Welcome back to summer online bible study as we discuss week four from Duty or Delight by Tammie Head. During our week long bible study, we read about repentance, pruning, and sowing to please and the Holy Spirit. Tammie really dug deep into our hearts as we examined scripture verses and applied them to our present lives. This chapter was filled with so many great thoughts, I hope anyone who is thinking about doing this study at church or alone, will order a copy of the book. It’s that good!
On page 98 in the workbook, Tammie Head reminds us of these truths:
- Sin resists, but repentance yields.
- Sin numbs, but repentance wakes.
- Sin separates, but repentance restores.
- Sin turns, but repentance faces.
- Sin is duty, but repentance is delight.
If you are not already standing in these truths, get connected with the Holy Spirit and allow Him to lead you. Set yourself apart from a life of sin and shame and regret and guilt, by embracing the love of Jesus from arms stretched across a wooden cross. Read the Consecration Prayer authored by Tammie Head on page 101-102 of your workbook. Better yet, print the prayer and make reading it a daily practice. Allow today to be the proper time for God’s correction, and His resulting beauty to be revealed in a harvest of spiritual fruit. Tammie writes “Repentance isn’t ‘I’m sorry, I got caught.’ It’s a ‘I’m totally undone here. Please, Lord, forgive me, wash me and make me new.’ “
If you are a new believer and Tammie’s words have inspired a change inside you as you feel pulled into the arms of a loving Christ, get connected. Contact your pastor, local church, Christian counselor or even a Christian friend and begin a discussion about what you are learning and where God is leading you. Grab onto the power of the Holy Spirit…and let Him direct your steps (Psalm119:133) through the narrow gate.
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matt 7:14 NIV
Our Prayer Wall is a place where you can post a prayer or praise report. Please visit the page and while you are there take a moment and send up prayers for someone else in need.
Tammie Head Quotes
- If we stay in tune with the Spirit, He will lead us in every way.
- Pruning narrows our focus and strengthens the quality of our fruit.
- Repentance destroys the devil’s work
- Sin never gets better. You can’t manage it, wish it away, or pretend its not there.
- The devil loves to upsize our problems and downsize our God.
- If we live lives that please God’s Spirit, then He shares more of His life with us.
- Nowhere does the bible promise us health, wealth and pain-free living.
For Next Week
- Read Week Five in the workbook
- Watch the Duty or Delight Videos (Look under Support Materials at bottom of page)
- Join our new bible studies which are begin in August 29, 2011
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Describe a time when you wish you had relied more on the Holy Spirit for leadership. (page 86 )
- What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin? (page 104 )
- Think of a painful time when you saw God’s peace and righteousness in the midst of hardship. What did you learn? (page 105 )
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.