By His Stripes

By April 9, 2012Cancer & Faith

This post was written  by Cindy Hamilton as she shares her breast cancer journey with our readers. Please pray and support her journey of healing.

Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:4,5

Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness by whose stripes you were healed. 1Peter 2:22-24

For the last three months, I have claimed this scripture.  My healing comes from the very stripes that Jesus suffered.  It’s not easy to contemplate the suffering of Jesus, but it is necessary for us to do so in order to fully understand the sacrifice that he offered for us.

On Good Friday, I watched The Passion of Christ for the first time.  Honestly, I haven’t wanted to watch it, but for some reason I was compelled to experience Christ’s passion. I needed to know the extent of the suffering that has allowed me to claim my healing.  I cried.  I still can’t comprehend the agony that Christ had to suffer for me….for the entire world.  I felt so unworthy.  But, Peter says that because Jesus bore our sins on the tree, we have died to our sins and now have the ability to live for righteousness—to be right with God.

Isaiah says that “by His stripes we are healed” and in 1 Peter it says, “you were healed”.  Because “it was finished” by Jesus, our healing has been accomplished.  I will never take this for granted.

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It’s also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you’re unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under “Current Studies” to see what we’re reading. Bring your book and let’s study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• Jenn says:

Thank you for this reminder. Not only of all Christ suffered but the great lengths he went through as a demonstration of LOVE for us to bring us to righteousness. Praise be to God we are HEALED!

• Tiffany says:

What a beautiful and inspiring post. Thank you so much for sharing it. I do believe you are right. To comprehend something such as what Jesus has done for us is beyond our full understanding. We can only do the best we can and know we are blessed because of his holy act(s).

• Kendra says:

Thank you for the awesome article ! Amen!

• Nadine Davis says:

What a powerful and wonderful truth. We can never imagine just how much Christ suffered for us. But we can experience the results of it now, today! I too am grateful that I can walk in health and healing because of what Christ suffered. It is part and parcel of my salvation package to know and experience healing, right along with my assured salvation. At 62 I am constantly acquainted with pains and declining health issues. But of a truth, as I fight the good fight of faith and proclaim what Christ’s suffering and death provided for me, I experience the healing He assures me of. Maybe not right away but eventually I discover that I am healed! His Word is True and forever settled and it does what it says it does! He sent His Word and He healed us!

• Nannette B. says:

The movie was very moving & I cried a river as well. Just to think that He endured a much worse beating than was shown in the movie is difficult to imagine . I am so very thankful that my heavenly home is secure all because He lives ! Thank you precious Jesus. My prayer is that we become the salt of the earth – reach & teach the lost. Jesus is coming soon! Why do people want to literally waste their time in drunkened state if mind when the focus should be to be of a sober mind- be watchful for His return!

• Kelli says:

I haven’t seen the movie, but I am still very moved by what Jesus did for us! When I contemplate my own sin, and how He suffered to pay the price for me, I can’t even wrap my mind around it. He could have stopped the process at any time. He could have called legions of angels to rescue Him. But He didn’t…He paid the price so that we don’t have to. I am so humbled and grateful!! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thank you so much for this. I too watched the movie in a theater, not crying but bawling my eyes out. I rememeber people leaving the show before the movie was over. Thank you for the reminder. You you are feeling better than your last post. Prayers and blessings to you and yours.

• TC Avey says:

That was such a powerful movie. I remember sitting in the theater crying like a baby. I had brought a few tissues, knowing tears would flow…little did I know I should have brought an entire box!

The love Christ has for us, goes beyond our mental capacity. The pain He endured for us is amazing. Thank you for sharing this post, very appropriate after Easter!