Brave Bible Study Week 6

By August 21, 2011Brave

We’ve finished our online bible study Brave by Angela Thomas and will begin three new studies next week. Please be sure to register for one of the new studies and get your book in time so you are able to join us again in online bible studies. Our Brave study ends with an examination of brokenness and how God ministers to our hearts in our deepest need. No matter the shame, no matter how deep the wound and how painful the hurt…God heals through His Son. He sent us a Savior redeemer to wipe away the tears, lift our faces behind shame veils, and mend our hearts. He is King and we are His Daughters. Please read Psalm 34 and remind yourself of God’s promises to all of His children.

If you struggle with the weight of shame or anger, you’ll want to join us in the Beth Moore study When Godly People do Ungodly Things. This six-week bible study is written in three parts. The first part is a warning to believers, while the second part shows women how to prepare for attacks by the Enemy. The third part is directed to those who have been snared by seduction, and compassionately points the way back to God.

If you struggle with overachieving and perfectionism, then you’ll want to join us in Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. This six-week bible study will examine the need to do everything perfectly vs the desire to rest at the feet of Jesus and know Him. We’ll look at the things of this world that keep our hearts busy and distracted, and the promises of intimacy with God. By the final week, we’ll find how to balance our lives to finish tasks and have room to sit in the living room with Christ.

Our third online bible study is The Gospel of Ruth and we dig into the lives of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz. In this book we discover that Naomi, the female Job, is the center of the story. According to the author, the story of Ruth is about how Boaz and Ruth “formed a glimpse of the Old Testament Blessed Alliance, as male and female partner in a holy cause, and both thrive as Yahweh’s image bearers.”  The story begins with Naomi’s suffering and ends with Naomi holding the future in her arms. It examines this question:  Is God good for women?

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer or a praise report. Before you leave, take some time and pray for someone’s need. Lift others up as God has lifted you up. Send up prayers for the Lord to hear and answer.

Angela Thomas Quotes

• God does not flinch away from broken women: He moves closer.
  • I’d rather be broken and close to God than whole and far away.
  • We will never get to a place where our character lacks room for improvement.
  • When it seems everything is falling apart, God’s hidden work always remains.
  • We who have been broken will be the praise of His glory!

1. Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 )
  2. When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131)
  3. How does this world keep reminding us of brokenness? (page 134 )
  4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?

• elaine marlow says:

i thank GOD for my husband michael and my dog tigger

1. Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 ) You care for use no matter what.
    4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes, I would recommend, doing this bible study to a friend. I believe that it would be a good reference material. It asks honest questions that make you think and care about you and everyone else. Lets you know that aren’t invisible to god. Lets you know that you can turn to god no matter what the circumstances are.

• Allison says:

1. Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 )

Praise God for allowing me the freedom to grow from my past mistakes rather than keeping me in a pattern of self-destructive behaviors.

2. When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131)

He sees me as a whole person rather than broken pieces of a life of shame and regret.

3. How does this world keep reminding us of brokenness? (page 134 )

We are a judgmental society. We listen to gossip or even spread gossip. We put too much emphasis on the negativity around us rather than focusing on the good in people. We can choose our words more carefully and model acceptance and tolerance by our example.

4. Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?

This Bible Study is applicable to anyone who just wants to reinforce God’s truths for us. The book is written in an easy-to-read format with just the right amount of verse look-ups and questions and answers. This was my third on-line study; I also plan to do another one. I feel Christine’s gift is to help people like me stay accountable and connected by commenting on our thoughts as we grow from these studies. Again, Christine, thank you for taking the time to moderate these studies.

• Carol says:

Hi Everyone, I am late because I was out-of-town.

Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 )
    You are the restorer of life giving strength and encouragement to the broken hearted.

When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131)
    We are radiant and never covered in shame.

How does this world keep reminding us of brokenness? (page 134 )
    I am learning it is better to have the Lordship of Christ in my life that the world. Christ has a different way of looking at things and handling situations in our lives. The world gives us a counterfeit life with all its trappings to be never satisfied or content. To be pretty enough or thin enough or rich enough or having a this or that to be happy…trappings of our flesh. I ashamed to say I spent way too much time trying to be perfect and making no mistakes…what a trap! This study opened my eyes to be more in tune with the Lord and that I am a work in progress and I am doing the best I can with God’s help. This is a daily reminder to me and saying to myself , “Less of me, more of thee” (John 3:30). It is not easy and a lot of times I do make mistakes, and grieve over the things that cannot be but I remember that He sees me and I am not invisible to Him. What a comfort! The last week, I was beating myself up because I am overcoming a stronghold in my life and I did it again. I asked for forgiveness and He forgave me. I saw a sign “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6). The Lord was encouraging and telling me to not listen to the world but to Him. He cares for the brokenhearted and meets us where we are. He can use it for the good. I desire to be in the word every day and excited what God is doing in my life because He is changing me for the better. God is placing broken people across my path and I feel humbled that He is using me to encourage and affirm them. I want to be used and God can use me in the smallest of things that is great.

Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes, definitely and I have learned so much from my second bible study on-line. Thank you so much ladies for all your comments and sharing of things that are happening in your lives. I have learned so much from all of you. It is nice to know that we are all in it together, supporting and affirming each other.

• Carol says:

I want to thank you, Christine for being so faithful to God’s calling and developing this web-site. I have enjoyed the bible studies and the book reviews, too. I am learning a lot and it is helping me. God Bless You!

• Laura says:

Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 )
    Praise be to God for seeing me and knowing me
    When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131) Radiant. This was a great section.

Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Definitely. This was my first and I really enjoyed it. I plan to do the Mary/Martha study and I’m glad the book is available digitally so I can always take it with me. I like the accountability as well as the connection with other women. Its a great reminder that there are others with some of the same issues I have, and that I can turn to God first.

Just a comment to Julie above…there are so many ways a family can be broken, and even though a family may seem perfect from the outside, it may not be perfect on the inside. I have two close friends who are in a terrible marriages, but one would never know from the outside how bad things are. People have a way of covering those hardships. My heart goes out to you and I hope you find healing.

1. Praise God I find my strength under the wings of God!!
    2. He sees me as a strong, imperfect woman who is doing her best!
    3. The media tells us that we have to be blonde, thin, and what is commonly accepted to be beautiful to be loved. I am not blonde, thin or beautiful, but he looks beyond the outside to see my heart and know I am working so hard to be the woman He meant me to be.
    4. This study and the Duty or Delight have changed my life this summer. I started out with a broken heart and ended up feeling strong, and loved and free. I feel more at peace now than I have years even though I am still mourning the loss of my wonderful mother. Thanks and Gold Bless all of you!

1. Thank you Lord for helping me with my brokenness, I praise you for this.

2. Unashamed and almost whole again.

3. Through TV, advertisement……..seeing what other have gone through and made it.

4. Yes, to my sister……I “said to her you sure did miss a good study”

• Jean says:

1. A psalm: Praise God for His Goodness to me! Praise God for “HE SEES” when no one else does!
    2, – God sees me “radiant and unashamed”!
    3. – The world keeps reminding me of my brokenness by my seeing other relationships look like ones I would like to have or like ones I had that I lost along the way…. This may be why God tells us not to compare ourselves with others – things are not always as they “appear”… but yet it is difficult not to do that.
    4. – Oh, yes, highly recommend this study and biblecafe. I also have already recommended this to a friend. It is a great place to take a study when time is limited. It is also a great place to connect with other women and support one another in our faith. Being connected here has made me feel less alone. I am grateful to have found biblecafe and I sincerely thank you for putting this together. What a tremendous blessing it has been. I will definitely do another study!

1.Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 )
    Praise be to God our deliverer.
    2.When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131)
    Radiant and unashamed.
    3.How does this world keep reminding us of brokenness? (page 134 )
    Through advertisement and entertainment. But many have the same concerns that we have and their lives are not as perfect as projected. They aren’t as together as they appear. I don’t feel so isolated as I did prior to starting this study. I am so thankful that God is close to the brokenhearted.
    4.Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes I would. This is my second study also and this also fits well in my schedule. I’ve learned so much in both studies. I signed up for the Gospel of Ruth study but I’m thinking about also taking Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. I try to be a perfectionist in some areas of my life and fall short which starts the whole negativity cycle. I am making improvements but it’s a work in progress.

• Robin says:

2.When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131)

Before this Bible Study, God saw a broken woman who was shy with no self confidence and no self worth. As I read this book, I gained a little every day. I’m coming out of my shell a little every day. I no longer feel invisible because I know He sees me and hears me. I have become a little less worn out because I have learned that everyone needs to rest every once in a while. Even the Lord rested on the seventh day, so it’s okay if I don’t finish something today. I don’t stress over it anymore. I’ve learned to give myself a break and not be so hard on myself. I’ve learned to acknowledge my problems and give them to God. There are things I can not fix on my own.
    Today, on this final day of this Bible Study, God now sees someone a little less broken, a little stronger, a little more calm and collected and a lot less frazzled. He sees someone who will speak up and no longer will try her hardest to blend into the woodwork. He sees someone who saw a job she wanted and went for it. Someone who had enough self confidence to sell herself at the interviews for that job and enough self worth to realize that I do deserve it. Yes, I still have a few cracks, and throwing things at me to juggle still makes me stumble. But this week, as I wait to hear if I got this job, I know that I don’t need to stress myself. Just knowing that I’m going out there and trying is a HUGE accomplishment for me.

Robin, you will really enjoy the bible study on Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. It helps take away the need to be busy like Martha and balance it with intimacy with Jesus. I hope you’ll join us…it would be beneficial for you!

• Julie says:

1.Write a one-line psalm of praise to God. (page 130 )
    Praise you Lord for heaing my brokeness.
    2.When you look to God, how does He see you? (page 131)
    God sees my face as radiant and not covered with shame.
    3.How does this world keep reminding us of brokenness? (page 134 )
    I continue to see families that seem perfect and mine is broken. Family pictures, holiday planning and my family is broken.
    4.Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
    This is my second on-line bible study and I absolutely love it. It works into my life perfectly and I enjoy it so much. I have shared the women’s bible cafe with several of my friends and hope they join me on one of the next ones.