Fingerprints of God Online Bible Study Week 4

Welcome back to womens online bible study as we study Fingerprints of God by Jennifer Rothschild. We’ve just finished reading week four and we have two weeks remaining in this bible study. Make sure to order your book for Nehemiah as they often sell out when Beth Moore leads a summer bible study. To register for the summer bible study- click here.

Image from Pastor Ray Noah's Blog

This week we studied “our relationship with God from three perspectives. He is our eternal security, our city of refuge and the immovable rock,” writes Jennifer Rothschild. We started the week with a lesson on hiding in Him and the exercise with the three envelopes. On page 59 in the book Jennifer uses ten words to describe a storm in your life:

• Thunderstorm
  • Tidal wave
  • Flood
  • Downpour
  • Tornado
  • Windstorm
  • Earthquake
  • Black Cloud
  • Hurricane
  • Volcano

During the exercise which followed, I wrote “My storm is like an earthquake because once it was over, I rebuilt my spiritual foundation for life, making it stronger that it was before the shaking. The earthquake was a positive experience because it revealed weakness in my foundation.”  I then reflected on my earthquake kit and how I spent time preparing and storing provisions for an emergency here in California. The earthquake kit didn’t just appear in my closet one day…I had to plan, shop and fill the closet with necessary items. To survive a storm in life- such as illness, death, financial loss-we need to have a plan based on scripture and God’s word. We need to fill our minds with scripture so when the storm arrives, we’re mentally prepared and equipped.

We saw how Jesus rebuked the storm in Mark 4 and you may recall from reading the book Fearless by Max Lucado or The Invisible War by Chip Ingram that this storm had elements of spiritual warfare. The demons knew Jesus was arriving to toss them into a herd of pigs, so they created a diversion and distraction of fear. Jesus did not respond to the storm or demons with fear, instead He responded with authority and trust in God. We turn to the Rock of strength for our protection and safety in our storms.

We learned from Jennifer that “God has given us a great wall of protection in the form of self-control” and then examined areas of life where we might lack control. Spend some time this week asking the Holy Spirit to convict you about any areas you might lack control. Rather than work on all areas at once, select one and make a commitment to work on controlling this area of your life during the summer. You can always find support from other women on Facebook or send me a private message.

As I was writing this post I searched for images of storms and clicked the first one that caught my attention. What a delight to find the image was from the former pastor at my kids Christian school! Pastor Noah wrote an article called Storms Happen and you can read it when you- click here. The image reminds me of the time we’ve watched a massive storm outside as my 10 year old daughter Katy sat inside the house singing “My God is Mighty to Save” from Hillsong.  You can listen to the song on YouTube when you -click here.

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer.

Homework For Next Week

• Read Week Five  in your book.
  • Watch  Video Session Five (optional due to cost) The video answers are in the back of your book in the “leaders guide”
  • There is no live Facebook chat this week due to the US holiday on Monday
  • Check in with your Small Group Leader.

Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below

1. Describe your storm from the exercise on page 59.
  2. Name an area of your life that you need more self-control. What is your plan to control this area of your life during the summer?
  3. Which lesson was most important to you this week- eternal city, city of refuge or immovable Rock- and how did it touch your heart this week?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

• Carin says:

1.Describe your storm from the exercise on page 59.
    Black cloud~ A storm/potential storm that is just waiting to happen. I just don’t know when or what it will do next. Just when I think it is going to pour it just sits there. Maybe it will hail a little or maybe it will just be a down pour. Some days it pours for just a moment as I just wait for the biggest of all.

2.Name an area of your life that you need more self-control. What is your plan to control this area of your life during the summer?
    Frustration and anger. Things I/we are blamed for. My husband and I are currently being accused of many things. This lesson is right where I should be. I need to be calm that when or if that black cloud burst I am prepared. I know I (we) will make it through.

3.Which lesson was most important to you this week- eternal city, city of refuge or immovable Rock- and how did it touch your heart this week?
    Immovable rock~ We are going through so many things right now that my husband and I have never relied more on God than right now.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    Self control, self control and self control….(it is a fruit of the spirit)

• Cindy H says:

1. Right now, I feel like I am in the eye of a hurricane. With my initial diagnosis of breast cancer, the storm was wild and crazy. But, God is protecting me right now in the quiet of the eye, preparing me for the next wave of the wind.
    3. I was intrigued by the cities of refuge. I had never heard about them. How like God to provide such places where we can feel safe within His everlasting arms.

• My storm is like a hurricane. Life seems to just keep circling and pouring on us. We are flooded with worry about the future. There is some calm lie the eye of the storm, but then it start all over again.

There are several areas of self-controlled that I marked during the lesson, but the one I am focusing on this some is eating. I have a problem eating everything in sight and overeating is the result. Now, I am making a point to exercise daily, eat healthier, and keeping myself busing doing other things so I don’t overeat.

I like to think of God as my city of refuge. I can turn to him for safety and protection from my everyday life. He restores calm in me and allows me to rest and keep going.

I really liked reading the last lesson. To read about walls in the Bible and their purpose and then to tie to our own wall of protection: self-control. That was definitely a lesson that hit home for me and continues to stick with me.

• Jackie says:

I really liked her analogy about walls. Especially her comment “We are also a temple, and the wall that protects us is self control.” Self control is not a punishment or deprivation as many non believers would like you to think, it is as Jennifer says, a wall that protects us. Overeating = health issues, promescuity=disease, living beyond means with credit=debt etc. Areas in a persons life that lacks self control, weakens the wall that guards us. How great is that? It also demonstrates that humans are accountable for their actions and there are consequences to our behavior. Contrary to what modern humanism encourages. It really helped to remember we are a temple, and to treat ourselves as God intended for our own good.

• Andi B says:

My storm is like a tidal wave. It struck without warning, right before Christmas, when I lost my ability to walk, because of MS. Thank God, much of my physicality has been restored but I am still handling the aftermath.

Self-Control… Wow! I checked almost every one of the boxes! The ones I didn’t were because I’ve worked with God for release… and I have to take them day by day!! I’ve noticed, since this study, that I’ve been working on anger, without trying. I get hurt and l rush to prayer instead of fighting,

Right now, God is mostly my City of Refuge… somewhere that I can go and be safe and protected. I know that no matter what I need, God is there and has the answers. He has touched my life with his protection in innumerable way, helping me in uncomfortable places and situations.

One of my favorite points in this chapter was the use of office supplies. I keep my envelope handy. Never knew I could like Post-Its this much!

• Carrie S says:

I have a quick reaction with anger.
    Also my eating habits, I turn to food when I am consumed with emotions, such as stress, and anger.

This chapter really stuck with me, as I know I need to work on these points. Now I just need to look to God and let him lead me.

1. My storm is mostly my life and how I have lived it. I am a control freak and always will be, it is my way or no way at all. I just need to let go and let God take over, but it is just so hard for me to do that, I need to do in control of every part of my life.
    2. Self- control in my life I would nedd would my temper and anger, also my controling attuide. my plan is to watch my mouth more this summer.

• Sally says:

I described my storm as a black cloud because we have been dealing with financial issues for a while now. I know that God is teaching us and growing us,but it’s been a burden,yet my faith is in God and his mercy and that He will help us get through this time.Also my momma has ahlzheimers and its a daily reminder as I deal with this truth every day. My peace is in the fact that it won’t always be this way for her.I also struggle with guilt sometimes that I am not going to see her enough at times even though I usually go once a week and am constantly thinking of her and worrying about her well being. How would I feel being in her position? It’s a struggle feeling I am lacking in some way in these areas.I just thank God for His unfailing love,hope,mercy.
    I loved the envelope exercise because it made me feel completely wrapped up in the arms of God and nothing could destroy me.That I am that important to God.
    I need self control in the area of getting easily irritated with things. I pray The Holy Spirit lead me and guide me, because I want to please God and show others His love by my example.

• Letty says:

My storm is the blackest cloud of depression. Finally learned to remember to look up & reach out to God instead of getting caught up in my natural tendency to cave inwards & find a dark little corner to fall apart in. Now whatever happens I’m just a tattle tale. Will run to God & pour out my heart then let Him fix it. I trust Him that He’s in control & everything will be perfect in the end. Once I’m comforted in that (again) can sing & be happy (again). Storm is over & I’ve noticed they pass by much quicker than they used to in the past.

Favorite moment from this weeks lesson was the exercise with the envelopes. I loved the visual & imagining myself as completely protected as that envelope. Body, soul & spirit. Father, Son & Holy Spirit. Jesus in me, me in Him & Him in the Father.

At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. John 14:20
    That’s powerful!

• Jeannie T. says:

My storm was having my husband die last September. I would describe it as a Tidal wave. I felt it wiped out my life as I knew it. Eight months later I still experience monster waves at times, but not as destructive as the original one. I am slowly learning with the help of God, how to go on living a different kind of life without my husband.

• Anne Maxwell says:

I was challenged by the thought the longer you rely on your pebbly strength the more you have the propensity to build an idol.
    I have had a very challenging year intellectually and spiritually. At this moment and time I am in a place that I don’t really want to be in so the final words about how uncomfortable places in life can be used by God as His sheltering embrace to protect preserve and to position us really spoke to me. I have certainly found refuge in God as I need his wisdom and grace walking this walk.
    God bless you abundantly
    Anne Maxwell

• Laverne (Missy) says:

Describe your storm – Not so much a storm but a “black cloud” I know I haven’t done things I ought to have done and said things I should’ve said and left undone so many things when I should’ve witnessed for God. When I do something over bible study again like face book or reading a personal book I feel like I putting God last and that is where my black cloud comes from. I pray my free will moves me to Gos first in EVERYTHING I do.

I need self control in giving people more of a chance just a little bit more grace. We all are on different levels in our walk and I have to really realize the reality of that. I will continue to pray asking the Holy Spirit for help. Before I am ready to get frustrated or walk away I will stop and pray some more.