Duty or Delight Bible Study Week 6

Welcome back to online bible study as we finish our study of Duty or Delight by Tammie Head. We ended the study with a bang…as Tammie confronts the truth behind spiritual warfare and encourages us to claim our victory. It is a delight knowing God has secured our victory and all we need to do is equip ourselves for the battle. Tammie writes “If you’re getting more serious about following Jesus Christ, then Satan is more serious about watching your every move.” When this happens to you, do not run in fear or fall to temptation…look UP…and know that God is near. The fact that Satan is now interested in your heart shows how valuable you’ve become to God’s heart. When we recognize it and have the tools Tammie mentions to overcome it…God continues to open more doors and a deeper relationship with Him. Spiritual warfare means you’re treading on the enemy ground and he dislikes you, especially when Jesus is revealed in you. Rebuke the devil with scripture, claim your spiritual territory and do not fear the enemy. Know when he’s present and know how to shorten the duration of his lies, temptations and other tactics. If you don’t know what they are, you will not know how to fight them. “Our job is to prayerfully live from our new identities by standing secure in Christ,” writes Tammie. Be sure to print a copy of page 150 and read your rights until you have them memorized.

On page 133 in the book Tammie recommends three books on spiritual warfare. We’ve studied The Invisible War by Chip Ingram here at the Womens Bible Cafe and it was a very powerful study. Our new study by Beth Moore called When Godly People Do Ungodly Things is an in-depth look at enemy schemes: how they affect our past and present lives, and how to protect ourselves against future attacks. I highly recommend it and hope you’ll join us in another six-week online bible study.

Visit the Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or a praise report. We look forward to lifting your name up to the Lord in prayer.

Tammie Head Quotes

• Spiritual warfare isn’t a metaphor; it’s a reality.
  • Satan cannot attack us without permission.
  • The Devil is furious that his time is short.
  • We cannot truly resist Satan if our walk doesn’t match our talk.
  • The shield of faith completely snuffs out the fire of the enemy.

1. How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? (page 137 )
  2. What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? (page 138 )
  3. How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God?
  4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

• Carin says:

Even though I am way behind on this study. I needed this right where I was at. God is good!

1.How do you know when the Devil is attacking you?
    When my feelings are not the fruits of the spirit. My biggest attacks are worry and fear. Lately, the enemy has been sneaking up on my & triggering parts of me that anger me. Definitely, not fruits of the spirit.

2.What do you do when you’re feeling attacked?
    I sometimes stress loudly my frustration. Mostly at my husband. I constantly say “what if”…Something that needs to change. I appreciate that this study has pointed this out to me.

How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God?
    It should never feel like duty to read God’s word. I know if I have missed a day or two that I need God’s word in my mind & heart. It only takes a few days and I see and feel a different side of me. This part of the study reminded me how real the enemy is. Lately, he has been sneaking up behind me.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
    I would recommend it to someone that has been a Christian for awhile. I am not sure it is something for a new believer.

• Allison says:

1. How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? (page 137 )

Satan’s forces are attacking us all the time. The enemy will stop at nothing to put doubt in our minds. The devil continues to creep into our thoughts. Tammy’s paragraph with the list of feelings: worthlessness, hopelessness, fear, discouragement, insecurity, temptation, anger, self doubt, humiliation, shame, etc. WOW! Questioning the reality of our faith, or the love and care of God, feelings consumed with self….I didn’t realize these were attacks. By always knowing this and remembering that God is always nearby. we can beat the devil.

4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

As you can see, I’m late in posting my comments. I hadn’t finished reading the last session. I was procrastinating to the point where I even decided not to finish the study and I would just start back up on the next study. That was earlier today…now after completing the study, I’m convinced that I was being “attacked.” I am new to the spiritual warfare concept. I guess I just go around thinking my shortcomings, failures, etc. are all my fault brought on by my own doing. There must be some kind of fine line between accountability, accepting the consequences for our choices and being attacked. I am learning so much from these online Bible studies, from the comments of other participants, from the Bible, and from Christine’s moderating. These studies are all I have right now…looking forward to the Beth Moore Study. (I just ordered the book today, so yes, I will be behind on that one too…more procrastinating.)

I did not realize these were enemy attacks until bible study. The more I learn, the more prepared I am for the spiritual battle. Congratulations on finishing to the end Allison. 🙂

• Bree says:

2. What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? (page 138)

The first thing I do is rehearse scripture that I’ve memorized. I have a select set of scripture set aside when I’m being attacked. These passages have been a great source of comfort and peace to me during very difficult times.
    • (2 Corinthians 10:3-5) For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    • (Philippians 4:6-7) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    • (Psalm 46:1) God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
    Then the second thing that I do is pray and journal. I write down everything I’m experiencing and the act of writing allows me to pour my heart out on paper and then I can slow down and focus my prayers on God.

• Sheree says:

The devil attacks me if I let my spirit become low, and then I get that depressed kind of feeling. That’s the enemy’s way in. I have found that I have to be armed with the “Sword of the Spirit” daily to ward off the devil. God’s Word really works….if for some reason I miss my quiet time in the morning, I take my Bible and Bible study with me to work and pour over God’s Word on my lunch hour. Our thought processes can betray us too, so when I feel my thoughts drifting on something negative…that’s fuel for the enemy to find his way in for an attack. It’s at that time that I meditate on Scipture verses to get my thoughts turned around. I would definitely recommend this Bible study to a friend, because it is a thorough Bible study of knowing how and where we stand with God and that we can ve victorious when we encounter attacks from the enemy even in the midst of a trial or circumstances in our lives. Everyone needs to know how to arm themselves to live victorious lives. It’s not easy, but God works!! I have thoroughly enjoyed this Bible study. “See” y’all in the next week’s Bible study “When Godly People do Ungodly Things.”

• Debby says:

How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? (page 137 ) I can’t say that I’m always sure the Devil is attacking. But it is usually when I am the closest to God and the Devil is trying to break the communication. I start questioning everything. Maybe I was supposed to do something different.

What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? (page 138 ) I pray more. Talk to God more. I find that when I can push the Devil aside and not listen, I can stay on track with my relationship with God.

How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God? I am so much more at ease with just building my relationship. I don’t feel like I have to do a script in order to have God love me. I think the part that impressed me most is that God ‘chose me’. I have taken that to heart and look to Him as a parent who does want the best for me.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes, I think others need to get out of the have to’s. It should be a joy to spend time with God.

I have learned to push the devil aside and not get angry or threatened any more. My friends have modeled this for me and I see that they do it in peace, the same way Jesus did. I’ve learned by example. I’m not fully there yet -however I am feeling more confident in the matter.

• Laura says:

1.How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? (page 137 ) One of the primary tatics the enemy uses on me is discouragement. When I feeling discuraged and/or start to isolate, I am getting much better at recognizing this is an assult from the enemy.
    2.What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? (page 138 ) I find that praying scripture and listening to praise music pack a effective double punch right at the enemy. When I start to feel discouraged I know I need to draw near to God and the devil must flee! I make it a practice to put on my spiritual armor every morning so I am armed and ready when the attacks come.
    3.How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God? As I have gone through this study and earnestly asked the Lord to give me a deeper and insaitable love for Jesus, He has been answering my prayer. I just love Him and when I give Him the firstfruits of my day, God blesses that and He lifts me up causing me to want even more of Him.
    4.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? I actually did tell someone about it this weekend so yes, I would. You just cannot spend time in God’s Word and not be changed for the better. I also would like to extend a sincere thank you to you Christine for this forum and providing these online studies. You have blessed me and I thank you. Praying our Lord will richly bless you a hundred fold for your wllingness to serve us and give to us. Thank you and many blessings to you!

1. When the Devil is attacking me I find I am never satisfied. Nothing seems to be enough. I am depressed or angry of a combination of both. Seems like I am driven to satisfy a craving for something that is bad for me.
    2. I start praying and make a list of my blessings. I intentionally look for those who are in far worse shape than I am yet are holding up their heads and smiling . I look back to where I was in the past and am grateful for how far I have come, and I start to feel calmer and realize what it is that is happening to me.
    3. I am knowing the peace that comes from finding my delight in God. I find myself talking to Him throughout the day and enjoying it more all the time. God has become more important to me and every day seems to be more intertwined in my being. Thank you Tammie for the gift you have given me in the study and by helping me to reconnect with my Savior!

1. I know when the Devil is attacking me when I start to lose my temper and my anger flares up again. Also when my husband and I start fighting more. I also know that I get more agitated.

2. I run away , go to the Lord or get busy.

3. I feel as if I do not have to spend time with God, I now choose to do it……….mean I no longer dread the time I spend with Him.

4. Yes, I have recommended this study to my sister. This study changed my out look on a lot of things it is life changing.

1. How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? (page 137)
    I know I’m being attacked when I feel worthless and ashamed or am easily angered and agitated.

2. What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? (page 138)
    When I’m feeling attacked I either isolate or busy myself.

3. How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God?
    I no longer dread or feel like I have to spend time with or interact with God, now I want to and am very excited about spending time and interacting with Him.

4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Without a doubt I would recommend this bible study. The material in this study is life changing.

• Monica, NY says:

1.) & 2). I feel easily angered & agitated. I’ll usually isolate when I’m feeling attacked which is the worst thing I can do. It’s like Tammie said about oppression “like trying to operate in the mud”. A verse that has helped me when I’m feeling discouraged is Psalm 34:18″The Lord is NEAR the brokenhearted; He delivers those who are discouraged” It’s in these times I’m learning to Trust He is near & to seek His Face. I Loved what you said Christine, that the fact Satan is interested in our hearts shows how valuable we’ve become to God’s heart! Our victory in Christ does have everything to do with identifying ourselves with the Victorious One. Loved pg 132 that Paul didn’t seek to convince his readers a battle was raging. He insisted they handle it like victorious soldiers, referring to Ephesians 6, We need to put on the armor daily. As His children, we’ve been given the authority to Stand against satan & his tactics. I’m learning how to stand & resist the devil… James 4:7

3.) & 4) It’s moving to Delight because I’m learning what happens when we obey the Lord & receiving the Joy He brings to my heart. I would recommend this awesome study on Eph. 1 to anyone who wants to know where they Stand with God! My absolute FAVE part of this study was pg. 136. out of Luke 10:21-24 @ just the sweetness of Jesus being full of Joy of the Holy Spirit, because His disciples were getting it! Even though like Tammie said, He had to remind them to keep their perspective as to why they were rejoicing. Luke 10:19-20

Thx. all you wise women of the Lord! I’ve enjoyed so much this study with you all & have learned from all you. I’m grateful for Tammie Head & Christine & pray blessings over them today! Thank-you Tammie & Love You too Sister! I agree it totally boils down to Trust!

1 Peter 1:13 <3

• Amanda says:

1. I get anxious, I feel discouraged, I question if I’m *really* saved, I feel extreme regret and shame over past sins that I know I’ve asked forgiveness for.
    2. Lately I’ve been more apt to pray.
    3. I feel like I *want* to go pray instead of feeling like I need to or should. I want to please God and show how grateful I am of all of the undeserved blessings in my life.
    4. I would recommend it. I love the down to earth, easy to understand way she writes. I feel like I related to the material, especially the spiritual warfare section.

• Jessica says:

1) I feel worthless and ashamed when the Devil is attacking me. During this time, I usually call myself names and act like there is no hope.
    2) When I’m feeling attacked, I usually get down on myself. Other times, I isolate myself.
    3) Understanding what I need to resist Satan’s attacks, knowing I am light in the Lord and about His great love for me
    4) I would absolutely recommend this study to a friend who feels like she has to prove herself to God and that she has to do certain things to make God love her.

• Carolyn says:

How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? (page 137 )
    Feelings of anxiousness and disruption.
    What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? (page 138 )
    Busy myself and cry out to the Lord.
    How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God?
    I’ve realized I don’t have to fight for God’s blessings, I already have them. Rather, I will fight against the enemy from a place of faith, grace, peace and redemption.
    Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

• Cindy H says:

How do you know when the Devil is attacking you? One of the tactics that is used on me is discouragement.
    What do you do when you’re feeling attacked? The last month has been particularly discouraging, so I have been walking with my dog and listening to praise music. A friend stopped me on the street one day and told me that I was going to walk those legs off that dog!
    How is your relationship moving from duty to delight with God? The reason I started this study was the title. I truly want to serve God out of delight rather than duty. I think I am further down the road. 🙂 That would be one reason that I would recommend this study to a friend.