Brave Online Bible Study Week One

By July 17, 2011Brave

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Study Cafe! We’ve just finished reading week one of Brave by Angela Thomas.  Our study begins with a discussion of being worn out- physically, emotionally, and sometimes drained of spiritual strength. We then examined eight lessons on God’s provision for worn out souls. Our week ended with a beautiful prayer of refreshment on page 30 in the workbook.

To finish this week, we thought you’d like to watch this ten minute video “Worn Out” by Angela Thomas.

May you find rest in your soul knowing God the I AM.

Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.

Angela Thomas Quotes

• The truth of our humanity is that no superwoman exists on this earth.
  • I have squarely and firmly put my faith in His ability to run the planet. He is able.
  • The Creator is well acquainted with our design.
  • Sit and listen to the gentle voice of God.
  • Turn to God first.
  • There’s a lightness in the forgiven soul.

1. Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. (page 9 )
  2. How would you advise someone to live above the sun? (page 14 )
  3. What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

1.I am worn out because I keep doing the same thing over and over (the definition of insanity). I say yes too much and run when my feet hit the floor.
    2.Through prayer, searching through God’s Word, and trying not to focus on troubles.
    3.I have been trying to do this. It looks like this, on the Sundays I’ve been able to (as school is starting back I have been a little crazy lately). Get up, read my Bible, head to church, eat with the family, lounge by the pool, read a good book, walk, good long bubble bath, and read my Bible some more. Add in some computer time somewhere in there. I must admit I do feel much better when I do this.
    4.Realizing that it is normal to be tired, but He is never tired. He is always there to take care of my problems, even when I am too tired to even think about them.

In one of our bible studies I remember the author saying to “Let God lead. He is the CEO and you are the manager.” (I think it was Priscilla Shirer in Jonah, thought I’m unsure so don’t quote me). So it may help to filter your choices through God’s business plan! Sometimes we need to say “no” when it does not serve God’s will for us. Maybe He intends for another person to fill the volunteer role; maybe He needs your time for a different role. Saying yes to self and others means we often have to say no to God. Filter your choices. 🙂 There is no shame in resting – so take some time and fill your cup with peace. It’s a gift.

I’m trying to catch up.
    1.Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. (page 9 ) – I try to do too much in one fell swoop because I procrastinate and I don’t take care of myself.
    2.How would you advise someone to live above the sun? (page 14 ) – Make God first. I’m still working on this. I’m use to putting family first.
    3.What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? Remember that Jesus rested so we should too. I’ve tried to do a lot of physical work in the last couple of weeks since my husband is recovering from surgery and believe I’ve injured myself. Hard lesson to learn about the importance of rest.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The kind of work we do apart from God’s leading is anxious toil. WHAT an eye opener.

• Stephanie says:

Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. (page 9 ) I’m tired of dealing with food issues and looking for approval from others – making it hard for me to say no.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I have enjoyed all the reading week. Page 8 where it says that I am brave on the side. Listing the Big 3 on page 10. Circling the words on page 13. The smiley face on page 14. Page 17 in the box towards the bottom of the page, that starts out He does not become weary or wear out. Page 30 the whole page.

Hi everyone, I have been trying to post since the 19th of July……..I hit a wrong key and everything goes proof…..so time this I hope and pray it will go through. Christine says “”It is spiritual censorship.” LOL.

1. I am worn out beacuse…….I wear so many hats in a day…….caregiver for my husband, friend, dog mom, sister, and voulteer. May not sound as if I am worn out, but I wonder were my day goes and the hours. I try and do so much for everyone who needs help and than I feel if I am leaving God out of my life. So, I guess I also need more hours iin the day.

2. How would you advise someone to live above the sun? Be in the SON not under the sun. Pray, read your Bible, do studies, and go to church. Be with other belivers during the week if you can and just not on Sunday.

3. What can you do to have a regular Sabbath rest? Be with God, put wordly things aside, and focus on the one above.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Knowing that Jesus needed rest and time by his self.

Blessings to all.

• Jody says:

It seems like a lot of us actually took time out this past Sunday to ENJOY and REST on the Sabbath! I did too!!!

• Sharon says:

My favorite thing was getting back into a Bible study and being reminded that I will not be defeated if I go to God for my rest.

• Elysa says:

My favorite bible verse is Isaiah 40:31, and I know it by heart. It helps to have it broken down and to reexamine it. I love how it was described that there is an exchange made. Exchanging our weariness for His strength which may come after a waiting period. I have waited before and I will wait again because He is the everlasting God!

• Felicia says:

1. I am worn out because I almost never stop to think, to give myself a private quiet times to be still and be present to myself talking to God and to do what I want to do ( such as reading ). I busied myself with my household duties as a wife and a mum, busy with my own thoughts, hurts, wounds, …..with so many things going on here I sort of jammed, numb, lost to be able to see His love….at times I shut His love by shutting myself to others.

2. How would I advice someone to live above the sun ?
    Everything happens for a reason but no matter what God has promises us that He’ll never ever leave us alone. And the only help is from God. Look for God, find God and ask God for helps. What the world demands, how the way we deal with thing in this world is very different from God’s way. We should try to do what Jesus had done when He was a human then we can be free from all those negativeness.

3. What can I do to observe a regular Sabbath rest?
    To spend some quiet times daily just to talk to God or just stay still and quiet without making any prayers or talking but just letting God knows that now I just want to be with You and feel Your presence. I missed the rest that He gave me before when I just sit still with a quiet mind.

4. From 1st week I understand that I am not superwoman though I can do multi tasking and this thing actually sucked me out to the core at times. As much thing I can do I am still limited to what I can do and this shows that I still need His helps.

• Shawn says:

During this week, I learned that we will get worn out in this life. It is how we handle our weariness. God will give us the strength to handle any situation, if we allow Him to do it and we take our hands off it. I learned that the next time I am feeling worn out or weary, I just need to take a moment, pray, read a scripture, devotional etc;

• jenny says:

i am worn out because i feel like everyone wants me to think for them to and they seem to be in constant need. also trying to make the finances last for the month and not worry about those last 10 days .

to live above the sun is to let go and LET GOD

i just got my book today so i need to catch up read days 1-3

• Janet says:

1.Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. (page 9 )

I feel like I never stop…

2.How would you advise someone to live above the sun? (page 14 )

Pray for help and dig deep io regain your path.

3.What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest?

Learn to say no to working an extra day.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

The feeling that it is okay to feel this way and that God wants me to be tired when I goto bed.

• Rebecca says:

I am worn out because… I want to do it all… I want to take on the world head on and forget that I need time for myself, time to cutivate my relationships (being the best wife/friend/ sister I can), time to do the daily tasks of life and time to really seek the Lord (thats why I am here… with your help everyday I will be motivated to be in the word through this acountablity process).

This has always been a struggle of mine. I am a beliver, but a type A personality so I have a hard time giving up that control and not doing it all.

What can you do to deserve a regular Sabath…. I try to take time (maybe not daily, yet but I am getting better at it) to really enjoy a cup of coffee and really focus on myself (study the word, read a book, take a nap, watch my favorite movie). Just be REBECCA for a while. 🙂

• Amanda says:

I am worn out because I do everything my self and can’t say no. When I say that I do everything myself, it is by my own self will. I am kindof a controlling person, I want things done right and don’t trust other people to come through for me. When I have tried to let go, it seems that people always fail me. I do no that God would never fail me! I am the reason that I am worn out!

• Victoria says:

A little late, but here it goes ladies!

1) Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. I don’t have enough time to fulfill all of my responsibilities.
    2) How would you advise someone to live above the sun? focus on God, seek Him in His Word, Pray back His promises to Him.
    3) What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? Stop trying to put a lot of work into my scheduled days off (the weekend). Less cleaning/housekeeping! Take more time to enjoy the blessings that God has given me (my family & children). More prayer & quiet time DAILY, as well as on my “off-days”.
    4) Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I really enjoyed the whole week, but I especially loved the prayer on the last day. And I loved how she pointed out how Jesus did not heal everyone or visit every town! And how Jesus, in his human state, needed many of the same things that I need, rest being one of them! Very, very eye-opening and comforting in a way 🙂

• Carol says:

I am worn out because…. overcoming strong holds and changing. Also, battling spiritual warfare.

How would you advise someone to live above the sun? Living above your circumstances and plugging into the Lord every day by being in a bible study where you study the scriptures. Our strength and guidance comes from getting into the word and we develop God’s mindset instead of our own.

What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? Doing a fun activity which will bring us closer. Also,
    my husband and I started a pray and share time every night. We use to read to each other a chapter out of a Christian book every night and that was great, too!

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Eight lessons concerning God’s provisions for the weary.

• Lisa says:

HI, I am new to this website. Please someone help me get started. I just bought my workbook and obviously need to read week 1 of the workbook. I read online that summer sessions are on Tuesday so what does that mean for me? What happened today or will happen…Much thanks for helping me get started…

Hi Lisa, welcome! Click the “Getting Started” button at the top of the page and you should be fine. We discuss the lessons on Monday, however some women have just started reading and will jump into the discussion when they are ready.

• Michelle says:

I am worn out because: like many others I live for everyone else…I forget that I am living for God! I am doing so many “good things” for Him, but as Angela said in the video, me saying yes when I should not does not make up for the many times others say no when they should not.

A regular Sabbath rest…I need to rest, not just my body, but my spirit! it is a Sabbath rest if I rest fully and that is the component I miss, the full rest of body, mind and spirit!

If I can live where I am not “under the sun” then I won’t get sunburned…dear Lord, let me live under your SON instead!!

• Sherri says:

I am worn out from trying to be obedient…to wait for God’s promises.

Living above the clouds to me means to remember that we cannot always see the sun for the clouds, but if you have ever flown, you know that the sun is always shining!!!
    It often feels as though God is not there, but there are clouds of adversity, clouds of doubt, clouds of confusion, clouds of guilt that get in our way and deceive us into thinking that God is not there for us, but he is!! So mentally, we must live above the clouds.

Observing a regular Sabbath rest means making sure that I have time each week to hear God, to praise him, to thank him, to pray to him. This doesn’t have to be only on a Sunday, in my opinion. So, therefore, I need to make it a priority to meet with him at least day during the week, over and above my daily walk with Him.

I think what spoke to me the most this week was that “repentance leads to refreshing.”

Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. my life has had a series of trials, heartbreak and I try so hard to not let others see the hurt.
    How would you advise someone to live above the sun? for me it would be to remind them (and me!) to focus on God . .on WHO He is . .
    What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? I shared on Facebook that I did take a Sabbath rest on Saturday – -spent time sitting outside (it was a beautiful day), reading, doing my Bible Study, enjoying a cup of my favorite tea . . and in the afternoon I read a fiction book – -just for fun! I didn’t worry about laundry, cooking or cleaning the house. It was a wonderful day. I felt so relaxed. I am going to try to plan those kind of days a little more often!
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. My Sabbath!

• CeCe says:

I can so relate to so many of your comments on here, feeling completely overwhelmed, worn out, and guilty to ever take any time out to read, watch a TV show, play with the kids, etc. I have learned, though, that the main one putting all of the pressure and demands on me was ME! I am really working on prioritizing my days… spending time with God, enjoying my kids, and going about my daily tasks with a good attitude! I find when I allow myself to take little breaks away from all life’s demands, I am a better wife, mom, and just happier in general.

I love how you point out ” the main person putting all the pressures and demands on me was ME!”
      How true that is with all of us!

I am a bit late posting (sorry). I am worn out by trying to be all things to all people. I liked the post above that says “Let go and Let God!” I lost my mother last month and June has become mostly just a blur. She would not be happy that I have allowed myself to become so disconnected and this study is telling me that grief will make me weary but that I can find the rest I need if I quit trying to do everything myself. Once again God has provided just what I need WHEN I need it. I need to concentrate on God and HIs will for my life, not my own. I am so looking forward to the next five weeks!

• Keri says:

1.Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…. (page 9 )

I am worn out because I work full time and am also in graduate school. In the hardest time of my life when I lost everything I thought to be true, God moved me to a brand new city, all alone and by myself. It has been through this year that God was able to work with just me. I am worn out because I cannot say no, when someone asks me to help… or do something. I then overburden myself and stress out about what I must get done. I am worn out because I place too much worth in what others think of me and I am working to hard to please. I am worn out because God wants me to be. I am worn out, because in this time of great suffering, He will be magnified!

• Alyssa says:

1. I am worn out because…I have undergone a lot of trauma in the past 1-2 years. I have tried to deal with it all on my own, while essentially sweeping all of my burdens “under the rug.” They have began to pile up and all the hurts that have come with them. I am also burned with poor choices I have made that I can’t seem to forgive myself for and it’s very difficult when others are finding it hard to forgive me, as well.

2. How would you advise someone to live above the sun? Begin to rely on God for all your needs. Let go and let God–do only what you’re able, be satisfied with that, and let Him handle the rest of what you can’t. He IS able to do the impossible.

3. What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? I have decided that from now on I am going to take Sundays off from work. I work retail and so I most always work on this day and I can’t always make it to church or spend time with my family. I want to go to church more and I want to rest. My soul needs it.

4. My favorite moment from this week’s study is when I realized that God is truly in control of my life and I have been doing way too much on my own. No wonder I’m tired and depressed. I keep forgetting He is the God I Am..I’m not Superwoman but HE is a super God. Thank goodness.

Love and prayers to all you ladies doing this study!

• Roxann says:

1. I am worn out because… trying to juggle work and time with family/home responsibilites;making time to spend with my husband…feeling pretty much like a failure all the way around… lots of guilt about not being there for my kids enough.
    2. Advice for sabbath rest… Take time to put God first in your life… listen to His quiet voice trying to be drowned out by all the business and worry of everyday life… make a consious effort to do this every week; even though there is a lot of opposition to making time for the things of God… He will reward your effort!

• Lisa says:

My favorite things this past week during this study were, reading and studying through Isaiah 40:28-31 as well as how the study emphasized Matthew 11:28 which happen to also be in that days reading I was doing in addition to the brave study and not coincidently was a day that I was feeling weary and burdened. 🙂 He offers rest!! So reassuring!! 🙂

• Stacey Dilley says:

I am worn out because I put too much pressure on myself to get everything done by myself. I don’t ask for help. I get tired and then I get grumpy/hateful.
    How would you advise someone to live above the sun? Practice thanking God through out the day. Be constantly aware of his presence and his help in your daily life.
    What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? I need to not have any chores to do on Sunday. I need to make every effort to have true free time on Sunday.

• Pam-Louisiana says:

1. I am worn out because I work 2 jobs and I try to keep up with my housework and keeping dinner done for my family , plus my husband sings in a Gospel group, and I do things for the church. Whew!!!!
    2. To live above the sun would be to get up out of bed, pray, and then do a BIBLE study, pray again, and rejoice in the LORD all day.
    3. My favorite from this week is finding out that GOD knows that I am tired. That is wonderful to know that I am not the only one.

• Carol says:

I’m worn out because as a single professional who is blessed to own a home, I find that there is always something that needs to be done and never enough time to do it. Sometimes it would be nice to share the responsibility of homelife with another.

• Cissie says:

I’m worn out because I am so overwhelmed which causes me to be unfocused and scattered. For instance, I left Brave in my hotel room yesterday when I left Florida. The closest place to get another is over 30 miles away. 🙁

From what I can remember about the notes I wrote, the best part of the study this past week was discovering there are many women out there who feel overwhelmed.

Have a blessed day, my sweet sisters!

• Jean says:

I am worn out because even though I cannot keep up like I used to, I still try to meet all the demands on me.
    To Live “above the sun” we need to take time to nourish our relationship with HIM and remain in the WORD.
    Regular Sabbath rest – worship/church/dedication to HIM without feeling like it is another obligation.
    Best part of the study this week – relief from discovering I am not alone in how I feel and finding a trickle of hope…

• Laura says:

I am worn out because I don’t take time for myself.

As a stay at home mom of 4, I often let the routine take over my days, including Sunday. Yesterday we enjoyed church as a family, really simple meals and I played outside with the kids, read books, and just enjoyed time. I have to admit, I spent a half hour last night catching up a bit, but I feel that we have to push aside that daily routine to enjoy a Sabbath rest. It really does create a joyful feeling to just spend time and enjoy being a Mom, no pressure to be busy.

• Robin says:

I am worn out because I try to do everything for everyone. I try so hard to please everyone, and it’s never enough. No one ever notices except to complain.

Favorite moment: There is no SUPERWOMAN!
    Also the prayer on page 25 truly touched me. It was putting my feelings into words, and it made me feel better knowing that I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’m not alone after all.

• Roxann says:

I am worn out because… under spiritual attack!

How to advise someone to live above the sun: Read God’s Word, Psalm 27, Psalm 121
    Pray to the Father in order to stay connected to our spiritual source.

Favorite moment of Bible study: when I turned off the computer, TV and closed my eyes and turned my thoughts towards God’s gracious love to me.

Many spiritual attacks happen when you draw closer to God. Claim your ground, ask for intercessory prayer and fight the battle with scripture. Let God refresh you with His love letter: the Bible. Praying Roxann!

• Chelli says:

“Many spiritual attacks happen when you draw closer to God.”
        Christine I had heard this before but never knew it to be true until I really got serious a few months ago about seeking God’s will for my life. Its seems like I saw the sun for a minute and then the clouds rolled in and the rain and thunder hit me all at once. I’ve always thought of myself as a strong woman but I never knew I could get so low, where I was literally brought to my knees in tears and had to cry out to God. I had to learn (and am still learning right now) how to fight the battle with scripture. So much easier said than done but I thank God that He has promised that we can be renewed by the transformation of our minds. Your words to Roxann and to me are comforting and motivating, so thank you! Roxann I will be praying for you as I pray for myself as well.

• Roxann says:

Christine,
        I haven’t been on-line for a few days….

I appreciate your taking the time to share with me concering spiritual attacks with me and Chelli. This attack came from a source I never would have expected it from. But God is faithful and His Word is true.” No weapon formed against me shall prosper”.
        Also, I thank you for shairing the book Invisible War.. I will look into it.
        Please join with me in intercessory prayer.

Joining you in armed forces…praying against the enemy and knowing that the Lord has created the ground before you. Claim your victory in Jesus name.

• Carol says:

Hi Roxann,

I totally understand what you are going through and I have also been experiencing spiritual warfare, too. Since I have completed the “Breaking Free” bible study, many things have changed in my life for the better but I have also have experienced a lot of spiritual warfare. I will be praying for you, Roxann. Thank you, Christine for the advice you gave to Roxann, I will follow it too!

• Roxann says:

Hi Carol,

I am also praying for you during this season of spiritual warfare, We have the Victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!

• Chelli says:

I am worn out because I have been trying to do and figure out the solutions to my problems and ways to ease my heartache on my own, instead of trusting and resting in God to handle it all…

…seek the one and only heart-healer…His name is Jesus. Give it all to Him, not just pieces of it. Let him mend your heart-scars and let Him refresh you with His presence.

• Sherri says:

I think this lesson on rest is also about resting in God’s ability to work…and not ourselves and I think you picked up on that…we definitely overwork, but sometimes I know I work too hard at things I cannot change myself…those things that only God can change…your comment helped me to realize that the “rest” is also a spiritual one!

• Allison says:

1. Complete this sentence: I am worn out because…I’m tired of feeling sorry for myself. I am very blessed, so I should be thankful instead of ungrateful.

2. How would you advise someone to live above the sun? (page 14 )

I found this on facebook – it was written by Joseph Prince.

“Someone who lives life under the sun may or may not know God, but God is either forgotten or not the center of things in his life. His thoughts are earthly and he does things to gratify his flesh. In the end, he finds life depressing and unfulfilled. Life under the sun is full of despair”. When we live life above the sun, our thoughts are heavenward and we become Christ-occupied instead of self-absorbed. You live for Him because you know that all things were created through Him and for Him. (Colossians 1:16) When you live for His glory, your life takes on a new meaning and purpose. Your life will not be empty, but full of God’s goodness because “Christ in you, [is] the hope of glory”. (Colossians 1:27) It is a wonderful life — this life lived above the sun. And you will have an even more wonderful life to come in heaven!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. God Bless

• Cindy says:

My favorite things about this week’s study were being reminded that Jesus required rest, and He did not do everything. Being tired isn’t a sin. Resting isn’t slothful! I’m not wrong if I don’t do everything everyone expects of me. To prove this to myself, I took a nice nap Sunday with my child, and guess what? God didn’t zap me straight to hell! Instead, He blessed me with feeling rested and able to put the kids to bed that night with a smile rather than an exhausted sigh.

I recently read in a Christian book that the “7 deadly sins” are actually not in scripture and were created by religious leaders. “The Seven Deadly Sins, also known as the Capital Vices or Cardinal Sins, is a classification of objectionable vices that have been used since early Christian times to educate and instruct followers concerning fallen humanity’s tendency to sin.” (source: wiki) The word “sloth” is not even in scripture -yet many believe it is.

• Cindy says:

Sloth is not used, but slothful is on several occasions in the KJ version. Especially in Proverbs. The NIV uses lazy. The parable of the talents in Matthew is the one I beat myself up with too much! “His Lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant…” I have always thought(wrongly I now believe) that if I didn’t use my talents constantly (translated work work work) then I was being slothful. As a child, that term was used regularly by those I now understand to have been of the mindset that works get you into heaven rather than the blood of Christ and the grace of God. You are so right that humans are constantly defining sin rather than looking to God’s Word.

You’re right Cindy, its in the older KJV 17 times. Sometimes I forget to look in the old versions. I have a 100 year old KJ bible sitting right beside me- the print is so tiny I can’t read it! It’s from England, and my husband’s grandmother used it for her school lessons. With technology – searching scripture has become much easier. 🙂

• Jean says:

I still do not understand the parable of the talents – no matter how many times I read it I still see that the responsibility is on me to do “something” that I wouldn’t necessarily know I’m supposed to do… and thus not doing that “something”, I will somehow unknowingly solicit the anger or (unapproval) of God.

It would be interesting for you to read this in different translations Jean. Try using http://BibleGateway.com

• Victoria says:

That was one of my favorite parts of the week as well! I am always trying to stay busy thinking that if I stop then I am not being useful.
      I’m thankful that God wants us to rest and that we can find rest in Him! 🙂

• Jody says:

1.Complete this sentence: I am worn out because of my circumstances in life surrounding my relationship.
    2.How would you advise someone to live above the sun? To not let the “things” of life and the world get to you and focus all your energy on God.
    3.What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest? Refrain from all work, take a break from house hold chores and just focus on rest and relaxation and spending time with those close to you.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I was just thankful to identify my worn out. I am emotionally worn out. It was also good to look at my priorties and realign some things in life.

You don’t need to feel guilty if you read a book, play a game or watch a television show. Somewhere in time we “lost” our ability to rest and relax and replaced it with guilt and worry.

• Alyssa says:

I am thankful that I identified my worn out too! It feels kind of good doesn’t it? I agree with you that we should try to not let the things of life get us down. We tend to do everything ourselves and forget that God doesn’t want that for us–He’s right there to help 🙂

• Dona says:

I am worn out because….I feel like I need to be everything for everyone, but I only end up feeling like I’m failing everyone instead. I’m married with 3 kids and I try to do so much for them that I’m not spending time “with” them. I work full time as well and I’m so unmotivated and disengaged in my job because I’m always focused on my “to do” list for when the work day is over.

When Jesus was worn out from the crowds, He would seek time alone with God the Father. Start with just a few minutes each day- in prayer or in bible study- the more you do this, the more you’ll crave more of Him. 🙂

• Victoria says:

Oh Dona, your story sounds just like mine! I too work full time and I have a family similar to yours, a husband with 2 little ones. I am always trying to keep busy-cooking, cleaning, folding, putting away, working, etc, etc…
      I’m praying that true REST is in our very near future…and that (if you are like me) you won’t worry while you are resting! If I take a break, my head is normally just spinning because I can’t stop thinking of all that still has to be done!

You are not alone sister! 🙂

I know how you feel….I am worn out do to the fact I care for my husband 24/7, I am not complaning, just a fact…..he can help a little bit, and I am thankful for that. Kids are fun but tiring….if I was closer I would you out. Blessing.

Victoria and Donna my commet was met for both of you. Just read it and realize I did not put your names on it. Blessing again.

Not sure if it was in this study or somewhere else but one of Satan’s greatest tools is busyness. We live in a world where we run, run, run. I am a mom, work full time and have an additional part time job. Volunteer for different organizations, church work. Caring for myself through exercise… there never seems to be enough time in the day. Lately I have been just praying for God to show me HIs priorities. I still get stressed out but when my head hits the pillow at the end of the day I feel as though I am doing all that I can, and it is all for God. I am trying so very hard to put Him first, still not doing as well as I should but doing better. Don’t get your head down… you are making a difference in your day to day life, no matter how mundane it may seem! =)

• Wendy says:

I had a great moment this week when as I was reading, I accepted that feeling weary does not equal being weak!

• Julie says:

1. I am worn out because… my marriage and family is teetering on the edge of despair.

2. How would you advise someone to live above the sun?

Reading the Word, daily guiet time, “letting God, lettting go!” Giving all the glory to God, trust & be obedient.

3.What can you do to observe a regular Sabbath rest?

God tells us to rest from dead works such as my job, my chores and daily tasks. To rest in the Word of God and worship on the Sabbath every week.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

In this week’s study I realized that God does want me to rest, that I will find rest from my emotional stress and fatigue only in him. That I need to release my stress through reading scripture and being cleansed of my sin will refresh my soul over and over. Only through Him will I find rest.

• Lisa says:

Julie,

Thank you for posting your thoughts and struggles. I, too, struggle with “resting”. The fact that God commands us to rest should be enough for me, but I get caught up in society’s definition of womanhood all of the time. I’m trying to live for God and live “not of this world”. Thanks again for sharing.

• Keri says:

Julie!

Have hope dear friend!! I too struggle with resting… as many of us do. In Him we will find rest that He has promised and the rewards and blessings will be better than we EVER imagined!

• Sherri says:

I agree Julie that our souls constantly need refreshing…I make time for physical exercise pretty well, but I am lacking in the spiritual discipline of rest!!

I will be praying for you and your family Julie.

• Victoria says:

Julie, stopping to pray for your family and your marriage now. Rest is essential- I am learning that myself! I am praying that I learn to listen to God, and when He tells me it is time to stop and rest, whether it be a physical sleep-type rest or just a moment to breathe and pray, but I am trying to listen for His cue, His lead…
      Praying for you!

• Georgia says:

How would you advise someone to live above the sun? (page 14 )

I can answer this one because I have been struggling with it myself. Start every single day by counting your blessings and getting your mind wrapped around the good. I live with chronic illness and it becomes way too easy to get caught up in the dark and the pain and ignore the good and the blessed. If I start the day off by cataloging what God has done for me, then the focus for the day becomes “above” rather than “below”.

Georgia

• Alyssa says:

That is a really good point that you bring up. I was thinking the same thing about myself. It’s definitely easy to get caught up in what goes wrong day to day–to see only the negative things. That eventually leads you to miss the opportunities to see the good and we lose our focus on God and what he is trying to show us. I am sorry you are living with a chronic illness. I will pray for you. 🙂

• Shawn says:

It is so easy to just sit and think on the negative side. That type of thinking allows you to miss out on the enjoyment of life. I use to do that and now I can say that I am no longer that way. I made up in my mind that I will focus on things above. Just the other day, I rode over a tire weight as I was in the mall parking lot. It just so happened, it was Sears. It was on a Sunday afternoon and the automotive section was open. I asked the technician if he would look at my tire. He did and said that it may/may not be repairable. If it is repairable, it will cost $20 just to fix a flat, or I would have to get a tire. Before I knew it, my heart had got discouraged. Had a good time in church that morning and now my joy was turning to worry. Then that voice within me said “Stop”! It will be alright, I said a short prayer and did worry. To make a long story short, the tire was repairable and I did not have to pay the repair fee because it was their tire weight that was in the road. God is awesome. I learned that trials will come, but it is how we handle it the situation. Turning to God and giving it all to Him.