Don’t Be Concerned

By February 13, 2012Cancer & Faith

This post is written by Cindy Hamilton as she shares her cancer journey with you.

It was going to happen; it was inevitable.  They told me it would take about ten days, and they were right. I woke last Thursday morning and realized my hair was falling out.  The reason a person loses their hair in chemo is because the drugs attack the newest cells….like the bad cancer ones, but also, the good ones like your hair.  It’s OK, it really is. 1 Peter 3:3,4 says it this way, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes.4 You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” Well, Lord, I submit my spirit to you; that’s all I have right now.

There were two sweet sisters who offered to shave my head before all of my hair fell out.  But, when I woke up that morning, there wasn’t a lot of time to get with either of them and make it happen.  My second “healing drip” was scheduled for noon that day.  What was I going to do? I sat down in my chair to begin my morning prayer time with the Lord, when I heard my phone ping.  It was my friend, Rhonda, from church.  In her text she said that she was praying for me and had sent a special song to me via Facebook.  Rhonda! Rhonda was a beautician.  Maybe Rhonda would come and shave my head?  I texted her back. Yes, she would be happy to come.  In fact, for some reason that morning she had lingered at home instead of going on to school.  Thank you, Lord.  You care about even the small things like this.

Cancer and Faith Articles by Cindy Hamilton

With God’s Help, I’m Ready

Packing For the Journey

My Traveling Companions

God’s Healing Drip

Recaculating

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It’s also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you’re unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under “Current Studies” to see what we’re reading. Bring your book and let’s study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• Vicci Mauldin says:

May the Lord continue to bless you as you venture down this unknown road. But you know the Lord is with you. In Jesus’ name, amen. Hugs and love, Vicci 🙂 Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

I am so praying for you. I can shave off the rest of my hair for you. I am loosing it anyway, so this would be for a GREAT cause. Blessings.

• Jeanie Ryan says:

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I too am a cancer survivor of five years. I remember the day my hair came out. I had read about a sister that had went ahead and shaved her head and did not concern herself with what ifs. So I did the same. It was so refreshing to not have to worry about it. The little hats I received from Cancer Action came in handy to keep my head warm and cozy. My grandchildren were intrigued by my new look. It was very humbling and I knew what my Pastor meant when he would talk about losing his own hair at a young age. I never felt so free. And like you said, it will grow back and it is funny that it does come back different and new. God Bless you for sharing your heart and healing will come just like each new strand of hair.

• Kelly says:

I am amazed by your strength. Praying for you!

• Salina says:

My beautiful best friend found out she had breast cancer at 37. She lost her hair too, but now it’s back and down past her shoulders. She was just as beautiful then without hair as she is now. God bless you on your journey.

Hosea 6:3 “Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge Him. As surely as the sun rises, He will appear; He will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.”

• Maribel Segarra-Villalobos says:

Keep Smiling, God Never Will Forsake Us. We are His Children and as His Children, He Will Always Take Care of His Treasures. Keep Your Head Up Cindy for God is Taking care of You……God Bless and You and Your family are in My Prayers…..Blessed Day!!!!!!

• Destinee says:

Dear cindy , you story and your courage amazes me.may God blesses you and be with you during this hard time.my boys and I will keep you in our payers.

• Becky says:

Praying peace and strength for you – from a survivor. God bless! I am going to add your verse to my collection of verses and inspirations.

• Betty Blanton says:

My daughter Becky lost her hair 3 times before she was 6 years old. Yes, from chemo and radiation for leukemia. She had beautiful long blond straight hair at 3. Now, at 28 she has the most amazing head of curly red hair. Her hair came back a different color and texture each time she lost it. Becky is a beautiful young woman, loved by God. As are you Cindy. It is all part of God’s plan for you in this life.

• charleen says:

Praying for you. Love your smile.

• I saw my friend Katie lose her blonde hair, it grew back a dark shade, and now she has a full head of blonde hair once again- and she is 10 years old.

This weekend my teenager completed a report for her science fair on “the chemistry of hair.” So you might like these fun facts from her science project:
    • 120,000 to 150,000 – the number of individual hairs in a full head of hair.
    • 50- 100, the number of hair strands we naturally lose each day
    Knowing this….you’ll lost 150,000 individual hairs and it will grow back to remind you your body is healing, your cancer is gone and you are always beautiful in God’s mirror. He counts every strand of hair…so in His eyes you have 150,000 reasons to shout Joy. Only God defines you- not your hair. You are loved!