When Godly People Do Ungodly Things Week 5

We’ve just finished week five of When Godly People Do Ungodly Things by Beth Moore, and next week is our last week of this spiritual warfare bible study. I hope you are enjoying the online bible studies for women! Spiritual warfare is one of the hardest studies to lead and to complete, because Satan throws out every flaming arrow he can gather and strives to stop your spiritual growth in this area. I commend each of you for your perseverance and determination to claim victory and complete your study. If you were sitting in my living room I’d run over and give you BIG HUGS.

Week 5 of this study is about finding your way home to the God who loves you. This week’s lesson is critical to spiritual growth. If you haven’t turned a corner already, then now is the time. You need to leave the past on the cross, let go of your shame, and walk in grace and forgiveness. If you have already experienced this transformation, then you know what I am referring to. We can be in bondage to our past, and though we know Jesus forgives and cleans us, we often do not forgive ourselves. A turning point in your spiritual life is when you let go of the woman who made a mistake, and embrace the woman who God loves.  Jesus was not nailed to the cross so you would continue to feel bad about your past choices; Jesus was nailed to the cross to lift your burden, bring you grace and show you how deep God’s love is for His children. If Satan and his demons are weighing you down with past mistakes, today is the time to fling them away and claim your identity. You are God’s child and no enemy, no evil power, no shame, no past mistake can keep you from the arms of a loving father. God loves prodigal children. Saying that God could “never forgive me” is actually a form of pride. It’s thinking your sin is greater than Christ’s nail-pierced hands of the cross. “Live for the applause of nail-scared hands,” says Mark Batterson.

If you still struggle with your past, I invite you to try this visual exercise. Find a comfortable place where you will not be interrupted. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to any sin you’ve been hiding under a sackcloth of shame. Imagine yourself removing this sackcloth….dusty and aged from years and years of bondage. See yourself folding the sackcloth and putting it into a museum where it is viewed as a thing of the past. Now, imagine you are crossing the Jordan River and you need 12 stones to get to the other side. As you visualize yourself walking across each stone, pray for 12 sins to reveal themselves. On the first stone you might say “Holy Spirit, walk with me and help me release my sins. On this first stone I confess (my sin) and I ask for forgiveness.” Do this 12 times and see where the visualization leads you. When you see yourself on the other side, imagine Jesus is waiting there to wash your feet. It’s a beautiful exercise of releasing the veils of shame and allowing Christ in you to restore your soul. (Psalm 23:3 NKJV)

Follow your heart to the path of hope and restoration, release your fears and let God heal. Find Christian counseling if you need it, and move forward on the path Jesus places before you. My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you. Psalm 17:5 NLT

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Beth Moore Quotes

• God’s Word provides a road map for restoration if we are willing to follow it.
  • True repentance swells grace.
  • I had to learn to swim in grace in order to live.
  • Humble and surrender yourself and all things concerning you into His loving hands and His wise plan.
  • Release your pride entirely to the Lord.
  • The sifting of our proud natures is one of God’s primary divine intentions.
  • God has no use for pride. It’s one of the few things scripture points out that He absolutely hates.
  • Failure may be the very thing God uses to sift us and make us true foot-washing servants.
  • If God wants to open doors for you to serve Him, He is perfectly capable of doing it.

• Read Week Six in the workbook
  • If you are using the CD’s please listen to audio Session Six
  • Join our next study Loving Well by Beth Moore

1. How do you feel about Had? (page 105 )
  2. Imagine your sin nailed upon the cross. Picture this in your mind, then share your gratitude.
  3. How does it feel to know God will never reject you and he calls you His daughter? (page 120 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• carin says:

So excited that I am almost done with really really difficult study!

How do you feel about Had?
    I despise had. I have been “had” so many times that I don’t even care to count. I have woken up many a morning and said Awwww why did I do that? I didn’t realize there was a word for it. I had been “had”!

I never really imagined the sin on the actual cross. I always picture Jesus on it This is something I need to visualize more and be more thankful.

It is an amazing feeling. That no matter what we do or say, he is right there to forgive and FORGET. We just need to confess and ask for forgiveness. How amazing is that!

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Day four (4). DO NOT BE AFRAID. I needed this lesson so much. The enemy puts so much fear in me that it consumes me. It was highly pointed out to me in this lesson. I learned just yesterday to find the truth of the matter. The truth will set you free. Forget what the enemy is telling you.

• Pam, Louisiana says:

How do you feel about Had? (page 105 )I have been a HAD more than I can count. I am just so thankful that the LORD has forgiven me and given me grace. That alone is enough to want to make me live for HIM. So thank you JESUS for everything that you have forgiven me for and helped me through.

Imagine your sin nailed upon the cross. Picture this in your mind, then share your gratitude. I am about to cry just to even think that a man who never knew me would hang there to die for my transgressions. I stand in awe that HE would do this for me. I love HIS omnipotentency!

How does it feel to know God will never reject you and he calls you His daughter? (page 120 ) AWESOME! I want to shout at the roof tops for this one. He knew me before I was formed in my mother’s womb, knows the route I am going to take in life, knows every dumb and stupid thing that I would and will do. Yet, I can feast at his table because I am FORGIVEN, never REJECTED! Wonderful!!!!

• Debbie says:

Oh my…..

• Debbie says:

Good Morning Sweet Sisters! I got a week behind and just posted comment to the Wk 4 portion. I am going back to read Wk 5’s comments and then I need to get to my reading for Wk 5 & 6….signing off in victory for rising against the firery darts!!!!

• Allison says:

1. How do you feel about Had? (page 105 )

It never ceases to amaze me how Beth can write these studies and I can feel her words were written specifically for me. I am a Had…times 10! How could I repeat the patterns so many times? I am grateful to Beth for articulating with such accuracy exactly what I have gone through as a Healed, but still fearful Had.

Sin! Try sins!!! I am still trying to wrap my brain around the picture of gratitude. I realized after reading on page 108 that I am caught in a cycle of “making excuses, rationalizing, blaming others.” I have asked for forgiveness…again…and although I am forgiven, I can’t seem to forgive myself. On page 109, I read “God forgives and forgets because He does not need to remember. We are forgiven but do not forget because we are wise never to lose sight of where we’ve been and how God has rescued us.” Maybe now I am beginning to understand that what I am perceiving as not forgiving myself is God allowing me to remember to help me avoid future seductions.

Fortunately, I have not felt the pain of rejection in real life. I have a wonderful, loving husband who has forgiven me for the emotional disconnect that could have torn apart many marriages. I liked Beth’s comparison to “It was my pleasure” as the way God feels when we thank him for saving us and making us His child. Feeling that God delights in me brings me a step closer to being Healed.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Page 117: Reading that every one of our sins was applied to Christ’s cross in advance. On page 121: Beth points out that “the same Mind who knew in advance you I would become one of His children also knew in advance I’d fall for a deceptive scheme of the evil one.” This certainly gives us something to ponder: the possibility of predestination. The sentence that I put a star by in this week’s study: page 114: “Choose trust and live. God is all-wise. He will not appoint any chastisement or allow any consequences that cannot be used for our ultimate benefit.” My prayer: Ps. 56:3-4 “When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?”

Satan “had” me in bondage to a sin Jesus had already washed away. Through bible study I learned to forgive myself and see me as God sees me. When we hold on to our guilt, we’re in essence saying “my sin is so big and so unforgivable, I can’t give it to Jesus!” Yes, we can. Un-forgiveness of self does not honor the sacrifice of His blood. We need to forgive and then allow God to restore JOY into our lives. Wear the crown of GRACE and not a crown of shame.

• Kim says:

(Although I’ve been rather quiet over the last couple of weeks, I am still present and accounted for. Reeling, but discerning, regarding spiritual warfare. But God…)

Nailed…
    There really are no words. Try as I might, I am dumbstruck. To be loved to the point of self-sacrifice and death for my “mess.” My stuff. My uglies. Nothing I could say would be able to convey my gratitude. (Okay, here come the tears.)

Never rejected, daughter…
    It all goes back to love, doesn’t it. To know that I am His – my Father’s – and that that is my true identity. This subject matter and lesson is particularly important to me for more reasons than I can say.

You are never rejected Kim. We often turn ourselves away from the Lord and make ourselves invisible to Him, yet He never leaves. He was and is always there, and He forgives. Accepting this is the first step to JOY. Letting go of resentment for our past mistakes sand forgiving ourselves is the second and final step. Let go and let God….give it all to Him.

• Kim says:

Thanks for your words, Christine. I couldn’t agree more. The heart of the LORD toward us all is amazing, to say the least. It’s so vast, with such infinite abundance. Add to that that His love, peace, and joy can be ours to, because of His gracious and compassionate provision…can you stand it?!?! I love His love! Praise Him! (Okay, tears.) 🙂

• roxie says:

I can see that I feel most of us have been probably had at one time in our life, without even knowing it. so I have enjoyed this study to open my eyes on situations.

My gratitude is beyond words. Thankyou, Jesus.

It warms my heart to know no matter what, or my situation I’m in I count on God. It makes me feel comfort and wonderful.

I can see all of in this study are struggling right now. Please know you are all in my prayers.

• Amanda says:

1. I wish I could go back in time and warn Had to listen to that still small voice instead of going forward and doing whatever Had felt like! Thank God for forgiveness and mercy.

2. I’m so thankful for ALL my sins being nailed to the cross. It amazes me how much God loves me and what length he went to for my sins to be paid for. Thank you Lord! Help me to accept this gift and to move forward in You and not focus on Had

Me too Amanda. I wish I had listened to the voice of the Holy Spirit inside me, and followed God’s will, placing my trust in Him instead of in man. My soulprint would be completely different if I had done this.

In God I trust and am not afraid.
      What can man do to me? Psalm 56:11 NIV

• Debi S. says:

How do you feel about Had? (page 105 )

This section really helped me to see how being a Had can feel. I got a better understanding about what someone who feels like a Had sees themselves and the world around them. It was very helpful.

My sin on the cross is so liberating. It really lets me be my best because I don’t have to carry around a backpack full of rocks of guilt and shame.

Never being rejected by God gives me hope and endurance. I am His daughter forever.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

I really liked the emphasis from day 3 that we are called to help those who are being restored. God renders the verdict. WE are called to help and support and guide those who are finding a new life in Christ. I learned a lot about what this looks like in reality. I also like the statement that “God alone has the right to decide who to use!” So true and such a good thing to remember. It was a great week of learning and growing for me.

• Laura says:

1.How do you feel about Had? (page 105 ) I feel so sad for Had, sad for the entrapment, and empathetic because I have been there. The compassion I feel for Had leads me to want to hug Had, and walk alongside Had to ecourage Had. I want to share my heart with Had to she hears how much Jesus wants her to receive His healing. I want Had to hear, “Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more” and to walk in the freedom of His forgiveness. I know what it is to be Had in such entrapment that I just begged God to take me home when the pain was just overwhelming, and after He brought me out of that pit, I want to should from the mountain peaks into every valley that every Had can climb out! It may not be easy, but wtih Jesus, and one step at a time, His love can bring us into freedom where we can rejoice in His grace.
    2.Imagine your sin nailed upon the cross. Picture this in your mind, then share your gratitude. When I consider the depth of the pit I was entraped in, I am overwhelmed that even if I was the only one, He still would have died for me! I just want to be prostrate on the ground before the cross crying out my praise and thanksgiving. He takes my filthy rags and clothes me in His clothes of righteousness. It is almost too much to contemplate. Thank you Jesus! With all of my heart and from the depths of my being, let every breath I have show my gratitude.
    3.How does it feel to know God will never reject you and he calls you His daughter? (page 120 ) I feel secure, and though I searched everywhere, turned to numerous idols to find the unconditional love I was so longing for all my life, I found it in my Abba Father. I am secure in the arms of His love. I have the forgiveness that covers every sin, past, present and future, and I can abide under the shelter of His wing. If God is for me, who can be against me???
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Why is it that I can never settle on one favorite moment? There is just too much meat so I have to list several:
    a. Pg 105 Christ doesn’t just raise Lazarus sick, He raised Him healed.
    b. Pg 108 “The way home is humility. Make no excuses. Rationalize nothing. Blame no one. Humble yourself. If you don’t yet feel the sorrow that you know will be necessary, ask god for it like a beggar asks for bread. Humble yourself, dear one. Come in total weakness to Him.”
    c. Pg 114 “You will either learn to trust Him as never before, or you will be impaired the rest of your life. Choose trust and live”
    d. Pg 120 ” His faithfulness to you is based on His great name! His great name stands even if we fall!
    e. Pg 121 “I hope to pursue His sanctification through and through with total abandon, no matter what the future holds.” This is my heart’s desire as well, and if I was forced to pick only one favorite moment this week, this would be the one.

• Renee says:

I was Had. Sometimes I remember some of the things I did when I was Had and am really embarrassed!! So, this week’s study was good for me. 🙂
    What is interesting is this whole Had fiasco was about 5 years ago. Then last week, in front of a group of people a friend of mine brought it up!! If that wasn’t Satan trying to push me back, I’ll eat my hat.

This week was very hard for me for I struggle with so many things. Had has played a big role in my life and still is. I am the type of person to NEVER LET GO and LET GOD…….as most of you know. I was not not sure what I was going to say, so asked the Lord for help and this is it. I need to let go……sp will you please pray for me to LET all of it go and became a true daughter of Christ, and let Him know I belong to Him. Put all my Hads in the past. Thank you all. Blessings to each of you.

How do you feel about Had? (page 105 )
    I think Had is someone every single one of us knows all too well. I am in a transitioning period in my life and am going through many changes, some positive and welcomed while others are not positive and beyond my control. I was going through this study being thankful I wasn’t experiencing some of the terrible things I was reading about, and BOOM! the Devil stepped in. I have tried very hard to walk closeer with God since my mom died in June becasue I knew that was what was going to get me through my grief and because I felt afloat on an endless sea with her, my anchor for so long one gone . Thank God for this study as I am digging my heels in more and more everyday determined not to let the Devil drag me back into the abyss with him again.

Simply, thank you Jesus for dying for MY sin, that I may live with You forever!

The past few days would have been unbearable without this promise. SO many time I have found myself reciting “I will never leave nor forsake you”. This is my life line with the seemingly unending family problems I am having right now. I have been able to stand tall under His mantle knowing that no matter what others say, I am safe in His love.
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I think knowing that failure may be what God will use to “sift” me helps me have a better understanding of why He allows His children to fail sometimes.. Failure cannot always be avoided and understanding He will use it to make me better provides a cushion for the hurt and pain that not be successful brings.

Your relationship with your Mom is not ended, it’s interrupted until you see her again. Keeping the Devil off your back and not allowing him to interfer with your grieving process is a healthy attitude. If the weight becomes too hard, ask for others to lift you up in prayer. Don’t go the route alone- isolation is the enemy’s greatest trap. Many churches have grief care groups and you can find loving care there, a safe place to release your emotions into the care of the Lord.

NO MATTER WHAT OTHERS SAY…YOU ARE A DAUGHTER OF THE KING. Your inheritance is secure in Him. Let go of the need to have others approve you and live for the Audience of One. It is very freeing and where I find my strength. You are safe because you are His. If you find it hard to remember this, get yourself a charm bracelet with a heart on it and engrave the word “HIS.”

I have engraved you on the palms of my hands. Isaiah 49:16 NIV

• Caroll says:

As I read , I immediately thought “your relatinship is not over with your mother”, then I saw what Christine wrote and ditto! I’m so sorry for your loss and Rhonda. I cannot imagine life without my mother. I will be praying for you to have your grief and your healing. Something that comes to me in greiving a loved one is how I can reflect back on all the great things about them and know they would want me to celebrate their life. I wish this gift to find you when the time is right.

• Caroll says:

1.How do you feel about Had? (page 105 )
    This Had didn’t see it coming. Great sadness was within me as I had confirmed I’d never be able to have my own children, I was far away from my husband and family feeling lonely and hugely depressed. I had witnessed poverty, unjustice and many deaths. I practiced medicine and had great demands put on me which filled me full of stresses. I lived in a country full of crime and was treated very differently than anything we know in the USA as women where I was living overall have no voice and Americans are thought to be wealthy and arrogant which is not the case yet we are taken advantage of at every corner and even attempts in our own homes. I was not allowed opions. My friends and I were witness to drug killings several times in the areas where we lived and the drive to school. There had been hand grenades and shootings at my school. Evil was rampant and what really was mind blowing is all wear crosses around their necks. I did not then nor even now understand. It was a time of great unstability and high emtions for me at every hour of every day. I recall crying and gasping for air on many occasions, I was unable to get my family or husband to come stay with me when I so desperately needed them. I recall thinking if I went home, quit, this would prolong my work further and cause big issues with comittments I had wanted so deeply to abandon. With great sadness, I could sit and tell you I’d never had been Had, though in the midst of my daily struggles and pain and fury, I was Had. Had returned full of anger and depression and wanted to die. Had still struggles and hurts. This Had has had days where she is paralyzed with guilt and overwhelming sadness. Had didn’t flee and now Had knows so much but especially to flee. Had has asked God to forgive her yet still struggles with forgiving herself and will continue to work on that. Had is so fearful of getting out into the world right now she rarely goes alone but she is working on this with babysteps. Had is fidning her way home and each day places her head in God’s lap and gives him every thanks for being in her life. Had tries to find ways to cling to God so tightly that she feels she may suffocate him. Had loves no other as she loves God and has given her sins and her life to God. Had is starting to heal and Had is no longer alone.

2.Imagine your sin nailed upon the cross. Picture this in your mind, then share your gratitude. This feels so wrong to place my sin on the cross yet I can do it as long as I’m visioning and feeling God’s hand holding mine walking me to the cross. I still fight feeling unworthy and not adequate which come in waves. The days have been such struggles with myself in this study as it has really made me face ALL bones in my closet and bring all sins I am aware of and place them in the light of day. I am so greatful beyond any human words for having a place to “nail my sin” yet the feeling is so dreadful to have to do so in the first place. I am greatful with every part of me that I can sit with God and I truly feel God in my life, daily. I am in such a different place by nailing MY sin up on the cross. A better place. I am greatful to have found this study as honestly it is teaching me how to save my own life. My life desperately needed saving and prior, I sure didn’t feel I had it in me to do so. I use the term I loved so much when crossing customs with each return to the USA “Welcome home” and with this study I truly know I am coming home I am sitting on my wall doing my best to watch all walls and I spend my days with Christ.

I am in my “quiet” season and need this time yet energy is growing and it is my hope to find ways to share and help others. I belong to God! I belong to God! I belong to God!

I feel like a blanket of everything that is warm, love, protective, forgiving has been placed on me to wear.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Wow…some days no dry eyes here!
    pg. 106: I BELONG TO GOD! I BELONG TO GOD! BELONG TO GOD!!!!! I’ve walked the season of death and so many times I have felt exactly many of the things Beth Moore conveys in this book which is most frigtening as if she has walked in my shoes…”you know when your heart is starting to get well. It will hurt so badly with throbbing pangs of repentance, you will think your going to die. And you will. Then God will raise you from the very thing that has been the death of you. He really will give you a future. ”
    I am placing my “breastplate of righteousness on” as she states and though Satan’s wants me hopeless, I BELONG TO GOD!!!

also Lesson 2: Psalm 139:9-10. This makes me absolute that I want Gods presence with me at all times.

Pg. 108, the last paragraph on finding my way home:
    “Dear Had, that is what Christ is looking for as you find your way back. The way home is humility. Make no excueses. Rationalize nothing. Blame no one. Humble yourself.”

Pg. 116 first sentence “Seek God’s approval with everything in you, and ask for the empowering of His Spirit not to let your sin make you a servant of man” . I am now finding my way home.

Psalm 27v.1
    The Lord is MY LIGHT AND MY SALVATION-
    THE LORD IS THE STRONGHOLD OF MY LIFE-

May all have a great week. Blessings.

This study saved my spiritual life too. As Christians we are so ignorant of the enemy and his ability to seduce us. Once he tempts us he then condemns us, and we’re in bondage. It is a delight to see you break free from where the enemy led you and embrace the Daughter you are. Blanket yourself in Jesus.