How Has Your Suffering Been Redeemed?

By July 9, 2012Cancer & Faith

This post was written  by Cindy Hamilton as she shares her breast cancer journey with our readers. Please pray and support her journey of healing.

The chemo room was like a turntable that morning.  When it was my turn to sit down, two sweet ladies we’re already sitting comfortable, receiving their morning drip.  Flo was 83 years old.  She was there because her first chemo treatment had just about knocked her off her feet, literally.  She told the nurse that she had felt like she was dying.  The other lady, Bonnie, a beautiful black lady, was in for her weekly drip, treating her over-multiplying white blood count.  Flo talked, but I don’t think Bonnie said anything except “Mmmm” when we talked about how God was the one who helped us through our sickness.  But, Bonnie had this quiet dignity and gentle smile that spoke for her.

In a short while, both Bonnie and Flo left replaced by Sandra and Summer. I met Sandra several weeks earlier.  She was in for her fourth bout with chemo.  With a shrug of her shoulders, she told me that she was about to lose her hair for the fourth time, laughing that each time it came in, it was different.  She has been fighting this ghastly disease for several years.   Sandra, however, wasn’t a victim—she was an overcomer.  She and her daughter had collected insulated bags from a local hospital, filled them with snacks and distributed them among the chemo rooms in several clinics.  She explained that sometimes you just get hungry during treatments, especially if a person is there for the day.

While Sandra was talking to me, Summer sat down, curled her feet under her and turned her head away as the nurse stuck the needle in her port.  Summer was a beautiful young woman, about the age of my youngest daughter.  Her head was covered with the cutest grey cap, which she said her mother had made for her. Her story broke my heart.  She found out she had cervical cancer five years ago when she was pregnant with her little girl.  Choosing life for her baby, she put off her treatments until she was born.  By that time, the aggressive cancer had spread.  Summer has been in treatment for the last five years, only recently having her bladder removed.  But, she is a fighter!  Her precious little girl and handsome husband came in the room with us to check on her.  After they left, she told us that she would be in treatment for the rest of her life.

Yesterday, my husband and I attended church with my daughter.  The scripture was Isaiah 53.  The minister asked this question, “How has your suffering been redeemed?”  All of these ladies are suffering in their own way.  But, none of them blame God or feel sorry for themselves.  They are there to fight this hideous disease, knowing that God is fighting the fight for them.  They are strong and brave, holding on to God with all their might.    Yes, Jesus had already fought the fight, He bore the punishment
that made us whole;
 by his wounds we are healed.”  We have been redeemed.

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It’s also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you’re unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under “Current Studies” to see what we’re reading. Bring your book and let’s study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

Hi Cindy,

You and your words always speak to me. You are a wonderful woman in Christ. If only, I had your faith. I love you.

• Yes our suffering has been redeemed. We know we are children of God, and we will be in heaven one day. I am a cancer survivor too, and because of Jesus Christ, I am holy and blameless in God’s eyes. (Eph 1:4)

• Jody says:

I love the question! The world sees suffering in such a different light. That our suffering is redeemed, has a purpose is a powerful truth. Suffering is the beginning of a whole lot of love, mercy, grace, and victory. Thank you for sharing!

• Nancy says:

Sweet Pretty Sister Princess, once again you have uplifted others and shown us all how a Godly response to suffering can be a blessing not only for the one suffering, but also for those around that person. Thanks!

• Vicci Mauldin says:

Hi Cindy. Always love hearing from you and about the work that God is doing in your life. I pray that your fight is progressing in the healing process. We love you here. 🙂 Vicci

• Domoina M. RATSIZAFY says:

My dear Cindy,
    I am deeply touched in my heart, it is a great blessing for me to have you in my road. It is helpful for me as a leader of Women’ministry to feel not only supported by WBC but to have friends like you. In my family, in generation to generation, cancer is one of reasons to lead to death but in the grace of the Lord, He allowed it to reach out my family to Christ. It is difficult for us to follow treatment because of its costs but many found recovering in passing away to Christ. Thanks, God has a good plan for us.

Cindy,

You have been in my prayers. I really appreciate the insights you are sharing. My journey of suffering isn’t cancer – -but a battle that isn’t a physical attack (although this broken heart might disagree over that statement), but an emotional one. And I remember so clearly early in this journey that I wanted this pain to all be for a reason. I didn’t want to hurt so deeply for nothing. I wanted there to be a purpose. I wanted it to mean something. So when I read the title, “Has Your Suffering Been Redeemed?” it caught my attention. Strangely, I hadn’t thought about it that way. I have turned this over to God, He has established a ministry from my pain, my loss. He has been with me each and every step of the way (although there have been many moments I have felt the loneliest that I have ever been). So, i guess as i sit here contemplating i am thinking am i holding on to this suffering too tightly? hmmm . . .lots to pray and think about. Cindy, thank you. and God continue to be with you in your journey, you are a blessing to us and He is glorified through you!

• Cindy,
    You are a beautiful person inside and out, and I am truly honored to have you in my Nehemiah Study Group. You are an inspiritation of love, hope, and faith. God is shining through you beautiful girl!
    Thank you for being on WBC.
    Traci

• Liz says:

I too am a cancer surviver. Your story spoke to me . This is my story . Thank you for sharing .

• Millie says:

Hi Cindy,
    God’s blessings be upon you and all who go through the cancer journey. Thirteen years ago I too walked this path and what kept me going was the cross. Every time I looked at it I thought, if Christ could go through that to glorify his Father and for us, then I could go through this to glorify him! That journey was the beginning of my new life with Christ!