Welcome back to womens online bible study as we discuss Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. We have more than 200+ women participating in this study. Last week we researched the meaning of our names and shared them with each other. It was a fun discussion as we learned why our parents name us or how we selected names for our own children. Thank you to everyone who participated and shared their thoughts by posting a comment.
We’ve just finished reading week one in Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. It wasn’t until the final day of reading when the book cover caught my attention. Each time I picked it up I thought “what a strange icon on the book cover.” When I spent more time looking at the details of the cover, I saw how it was designed to resemble a door panel for an apartment building. When you look at the buttons on the door, you realize that you can push one and call upon God. If you look at the chapter pages such as page 10, you’ll see the names you can “push” and He will answer. The icon on the cover is a speaker from an intercom…a source of two-way-communication!
I’m curious….if you pushed one of the intercom buttons from our lesson this week, which one would you push and why?
- Rishon Va-Acharon
- Adonai Yahweh
These are the names of deity and reminders of who God is. On page 14 Mary Kassian writes “The personal name of Yahweh reveals that God is a diving being who is self-existent, self-sufficient, self-directed, eternal and consistent.” I like that God is all of these…because it reminds me I can trust and depend on Him, and I will never be alone in life. He give me comfort and security. I stand on the promises of Adonai
- He looses my bonds.
- He daily bears my burdens.
- He is good to me and forgives me.
- He is merciful and gracious to me.
- He is abounding in love and faithfulness towards me.
- He gives strength to me.
- He accomplishes for me.
- He is my helper and upholds my life.
- He makes me glad.
Source: Knowing God By Name, Mary Kassian, page 22
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Homework For The Week
- Read Week Two in your book
- Optional: Join us on Monday’s at 6:00 PST/ 9:00 EST in a Facebook “live” chat hosted by Lakecia and some of your small group leaders. This is optional because of the many time zones and not everyone uses Facebook. To join the group –click here.
- Check in with your Small Group Leader.
Online Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below
- If you pushed one of the intercom buttons from page 10, which one would you push and why?
- How does the fact that the LORD is “I AM” impact you? (page 15 )
- How do you feel about the infinite God living with you? (page 27 )
- Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.
Small Group Assignment
- Write out the promises of Adonai on page 22 in your book. Change “their” and “them” to your name or the name of a prodigal child you are praying for. Be prepared to discuss these promises in your small groups.
- Identity a circumstance that seems to be out of control in your life. Which characteristic of God is most helpful to you circumstance- self-existent, self-sufficient, self-directed, eternal and consistent- and why?
Enjoy your week. Take time to praise Him by name.
UPDATE: Small groups are full. You can still join our study, however the small groups are at capacity. So you’ll be placed on a waiting list for a small group. You can still participate by joining the online discussions and Facebook chats