says:

Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD: Organizing
    Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study: I’m hoping to work on myself spiritually, while I’m going through emotional and mental counseling. I want to draw nearer to God as He draws nearer to me. I want to feel His presence.

• Hayley says:

One word that characterizes my life in this season is CHALLENGING.

I hope that this Bible study drives home truths I know in my head and helps them become truths I know in my heart. I want to build on struggles in my life where I am exhibiting bravery and I want to practice bravery in struggles where I still have fear. In fact, I want to ENJOY bravery in these fearful areas because I know there will be blessings 🙂

• Kathleen Jones says:

My word is BUSY….
    I am striving to find time each and every day for quietness, rest, and reading of God’s Word so that I might hide it in my heart to carry me through all the busyness of life.
    Jesus always does his part, it is time I get serious on my side of things for consistency.

• Dana says:

1. My word is Stormy. It seems like we have had one storm after another, and I need some peace.

2. My goal with this study is to get back into God’s Word, and make time for daily study and prayer in my life.

My word would be exhausted. I am tired physically and mentally. I los my mother last month and between grief, work and family obligations I feel like I am on a merry-go-round. I feel like I could sleep for a month stright, but then have problems sleeping at bedtime. The sad part is I really don’t even mind that life is passing me by as I am too emotionally numb to notice most of the time.

My goal is to gain back my enthusiasm for life, for God, and for myself. It is hard to be a good witness for God when all you want to do is sleep! I know I can do it, I just need a little push and am hoping this Bible study is just what I need!

• Melissa says:

1) Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    Alone

Due to a recent death of my 11 yr old Sept 2010 I can be in a room full of people and still feel “alone”. God has been pulling at my heart for quite some time and trying to get over the grieving part by doing it “on my own”. I’m getting there and looking forward to what this study has to offer. Just checked and my workbook is on the front porch steps waiting for me when I get home.

2) Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    To put God first and try not to do so much on my own without Him.

Praying for you loss Melissa- allow God inside your heart to clean our the deep wounds of your grief. We’re here to support you and I am always a phone call or email away! {{{HUGS}}}

• Shawn says:

Just wanted you to know that I am praying for you as well. I could only imagine your grief, but I am praying with you. God will give you the peace and restoration you need.

• Sarah says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. LONELY
    2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    To find a connection to God that has been weakened due to my caregiver responsibilities that seem never-ending. My hope is when I feel more connected to God, I will not worry so much about others and how they see me and be happy with who I am now.

Sarah,

Hi I understandstand how you feel. I am a caregiver for my husband 24/7 and it does get lonely. I too feel as if I have lose my faith in God. I will pray for you. Blessings.

• Sandra says:

Also a caregiver. The word lonely came to mind when I was trying to select one. We’re not alone….

Sandra,

Thanks for your comment. I know we are not alone!!!!! I just feel as I am….moved in Nov. and have no friends here, so I have some pretty long, lonely….either if my husband is here with me all the time. Blessings to you.

• Victoria says:

Just wanted to let you all know that I am so glad that we are NOT alone! And that TOGETHER we are going to grow in knowledge of Christ through this study and (I pray) grow strong Christian friendships!
      So thankful to be a part of this study with BRAVE women like you all!

• Wendy says:

My word would be – ABSENT

My goal for this bible study would be to gain more knowledge and peace and become more present in my own life.

• Sandra says:

1. Characterize you life in one word: Stressfull
    2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study; To study God’s word and find scripture to help me thru trying times.

• Alyssa says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD: Hurting

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

My main goal is to let go and let God–be brave enough to say that I can’t do everything on my own and I shouldn’t have to. I want to allow God to take the reigns of control and start to heal my heart from all the hurt I’ve gone through the past 1-2 years. Please pray for me on my journey.

• Robin says:

My word would be Lost.
    I have lost my way and am struggling to find my way back. I have lost who I am and no longer know who I am. I have lost my goals, my opinions, my own thoughts.

One goal I have is for me to find the path that will lead me to the person I am supposed to be. To let me find enough of myself to come out from the shadows and start to shine with what God has given me. To lose the fear, and gain enough bravery to take that first step.

• Georgia says:

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD. Overwhelm
    2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. Develop more focus in my relationship with God. Stop using my human issues as excuses to not draw closer to him.

Georgia

1. Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD: Blessed

2. Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study. My goal in this study is to continue to put God first. I want my day to align around Him, not around myself, my family or my job.

• Leigh Williamson says:

Where do I begin the bible study starting today?

• Victoria says:

1) Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.
    HECTIC!!!
    I’ve allowed life to get in my way and it’s got me running around like a chicken with the head cut off!

2) Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.
    My goal during this study is to first of all, draw closer to God!
    Secondly, I want to gain a little bravery- even if it’s just a tiny hint that will get the ball rolling so that I can continually become braver and braver!
    Thirdly, just to BE STILL more often..to slow down and enjoy God’s presence and to listen.

• Tammy Franklin says:

1.Characterize your life in this present season using ONE WORD.

Uncontrollable

2.Share a specific goal you have for being in this bible study.

I just want peace and calmness in all areas of my life.