Welcome to our study of James, the brother of Jesus. We’ll be reading from James, Mercy Triumphs a new bible study written by Beth Moore. You’ll need a copy of the workbook in order to participate in this online bible study. We timed this bible study to coincide with the holiday season- Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s. It’s a time when we gather with our own families to make new memories and relive old ones. We’ll see scriptures through the eyes of James, who spent his family holidays with his brother Jesus. Can you even imagine growing up as a brother or sister in Jesus’ natural family! Beth Moore digs into the family dynamics beginning at the very first chapter. She reminds us that Jesus’ natural family thought he was insane, and his brother James taunted him to reveal and prove himself. James grew up living with the Son of God, and yet was an unbeliever. How is this possible? Beth examines these questions through our study of James. We’ll see a member of Jesus’ own family transformed.
Be sure to read the introduction in the front of your workbook and the five levels of participation. You’ll choose your own level, however we are going to keep you accountable to your commitment to study James. Each week you are asked to check-in at the Bible Cafe and report on your progress. An online bible study is less structured than a church small group, because we’re unable to see your workbook and check your progress. You’ll need self-discipline to stay on track, and we’ll have small group leaders to help you stay on track. A small group leader will shepherd a group of up to 20 women and help you stay accountable to your online bible stud. It makes our job easier if you post a comment or send an email to your group leader, even just to say “I’m on track and just finished week one.”
This online group is made up of more than 175+ women- new Believers, long-time Christ followers, first time bible study participants, seasoned bible study participants, pastor’s wives, church leaders and women seeking a church family. These women are from around the world- the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, and Switzerland. It’s almost impossible to find a church small group with a mix like this. What makes the online group unique is the absence of time zone restrictions. We can meet as a group anytime by simply visiting the Bible Cafe and posting comments or posting a reply to another comment. Day or night, the Bible Cafe is open.
If this is your first bible study, please read about My First Bible Study. If you have quit other bible studies, please read 25 Excuses For Not Participating in Bible Study. We assume each of you have read the Bible Cafe FAQ so you understand how the online study works.
The Details of Our Study
- We’ll be reading from James, Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore. We’ll read a chapter a week, followed by a group discussion online.
- Video or audio sessions from Beth Moore are available to enhance your study. We highly recommend the audio/video because Beth Moore brings life and passion to the study with her voice. Due to the expense they are optional and only the workbook is required here at the Womens Bible Cafe.
- We’ll “meet” once a week on Monday, where you’ll see a blog post such as this. At the end of the post you’ll see the discussion questions.
- Small groups will be assigned later this week and you’ll receive an email from your small group leader.
Assignment for this Week
- Read Week One in your workbook
- Listen to Session One and Two Audio or Session One and Two Video (optional)
- Download Answers to the Viewer Guide if you need them (look under “support materials at Lifeway)
Please answer this fun question so we can get to know one another: If you wrote a hit song about your childhood, what would the song title be?