9/11 Remembrance Wall 10 Years Later

By September 9, 2011Misc

Please post a comment on this remembrance wall in memory of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 in the United States.

Post your name, where you are from, and leave a comment on the remembrance wall. Some ideas include:

1. What do you remember doing just before the 9/11 attacks?
  2. What do you remember most about the 9/11 attacks?
  3. How do you feel 10 years later?
  4. What are you doing on Sept. 11, 2011 for Patriot Day?
  5. Post a prayer or scripture verse.

He heals the heartbroken
and bandages their wounds.
He counts the stars
and assigns each a name.
Our Lord is great, with limitless strength;
we’ll never comprehend what he knows and does.
God puts the fallen on their feet again
and pushes the wicked into the ditch.  Psalm 147:2-6 Message

• Sandy says:

I remember it like it was yesterday, I was at home cleaning my house when a friend called and asked if I had seen it on tv. I had the radio on and not watching tv. It was so terrible.

• Sherry Vioral says:

As we think back on the 9/11 attacks today and in the future, may our sorrow and mourning point us back to the glorious hope of Jesus Christ, and the Restoration He Promises.

• Cindy says:

‎Ten years ago, a fellow teacher knocked on my classroom door (Nashville, TN) and whispered we were under attack. He said there were still planes in the air. I silently prayed (in a school) and taught as though nothing was wrong, but was crying on the inside for our country. I went to office on my planning period, and stood with about 20 faculty members around the TV watching the coverage in shock.

• Sally says:

Sally Orwig Tampa Bay Florida. I remember standing in front of the television wondering what was happening. I remember seeing people jump out of the twin tower windows to their deaths. I remember going to work the next day, and hearing that our company TJX lost 7 buyers who were on the first plane. I remember seeing the pictures of President Bush sitting in a Sarasota 2nd grade classroom, having the children reading to him. And thinking how are they going to get him out of Florida???? Where will he go?? I remember standing and praying for the President and those in Washington on how they were going to handle all this. I pray now for those 7 TJX buyers that we lost in our company, and for those in the Army, Navy Airforce and Marines and Coastguard, and National Guard who daily fight for our freedom. I pray for my sister in law’s son right now as he gets ready to graduate Army basic training and go to Arizona to learn how to fly the unmanned drone planes, anywhere in the world.

• Veronica says:

Right after 9/11, I remember my ex-husaband telling me that nothing in this world matters but just the two of us and our safety & wellness. Well when things went back to normal and I got sick and he left. Guess I really don’t know what to really believe in anymore. I pray for the Peace of God for each and every person. That is all any of us have. Even me I guess.

• Regina says:

I will never forget. God Bless America.

• Kathleen says:

An impromptu visit to the twin towers at sunset (when the lights were coming on) had been one of the high lights of my visit to New York while in college.
    On Sept. 11, I was substitute teaching for a teacher going to New York City for a conference. People would come in to ask about her and I assured them that, having left that morning from Dallas, she was no where near New York but probably sitting on the ground at some mid-western airport (her airplane actually got to return to Dallas). Students could go to the gym and watch the CNN reports, but by the end of the most where attending classes in normal manner.
    When I got home and watched the news, my young daughter that showed she had no idea that the people jumping from windows were jumping to a sure death – then the shock hit. The towers were magnificent, and now they were wreckage and a giant tomb. I could have directed anger against those than executed the attacks, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking that as a nation we had become proud and forgotten God: He had removed his protection as a warning that should not be ignored.
    Isaiah 51:12-13 12
    I, even I, am he who comforts you.
    Who are you that you fear mere mortals,
    human beings who are but grass,
    13 that you forget the LORD your Maker,
    who stretches out the heavens
    and who lays the foundations of the earth,
    that you live in constant terror every day
    because of the wrath of the oppressor,
    who is bent on destruction?
    For where is the wrath of the oppressor?

• Linda says:

I turned on my tv for the morning new and weather before going off to work just like any other day. I thought my clock was wrong because the wrong voices were reporting the news. As I began to listen I was shocked. I work up my son, called my daughters just because I needed to hear their voices. As the story began to unfold, I realized it was 9AM in NYC. It was 7AM where I was. How many people were in those buildings working like I was preparing to doing? What was going on in our world? Then I began to pray an continuous praryer to spare all that could be spared and to protect all those trying to help. It was an unconscious stream of praryers as the day wore on and we heard so many stories of bravery, love and commitment to all the people in all 4 locations. I pray for peace and the freedom we have to reign in our lives.

• Louella says:

I was at work and was not near a TV. When some of my co-workers came in and told me about the first towr being hit, I went and looked at a TV. I was watching when the plane hit the second tower. I felt so terrible for the people trapped, I could imagine their fear and feelings of hopelessness. This was truly an act of war against us. I pray for the firemen and rescue workers who gave their lives to save others and think of Jesus.I hope that God will comfort all who are impacted this anniversary and hope that we never forget what happened.

• Shelly says:

I remember watching the plane going into the second tower and asking my co-worker if what I saw was real.
    It was hard to believe my eyes and when I finally grasped what was going on, I was horrified and felt so bad for all those innocent people who died needlessly. Watching it again 10 years later I feel the same as I did that day. My heart goes out to all of those people who lost a family member, and/or friend that day. God bless all of them with peace and love.

• Nancy says:

I heard the news of the first plane hitting the first tower while sitting in traffic heading to seminary. The report said that it was not unusual for small planes to sometimes hit buildings. By the time I got to the seminary, it was made clear that 1. it wasn’t a small plane, 2. it was not an accident, 3. a second plane had been flown into the other tower, and 4. we were under attack. The mood was very somber that day. One of the professors had a TV on in her office. I later posted an online prayer for us all.

• Caroll says:

Caroll from Oklahoma (just moved to Chicago for next 4 years)
    1.What do you remember doing just before the 9/11 attacks? I had just gotten out of the shower (and had a tv in our bathroom so saw when the alert came across the news that there were some flights that went off their flight path…and all I could think was my sister was on duty for American and she was flying from Dulles that morning. I called her and all my friends I knew on the east coast to wake them up and have them check their families in NYC. I was glued to the tv when they brought the whole American airline fleet down and got George Bush out of a school he was speaking and put him in the air…it was all so scarey and so real. I watched Katie Couric report the news while in the background I saw the 2nd flight hit the tower of which even she seemed oblivious and it took the news a several minutes to report after it had played out live. I was overcome with sheer shock and great sadness and I remember praying and begging for this all to end because at that point we had no idea what was happening in all parts of the country. It was a dreadful helpless, painful feeling in that moment and the days to come.
    3.How do you feel 10 years later? Sad Sad Sad and do not understand why anyone would choose to be a terrorist and agree to kill and do harm.
    4.What are you doing on Sept. 11, 2011 for Patriot Day? Church and quiet time at home with my husband.
    5.Post a prayer or scripture verse. Psalm 107:19 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.

• Dawn says:

Dawn from London, England,

I remember someones husband called and told us to switch on the tvs in the office. Disbelief – then tears. Our church held a service that evening, I think the church had never been so full.

Now Praying for all those still hurting. May God give them His peace.

• Esther says:

I was in bed and tirned the tv on as I usually do when I awake, I could not believe what I was seeing.

How do you feel 10 years later?

Very sad still for what happened to all those innocent people and their familes, but the worse for me today is the memorial the muslims want to erect acrooss the street from the site. That is like a slap in the face and very disrespectful. I know there are muslims here that had nothing to do with it, but how can they even think of doing such a thing in light of what happened.

• Trudy says:

I’m from SD. One of my children called to tell me, so I turned on the TV. I remember the mixture of emotions – stunned and numb as I tried to grasp it, horrified that someone would be so heartless as to destroy so many people, humbled and grateful for the lives of my loved ones, and heartbroken for all those who were suffering. I cried and prayed for lives, families, rescue workers, and America.

Sometimes it’s difficult to understand why God didn’t stop this evil, but I know He has such wise reasons for everything. In all troubles in this life, we may find hope in God’s promise: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

• Patti says:

Being born and raised in New York and now living in Indiana, it was horrifying to watch this event on TV. I’ve been back twice in the last 10 years to see Ground Zero and both times it was a very emotional experience. I am looking forward to the local memorial here in Indianapolis that includes a beam from the towers.

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
    Deuteronomy 31:5-7

• e.c. says:

I was watching tv when the planes first hit. I thought it was a joke at first.I later received a call from a guy trying to call his mother who worked in tower 1 but called mynumber by accident. He had the area code wrong. We kept in touch over the years. He worked in a jewelry store in san francisco where 6 years later we bought our wedding bands from him.

• Robin Stewart says:

My heart goes out to all those who lost there lives and to the families they left behind
    May the peace of god be with all.I can rememeber watching this and thinking what a tradegy
    and how can people do these things with no remorse and I also remember how so many reached out to help in the after effects.10 years later I am saddened still of this loss but I do pray more for the world

• Carol says:

I am from Central California. When I was living in Southern California, I was getting ready for work and it was my second day on my new job promotion. I was running late and getting dressed…one of my co-workers and called me to tell me to turn on the TV. I told her I didn’t want to be late and I would look at the TV at work which in my spirit I knew something had happened that was horribly wrong. I got to work and everyone on the second floor had either had their computers or radios on to the news. People were talking about what had happened and were stunned and crying. You could hear breaking news of the horrible events that were going on and I just prayed to the Lord. I remember calling my husband to say “I love you.” What I remember the most on that day was seeing my co-workers from all walks of life in a big circle and holding hands and a lady leading them in prayer to the Lord for our nation and the people who were affected by this tragedy. I silently prayed with them, too. Tonight, I watched a special segment on 911 by Tom Brokaw and it still brings tears to my eyes and I feel for the familes who have lost love ones. There were times I couldn’t watch it because it brought too many sad memories to my mind. We are planning to be out-of-town and I am attaching an American Flag to our truck antennae in memory of all people who have fallen in 911 and including safety personnel and first responders, survivors, familes who lost loved ones, military personnel around the world and their familes, too. Read Psalm 23.

• Debbie says:

I am from Montesano, WA. I had just woke up and was catching some news before going to work. I turned the TV on just as the second plane hit the buildings. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It cut through every bone of my body such a sense of fear. Now 10 years later I feel we are a more unified country then ever before. We are planning a special tribute service at church to honor all first responders and military. We have invited local police, sheriff, firefighters, and military personnel, the children will sing America The Beautiful, we have gifts to show our appreciation for all these fine men and women do to allow freedom to continue to ring in our country and to keep us safe every day.

Christine Smith, California Bay Area. I was 9 months pregnant, my husband was recovering from a life-threatening illness, and my 2 year old nephew was just diagnosed with juvenile diabetes.Watching thousands of people die before me on live television will be forever imprinted in my mind. I did not carry Jesus in my heart and was very frightened and depressed. After the attacks, I remember the complete silence as all air traffic was halted for days. I looked at my neighbors and saw a common thread- united as Americans. I looked to God and became passionate about knowing Him. Ten years later, I cannot look at the images of the mass killing of Americans, without crying. I drive by the office where Tom Burnett worked and each year on the anniversary of 9/11 the front lawn is covered in American flags. I’ll never forget the lives of those who were murdered by lunatics.

• Sue Shelton says:

Remembering those who tragically lost their lives on 9/11, praying for families who endured the heartache. Recognizing that community & country were shattered and the world stunned. I’m sorry America