Welcome to our first week of Lies Women Believe at the Women’s Bible Study Cafe. We are leading this study because so many women have been deceived or know someone who had been deceived! This is a ten-week Bible study and focused on exposing the lies and replacing them with truth. We’ll be reading the book Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss as she gives insight into breaking free from deception and enemy schemes. As you read the book and companion guide, you’ll discover Nancy is a woman who is not afraid of telling the truth. She backs the truth with wisdom from scripture and reveals ways to avoid traps and temptation through these lies.
As we participate in the study, we begin to discover lies we knew …and lies we were blinded to, just like Eve when she tasted the apple. “You and I have been lied to. We have been deceived,” writes Nancy and we’re about to take a 10-week journey to uncover specific areas of our lives where the enemy tried to deceive and destroy us.
As I write this tonight, my heart is breaking and the image above brings tears to my eyes. The image reminds me that we can be tempted by Satan as he makes the lie look appealing…or we can weigh the lie against the Truth of knowing God. We’re in a spiritual battle for our lives and if we don’t know the difference between the lie and the Truth, we lose. We can choose to live in ignorance and battle the lies year after year, or we can choose knowledge and arm ourselves for spiritual battles. Through our own desire we can recognize the lies and guard our hearts, minds and souls. When we know the truth…we find peace and comfort by knowing God’s Word.
Fighting the enemy will not be easy and you will experience resistance. I’ve completed the Lies Women Believe study with my church small group and the spiritual warfare I saw surrounding it was intense. Do you really think Satan wants you to know the lies he’s been using against you? Of course not! So he will discourage you, distract you, and even deceive you to entice you into quitting the study. He’s not willing to let go of his captives and the longer you’ve believed the lies… the bigger the battle. Decide now to live in ignorance to the lies you are permitting in your life…or decide now to discover the lies and reclaim the Truth in scripture. I’m on a journey to discover these lies and arm myself with the Truth…and I hope you’ll join me in this informative bible study by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer.
If This Is Your First Bible Study- How to Participate
Here is what you can expect from your participation in the Lies Women Believe Bible study
- Pray before you begin reading. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to wisdom.
- This online Bible study provides flexibility and convenience for you. Just read your daily lessons, five total, lasting about 30-45 minutes each day. A good plan is to read each morning Monday through Friday, allowing the weekend to make up any lesson you missed during the week.
- Visit the Bible Cafe anytime on Tuesday and join in the group discussion by posting a comment.
- Seek truth. God uses the most ordinary people for his extraordinary purpose. Listen to each other and be willing to share, just remember to allow judgment and healing for God.
- If this is your first bible study, you may enjoy using highlighter markers. I start with a blue highlighter and mark the scripture verses, such as John 3:16, in my workbook. I’ll mark all the verses for week one, before I start my reading. This way, when my eyes leave the pages of my workbook to find a reference in my bible, I can quickly go back and locate my place in the workbook. The blue highlighter is a “place marker” when I study. I then use a yellow highlighter to mark my favorite words. If I like what the author is saying, I will mark the letter “Q” next to the sentence, and this reminds me I’ll want to quote the author and post it on Facebook or Twitter.
For Next Week
- Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. Put today’s date inside your book and tell Him where you are in your life right now, and where you hope He leads you during your 10-week study of Lies Women Believe.
- Read Chapter One in your book and companion guide.
- Check in with your Small Group Leader. Contact us if you have not heard from your leader.
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- What lie (s) do you want to break free from during this 10-week bible study?
- Nancy says “”Anytime we receive input that is not consistent with the word of God we can be certain Satan is trying to deceive and destroy us.” How do you feel about this?
- If you were sitting in a room with the other women participating in this study, what words of encouragement would you say to them?