Gospel of Ruth Bible Study Week 6

We’ve just finished reading  The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James. Congratulations on your perseverance in completing this six-week online bible study. We started the journey with two widowed women and closed the journey with a redeemed family and restored lives. Boaz steps up as a man of God and the result is a blessing beyond belief. He is not threatened by Ruth’s courage, and rewards her again. First he rewards her with food from her work, and then he rewards her for being brave enough to seek a kinsman-redeemer. The simple act reminds us that we too can demonstrate the courage to rise above our past, rise above our circumstances and seek Jesus our Redeemer. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9 NIV Ruth was courageous and “the story becomes about what Ruth and Boaz are getting, not what they are giving up,” writes Carolyn. Today we often use the phrase “it was a God thing” to describe something so unusual, so amazing, that God’s presence is very visible. When Ruth walked into Boaz’s field and he noticed her, “it was a God thing.” Together, these two people demonstrate a Blessed Alliance, male and female, working together for God’s Kingdom and purpose. The story ends with Naomi holding the future in her arms. Two widows, a barren woman, and the future resting peacefully in Naomi’s arms. God is good!

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Carolyn Custis James Quotes

• Naomi becomes an accomplice in her own depreciation.
  • Everyone wins when courage fills a woman’s soul.
  • It was all uphill for Ruth.
  • Naomi has gained wisdom in the school of suffering.

1. How are Boaz and Ruth role models for how men and women are supposed to serve God together? (page 189 )
  2. How can you live more courageously for God? (page 210)
  3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
  4. Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not.

I am late posting this as I am settling in my new home in South Carolina. Ruth has always been my favorite female in the Bible. She personifies strength, hope, and determination. I have looked to her when I felt like giving up. It was always a renewal of faith for me to remember how God worked through her to save us all. I have gained strength and been revived though this study. I look forward to our next study. Thanks Christine for keeping us all on track. My prayers are with you and all my fellow followers of God’s word.

• Deborah H. Bateman says:

Thanks for sharing these Bible Studies on The Book of Ruth. I am publishing an e-Book called “The Book of Ruth-A Story of Love and Redemption”. I love your site and love the idea of doing Bible Study with Beth Moore. She is one of my favorite people to do Bible Studies with. May God bless you!

• Lisa says:

Sadly, I must admit I am a bit behind. So I will not answer the qustions this week. I will finish up the book this week before we start Loving Well 🙂

Would I recommend the book? I already have to a few people. I think this book takes such a different view on the book of Ruth that everyone would benefit from reading it. I loved how James stretched our thinking beyond the box, and then stretched it some more. I also really enjoy a book where the author does not pretend to know all the answers and is willing to show you how he or she journeyed through the lesson being taught. I think this book would relate to just about anyone, and it really opened my eyes on a few subjects.

Thank you ladies for your insights, words, and wisdom. It was a pleasure to participate my very first on-line study with you all.

1. Boaz supported Ruth and her plans. So this way they together served God.

2. I need to show people around me my Love for God, in my deeds and the way I live my life. He has done so much for me.

4. Yes, I would recommend this book to a friend, as it brought to me a new light on the Book of Ruth.

As always thanks Christine for all you do. See you at “Loving Well”

• Stephanie says:

3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. “Everyone wins when courage fills a woman’s soul.” (p. 194) “The dark night of the soul is an awful place to be, but that’s where God trains his best warriors.: (p. 205). These two statements sum up the whole book of Ruth for me and are something we should all remember to help us keep the faith when things seem bleak!
    4.Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not. Most definitely ! My best friend has been dying for me to finish so she could get the book! I have never studied Ruth before and this book showed me that there is so much more to the story that you catch at first glance!

• Joni says:

They both did for others, never thinking of themselves and their rewards.

2.How can you live more courageously for God? (page 210)
    I think by putting trust in God, but also doing our part. There is a very fine line there for me. An example in my life is that I felt God encouraging me to submit my book for publication. When the book wasn’t selling the way I would like, I told an Aunt that I needed to sit back and wait on God. She replied that maybe God was waiting on me.

3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I liked the part that said God does not see us as male or female. We are all special.

4.Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not.
    I would recommend this book, because I found myself walking around talking to myself and reflecting on the story and its meaning. I was watching a talk show and they were interviewing the woman who wrote a bookk about what she learned in life from romance novels. I found myself comparing her answers to Ruth and Boaz. Her answer about one question was to take what you have and turn it around to make yourself happy. I thought how both Ruth and Boaz did what was best for others, and that in turn, brought then the reward of happiness for all.

• Lita says:

While I didn’t make comments each week this was a very fulfilling study. I have seen an entirely different Ruth with the guidance of the book we read and study, along with the comments from each of you. I have recommended this book to 2 friends. One is a recent widow and the other, like me, have dealt with the solitary life much longer. My hope and prayer are that they will gain strength and courage from the book as well as the study, as I printed it out each week and kept it to review. In my church there are so many like Ruth. I hope they can read this book and take note of what God can do for those who focus on Him rather than the introspection that so ofter happens. I look forward to future studies.

1.How are Boaz and Ruth role models for how men and women are supposed to serve God together? (page 189 ) Boaz supported and promoted Ruth’s plans and together they pursued the spirit of God’s law (“save the family”). We are to work together as allies to fulfill the work God has placed on our hearts to do.
    2.How can you live more courageously for God? (page 210) Ths sacrifice Ruth made is amazing. To be the surrogate for her mother-in-law, Naomi, and to let Naomi raise Obed – such faith and strength. Ruth was living out God’s plan. I need to be more self-sacrificing in showing God’s love. I need to step out of my comfort zone more and help those around me and I’m asking for God’s guidance for direction.
    3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Pg 205 “The birth of Obed is a picture of the gospel – suffering and sacrifice, the joy of renewed life, and hope for the future all mingled together. This is the Gospel of Ruth.” God changes lives and I know He is changing mine.
    4.Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not. Definitely would recommend. I had read the Book of Ruth several times but it must have only been words to me. I must not have comprehended what was happening. I really enjoyed how the impact of Naomi’s, Ruth’s and Boaz’s actions unfolded and were explained based on their culture. I also enjoyed the additional information provided in the footnotes. Christine, your minisiter was correct in recommending this book. This will be one that I will read again. Thank you so much for offering and leading this study!

• Laura says:

1.How are Boaz and Ruth role models for how men and women are supposed to serve God together? (page 189 ) They both are role models by going beyond what would be socially acceptable and living their lives according to the spirit of the law, not only to the letter of the law. In doing so, they give us examples from the pages of scripture of living courageously for Christ even when that means we step beyond the social norms of our time. Their lives are examples of hesed love.
    2.How can you live more courageously for God? (page 210) I feel God is taking me to a new place in prayer calling me to courageously stand in prayer full of faith that He who is able to make the sun stand still, who can turn back the sun dial, bring resurrection life to that which is dead, is able to through partnering with Him in intercession take the promised land and gain the victory in many lives. I need to be more courageous in prayer standing in faith believing that He is able to do the impossible.
    3.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Page 186, “But God specializes in lost causes, and they are both willing to take enormous risks, believing Yahweh is moving them to act and will grant them success. I also was impacted by the passage on pages 204-205 which says, “Naomi’s participation in kingdom building is seriously impaired if she doesn’t know Jesus for herself. She has to experience him, not just learn about him. That means walking with him through storms, adversities, disappointments, and losses…She had to ask the hard questions, cope with unanswered prayers, and endure countless sleepless nights filled with doubts, fears, and anxieties. She had to find God’s hesed in the middle of the mess. The dark night of the soul is an awful place to be, but that’s where God trains his best warriors.” How true. I know my spiritual roots have grown deepest through the hardest times in my life.
    4.Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not. Absoulutely I would recommend this book. I feel like this book has taken the book of Ruth and revealed treasures that will leave lasting imprints on my life, and that it will do the same in the lives of others.

• Sherrie says:

I did not always comment or answer each week, but I read the whole book and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend. First, because the book of Ruth is so short, it is easy to read through and not get lost or confused while also reading a study about it. The approach taken here where we read 2 chapters a week was perfect because it made it easier to digest all of the great information that Carolyn included for her analysis.
    In every chapter, there was something that touched me as a woman living for Christ. The most impactful chapter for me was the one about providence, and how God’s fingerprints are present in our lives.
    I truly enjoyed this study and the opportunity it gave to take a look at Ruth, Naomi, and Boaz in a very different light than the way that I interpreted the story when I just read it without commentary.

Thanks for a great study!