Nehemiah Online Bible Study Week 2

By July 10, 2012Nehemiah

Welcome back to online bible study, as we discuss week two (session two) from Nehemiah, a Heart That Can Break by Kelly Minter.  We now have almost 700 women participating in this summer Bible study and your commitment to read scripture during this season is impressive! If you’re like me, once you get into a habit of reading and learning scripture you don’t want to break the routine, even for a summer vacation. My Bible and my books will be traveling with me wherever I go…just as I memorize and carry His words inside my heart. They’re fuel for my day and I feed on scripture as a daily meal.

As a group, we had a powerful moment this week when many of you decided to rebuild your health. Several ladies were discussing their weight and health challenges in the Facebook chatroom, and in just a few hours we had more than 70 women form a weight loss group for this Bible study. Our inspiration came from page 40 in the book when Kelly Minter asks “Have you ever forced a plan or a dream, that in retrospect, you realized God’s hand wasn’t on?”  We realized that our physical temples were neglected and in ruin, and each time we tried dieting or exercising without the presence of the LORD, we failed.

Did the LORD place it on your heart to rebuild something in your life? It might be your health, your marriage, a relationship with a child or friend, your finances…anything that seems to be filled with rubble and in need of restoration. Examine yourself and pray over this. Ask the LORD what needs rebuilding and restoration in your life. He will reveal this to you and then open doors of opportunity as He did for Nehemiah. Let the heart of Jesus move you…and His glory will shine.

We know from our lessons that Nehemiah repented for the sins of himself, his family and his nation. This week we’ll be discussing repentance in live Facebook chats so join us when it’s most convenient for your schedule. To see the chat schedule- click here

When you visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request, know that we have a team of 33 women who are praying for you. Some pray privately and some post a reply to your prayer. In order to receive the blessing of these prayer warriors, you need to submit your prayer request. if you have a private prayer and do not want to post it on the website, please email wbcprayers@gmail.com

Assignment For Next Week

• Watch  Video Session Three (optional due to cost)
  • Complete Session Three  in your book.
  • Check in with your small group
  • Join a live chat discussion (optional) for schedule –click here
  • Join the Womens Bible Cafe Weight Loss Group- click here
  • Visit Beth Moore’s blog to see her video update- click here

Group Discussion– From Beth Moore’s blog:

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 )
  5. Discuss how disgrace can result from a collapsed wall of some kind. THEN, celebrate the reality that walls can be REBUILT. (page 39 )
  6. What rubble in your life is presently the most discouraging and exhausting? (page 56 )
  7. Pray over this verse over someone from your small group and intercede: Don’t be afraid of them. Remember  the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes. Nehemiah 4:14 NIV

May you continue to grow in love and faith through your daily Bible study.

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 ) For me it is has been helping at career transition workshop over the past several years. I find that I enjoy going to help people out when it comes to setting up, and analyzing their resume in a positive sense. Each time as a group, we meet and pray to guide all that comes there. Out of the weeks, I been doing career transition workshop I have not missed whole lot of weeks.

• Christine Smith says:

What a great ministry Jennifer…there are so many people who need the confidence that only God can bring. You are a blessing and a treasure to all who meet and know you…and a blessing to me.

• Jessica says:

2) What breaks my heart are people who reject Christ as their Savior, and hearing about crimes and abused children and animals. It’s a sad world we live in, and we need to be willing to reach out to these people and introduce them to the Lord.

• Joanie says:

My husband. When I met my husband my family was going through a terrible time. My younger sister had just had a catastrophic accident that left her in a coma with a severe head injury and we were living with the uncertainty of whether or not she would survive. She was in coma for six months and my parents were basically living in another state for several of those months and I was left on my own. I was 19 at this time so I was capable of taking care of myself and I stayed with my brother and his wife most of the time but I really felt that I had no one with whom to talk about what was going on and to share my grief and uncertainty with. That is when I met my husband and he has been a blessing to me for 25 wonderful years. God truly blessed me when he sent Alan to me.

According to Matthew 22:36-40 the 2 greatest commandments are “Love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Unless we have a heart that can break how can we have love for anyone. What breaks my heart the most is seeing children in crisis situations such as abused children, children of drug addicted parents, etc.

I feel that I need to be less judgmental of others and I have tried very hard to work on that. I am trying to live my life by the “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes” standard.

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31) Have you ever forced a plan or dream that, in retrospect, you realized God’s hand wasn’t on? (page 40 )

I am currently feeling pulled to try to help my church to reach out to young people through today’s technology. I have been feeling the desire to create a website for our church but I am not sure if this is God’s plan for me. I have been praying about this and have done a small amount of research on the subject. I would appreciate any and all prayers for me on this.

I have never been someone that puts themselves forward with any plans. This is something that I have also prayed about. I have something inside of me that tells me that what I have to offer is not good enough. I know that this is Satan trying to keep me from doing God’s work and I am continually struggling to overcome this weakness in myself. Please pray for me!

4. Discuss how disgrace can result from a collapsed wall of some kind. THEN, celebrate the reality that walls can be REBUILT. (page 39)

Communication can be a collapsed wall. Miscommunication or failure to communicate has harmed many relationships and families. In this age of email and texting communication has become very impersonal. Also, it is easy to misread the intended sentiment when reading a text or an email.
    These walls can be rebuilt by face-to-face communication. Also, if something that someone else did or said bothers us, we should go to that person and talk about it. It is through the open lines of communication that we can rebuild relationships.

5. What rubble in your life is presently the most discouraging and exhausting? (page 56 )

I have been struggling with weight loss. I had some serious health issues that caused me to have to make some huge changes in my life and losing weight was one of the biggest changes. I had lost 62 pounds! Now, however, I am having a problem with overindulgence and have gained 20 pounds this year. I don’t want to backslide into the same health problems that I had before.

• Carin says:

This is an interesting question. I am not sure I have an answer for. I have met people that have changed me life. I am not sure that I think back that I missed that they were not in my life prior to missing them.

What breaks my heart is a loved one that passes that doesn’t know the lord. A loved one could be a co-worker or even an acquaintance If it didn’t break my heart I wouldn’t feel so bad that I didn’t do enough when someone asked me about my faith. I know it is God that is weighing on my heart to evangelize more. I also just lost a co-worker just recently who asked about my faith. It hit me hard that I didn’t follow through!

What has God put in your heart to do?

Since my husband and I do not have children, after we took the “financial peace university” course by Dave Ramsey we realized that our money that would have gone to our child(s) college fund could be a ministry in itself of extra giving. My husband has to be busy & with his carpentry skills could help a lot of people. I know this is the direction that God has put on our hearts as since we made that decision the enemy has struck us and has tried to make us throw up our hands in the air and say “I give up”…..

Yes, I did a ministry that was for my own benefit not Gods. What a disaster!!

What rubble in your life is presently the most discouraging and exhausting?

All the chaos – Threats from a past client that is trying to take down our business. It is discouraging because we have no idea what is around the corner. It is very stressful!

I had written a huge paragraph about how the walls of prejudice and learning acceptance have been the walls my family have had to rebuild through the blessing of my son who has autism and grandson who has Downs Syndrome, but for reason it was deleted. God knows what I said comes from my heart so I won’t repeat it, but know that when we build those walls God puts in front of us, we are blessed without measure and only then can we know the real love of God.

• Christine Smith says:

We don’t delete them here…did you post the paragraph on Facebook? I would love to read what you wrote!

• Christine Smith says:

Is this it? I found it under Week 1 Nehemiah and the post is still active:

Submitted on 2012/07/03 at 7:04 am by Rhonda

“Sometimes the most accomplished people aren’t the ones with the most ability but with the most breakable hearts.” This statement spoke directly to my heart. I confess I have been pretty self-centered lately. I got very down because I was not getting any response from the small groups I had been leading and decided I needed to start focusing on my own relationship with God, so I opted out of the leadership role. I am thankful I did so at this time because I am spending all my time on the Nehemiah study rather than wondering what I can do to engage the group members I was responsible for. I am currently praying for the members of my small group as I did before, but am not worried about whether or not they are staying focused on their studies. Nehemiah is showing me that I need to look for what I can do for others. My heart is broken for the developmentally disabilities, especially those with autism and Down Syndrome. So often these precious folks are overlooked as they can’t speak up for themselves. I have become active in prayer groups and monetary donations for Reeses Rainbow a group that sponsors and raises money for adoption of orphans with disabilities. This is bringing me joy to know I am helping the least of God’s children in the ways I CAN help. I look forward to each day of this study and am feeling my spirit be refreshed and deepen.

• Barbara says:

I am not one to go into a lot of detail with the circumstances of my learning to walk with God. The lessons are very thought provoking and at my age I can think of many broken walls that have had to be rebuilt – and much rubble that continues to be worked through. I just know the great peace God has given me in working through each circumstance. The greatest lesson I am continuing to affirm in the study is to pray first and continually — and believe and trust in God to bring those prayers to reality. I have had a special relationship for many years with a broken wall. I have had to let go of trying to determine what to do or when to do it — and wait for God to work and show me what to do. Physical rubbish can be so much easier to work through than mental rubbish! The waiting can bring much fear and anxiety without the peace of believing God is working.

Like our teacher, I hate conflict like meatloaf (but actually my mother makes a really good meatloaf!) — It is sometimes easier for me to give it to God than to take action. I tend to want to make a plan and dive in! Seeing God’s direction is sometimes hard for me and I can have some strong, godly plans. When they don’t work, I am discouaged! He is teaching me to wait and wait. For many years, my special verse has been Isa. 40:31. It always comes back to me and It always proves to be true!

So I continue to wait and grow stronger – knowing God is at work! I have never studied Nehemiah and am loving it with the wonderful application to life! Thank you, Kelly Minter. You are a blessing from God.

• Christine Smith says:

I’ve enjoyed reading your comments Barbara and your sense of humor too! You make a good point about waiting for the LORD to lead us rather than sorting through the rubble ourselves.

• Sheree Poole says:

I am absolutely loving this Bible study of Nehemiah!! I believe this is going to be one of my favorites as God has been speaking volumes to me…I have shed tears, I have rejoiced, I feel the Holy Spirit working, and in the midst of all that comes spiritual warfare. I have seen several posts of our sisters in Christ being hit hard by spiritual warfare. Please know that I am praying for you and please don’t give up!! That is exactly what the enemy wants you to do, throw in the towell and give up!! God is for us, so we have strength in Him!! What a perfect time to be praying this verse, #7 of our discussion this week: “Pray over this verse over someone from your small group and intercede: Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” Nehemiah 4:14 NIV….AMEN and AMEN!!

I love this question, and we are actually discussing this one in our small group time for posting on Beth Moore’s blog. My heart aches for innocent and abused children and animals because they depend on adults for love, safety and security and protection. That grabs my heart strings every time and I will shed tears driving to work over something I heard in the news on the Today show I watched that morning. Also, I witnessed poverty like I never in my life have seen before with my own eyes when I went to Honduras on a mission trip with my church. These people were so warm and loving I don’t think they even minded the fact of the poverty they were living in. That first night I prayed for those precious people and I buried my head in my pillow and wept and wept and wept. I tried hard not to sob out loud because I was sharing a room with two precious Spanish ladies who were our interpreters and eight sweet and precious teenage girls and I didn’t want to wake them. Boy, did the Lord ever sprinkle tenderizer on my heart to make it more tender for others! I didn’t know how I was going to survive the week, but it ended up being the most memorable and rewarding experience of my life. I had the awesome privilege of praying for these people in their mud floored home with no windows and doors and livestock (pigs and chickens) walking in and out of their homes. I prayed and our interpreters interpreted, and tears were streaming down the faces of those precious people. We hugged and cried together, and I watched them make a profession of faith in Jesus Christ. I love Honduras and I love those people, which leads to the very first question…”Name people you’ve met and, after getting to know them, realized you’d missed them terribly before they came into your life. In others words, describe a time when you encountered people that supplied something your life was greatly missing. (page 6 ). I can still see their faces, but cannot put a name with the face, but I miss them terribly, and what was missing in my life was a love for these people that I didn’t even know personally, that God softened my heart with tenderizer, and I was able to share Jesus with them in such a genuine loving way, and I will never forget that experience as long as I live. I still think about them from time to time and continue to pray for them.

• Christine Smith says:

It takes great courage to go on a mission trip, and all the women I know who followed their hearts were forever changed, just like you. What a blessing to be able to give your heart and love to strangers…in Jesus name.

• Andrea says:

I moved to Maryland five years ago. I found a church with godly, warm people and strong Biblical teaching. Over the years I have formed relationship and strong ministry. I feel so thankful to have such a church, where I so thoroughly feel a part of it. Looking back to before I attended this church, I see what I was missing, although I didn’t know it at the time.
    If a heart doesn’t break, it indicates a hardness of some kind. It could be anger, pride or selfishness. All of these things prevent us from loving and caring for others the way God does. The breaking of our heart indicates that we are putting others first and that we are willing to do. My heart easily breaks for people with special needs and for children who do not have very good home lives. I struggle with compassion for people who irritate me.
    3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 )
    Because I am a teacher, I have the opportunity to help kids. I help meet their physical and emotional needs that aren’t met at home. I have also recently become more involved in the lives of my goddaughters.
    A recent relationship with a boyfriend; and although it wasn’t God’s plan for us to end up together, I do believe that it was God’s plan for me to go through it to learn and go from it.
    When things go horrible wrong that we thought God was leading, it’s very heartbreaking. It often causes me to doubt everything, because it shifts everything I thought I knew. But when we realize that God is with us even in these times, and He is using EVERYTHING we experience to help us grow, it helps me start over.

• Christine Smith says:

Wow…this is powerful when you said “If a heart doesn’t break, it indicates a hardness of some kind. It could be anger, pride or selfishness. All of these things prevent us from loving and caring for others the way God does. The breaking of our heart indicates that we are putting others first and that we are willing to do.”

• Lisa says:

1. Sue, Cindy, Jeanne, Cathy are my coworkers and my best friends! We pray together everyday at work and have a great relationship where we can vent and pray for eachother and count on eachother thru anything. Im so blessed and thankful for them!!
    4, I feel ive disgrace myself by letting my heart get cold and shutting down. Ive been angry, cold, judgemental,uncommpasionate and just plain ugly!! It is totally out of character for me to be that way and im so thankful to God that thru this study He is building my walls of compassion , grace and love back!! I feel so free and light and blessed!! Thank you Lord and WBC!!!

• Christine Smith says:

Your work environment sounds like a Divine Appointment! It also sounds like you are rebuilding your identity in Christ through this study…..and developing a Christ-like attitude towards others. Beautiful!

• Lisa H says:

4. Have you ever forced a plan or dream that, in retrospect, you realized God’s hand wasn’t on? (page 40)
    Looking back, I see where my whole life was like this. After I became a child of God it still was like this for many years. Only recently have I wanted to “let go” of the control I erroneously thought was my job to hold on to. Most times, the clean up after a forced issue on control, takes longer and is messier than God ever had planned for me.

My most recent “disgrace” created a better rebuilt relationship with Him. On 9/13/2010 I was 706 miles away from home (training for a new job), by myself, when I got a call from my mom. She needed to tell me she was diagnosed with a terminal illness (mom had been living with me since August of 2003). On 10/5/2010 I was fired – actually I was told I was incompetent and a liar – I worked at the new company for only 15 days (4 days training). I had never been fired before in my life. I didn’t like it, nor the way it was done. HOWEVER – I was doing a job I now realize God did not want me doing, AND I got to stay home with my mother, taking care of her, until her death on 3/26/2012. God chose to not provide a job for me during this time. He did provide a class for me to take at the local community college that was a precursor to the job I now have. While my mother didn’t change much during the time I spent taking 24/7 care of her, God did change me – helping me to REBUILD a part of my relationship with my mother, and with Him. I have tons of God stories from this time that really touched me and molded me.

Trying to sell my house. I can’t afford the mortgage and it makes me feel like I’ve failed. But I have a very strong feeling this is not where God wants me to be right now. And a house is just a “thing”. Any and all memories are not pasted on the walls of this dwelling, but rather in my heart and mind. I get to take them with me.

• Karen says:

2) What breaks my heart? Abused/neglected children. I am a school teacher, and I see it all the time. Some adults seem to think that the world is “all about me” , when if they give their children a little more attention, they would have a bettter chance. As a Christian teacher, I have it in my heart to reach out to these families and help to rebuild their lives.

3) God has also put it in my heart to pray for the new marriages. I see so many marriages fall apart, couples who have not really committed themselves to each other, which is what God ordained a marriage to be. “Love and Respect” written by Dr. Emmerson Eggerichs is a fantastic book. It emphasizes what we really already know, but must be reiminded to put into practice. We need to rebuild our marriages.

• Christine Smith says:

What an opportunity for Divine Appointments. Praying that you touch the lives of these families through your prayers and words.

• Glenda says:

I agree ! I work as nurse in clinic see the same things.I pray for god open my eyes, heart see a way to help

• roxie says:

1) A close friend that I have been friends with for about 35 years with. We got out of touch for awhile then got back in touch and our relationship has grown. It’s beautiful to talk to someone who has the Love of the Lord as I do

2) It’s vital I feel to have our hearts broken or go through our tribulations. Gives us a better understanding and helps us to be passionate toward others with their problems. Knowing God is a loving God and he doesn’t give us the problems but puts them into good for our benefit. I know what I have gone through in my life has given me deep understanding with great compassion for others who may be going through the same thing or close to the same….God works good for those who love Him.

3)God has put in my heart to help others (especially in my own family and circle of friends) to help them with their salvation. Maybe some just by witnessing my life or just praying for them without ceasing.

5) Sometimes I get discourage when I feel my husband is growing in faith and understanding then something takes a nose dive and then I feel down. Then God reminds me of my failures and reminds me things don’t happen over night. I feel he is teaching me patients. My husband may have a ways to God to completely commit himself but I know through God all things are possible.

Gail, Joyce Meyer has a lot of books out there. This one is not from her but, one I have read handed down and bought for others is called Learning to Forgive. Excellent book. If interested you can e-mail me and I can see if i can track down the author. I may even find the book around.. I can send if i do. But, also your best book is the Bible, I always go to the back of resource and check out what passages to look at for ex: anger, love, etc. It will tell you were to go. If interested in the other book. E-mail me at roxiesgarden@far.midco.net

• Andi B says:

The first person who comes to mind is Zena, who introduced me to the Lord.
    The next is my husband, Alex, who treated me like a princess. I felt like God had made him just for me.
    Now, I’ve been so blessed to meet Cara, my wonderful daughter, who has taught me more about love and selflessness in the past 21 months than I thought possible.

What breaks my heart: children being abused of neglected, mistreatment of the elderly, mistreatment of animals. I wrote that my heart could be more tender to those who are begging for money – In Los Angeles, we get a lot of this where any help that you extend in met with a slap instead of thanks… it can harden the softest heart. I also wrote that I could be more tender to people dealing with addiction… but God is certainly swift! This exact issue hit close to home in the past week.

What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 )

I didn’t know when I started this study… I think I do now. I want to help babies born into addictions. Exactly what form that will take, I don’t know. My mother and I watched a news story about it while she was taking care of Cara, and I felt an indescribable sadness. Having a child who was in NICU for 3 weeks (completely healthy but early,) I had a huge amount of empathy for these small ones and am praying over what steps I could take to help.

I worked for years on a novel that, although good, was not part of God’s plan. I don’t know if He will direct me to write on it again, but I do know that He wants me to be concentrating on something else at this time. I don’t know if God wants me to revise and work on it or just let it go. I’ll keep following.j

Disgrace when the wall of you family comes to disrepair… when you think that nothing can rebuild the love and commitment. When healing begins it is joyous and can be stronger than before.

The most discouraging is probably hurt from my past… some of it DISTANT past! It isn’t around constantly but when I’m reminded, it’s like a stinging gnat!! Annoying and painful!!

• Ginger says:

1. I think every single person in my life supplies something different and essential. God places people in our lives.

2. A hard heart is not a compassionate heart. I believe having a tender heart spurs us to love others and do something about it. Although, sadly many of us won’t break out of our comfortable, safe, bubbles. What breaks my heart is when human rights are violated, lack of clean water & food, rich and spoiled people who can’t seem to find the time to help another in need, and an overall lack of compassion. It breaks my heart to witness overabundance in some countries and complete lack of basic needs in others.

3. I think helping people with basic needs shows how we are to love one another. That is how we show others Christ. I do believe evangelism has a place, but it’s important when to know when to back off. People starving and dying of water borne illness aren’t going to focus too much on the message. However, give them food, clean water, and show them how to continue the process (aka: fill their bellies) and then you have an audience willing/able to listen.

I am certain I have, especially with timing. Other times I thought I had understood the plan, but realized it branched off from my own.

6. My current rubble, minor pieces of detritus, is the restructuring of our children’s education. With God’s direction and timing, my husband and I have decided to specialize in our sons’ education. That is to say that we will be homeschooling. My husband and I realized that we were standing knee deep in “rubble” as we contemplated the decision to repair and rebuild what the last year and half has left behind. Their education has suffered greatly and we encountered strange tactics by teachers. That just left us scratching our heads and wondering if we were crazy. We are disappointed, but we are moving ahead with the “rebuilding”. Right now we are just moving past the sifting through the rubble and evaluating the damage. Now our focus is on clearing out the rubble and purchasing the building materials that we’ll need to make repairs. The rubble is discouraging, but I know how to restore this situation – and they have a great foundation already. I think if it was a different circumstance or probably if I was doing this without God’s direction, I wouldn’t be quite as confident or encouraged. In fact, I know I’d be a wreck, because my husband and I had thought of doing this before and nothing about it was peaceful.

7. I am an advocate of prayer and sometimes I get strange looks, even from our small group, when I mention that we should pray for a particular person or situation. I’m a little surprised in their reaction. Prayer is such an important part of my life and would totally fight for my family.

• Kelly Sylvia says:

1. Name people you’ve met and, after getting to know them, realized you’d missed them terribly before they came into your life. In others words, describe a time when you encountered people that supplied something your life was greatly missing. (page 6 ) My friend Cathy, whom I met when living in WV for 3 tough years. There was an immediate connection. We worked together but didn’t see each other often or outside of work, but each time we did I felt she was sent to me from God to help keep me grounded, positive, motivated, and focused during a difficult time. I miss her terribly now that we have moved, but trust God put her in my life in the season I needed her.

2. Why is it so vital to have a heart that can break? Discuss how you filled in your columns: what breaks your heart and where you could be more tender. (page 14 ) Anything involving children breaks my heart. Anything from very serious matters, to my daughters anxiety over fire alarms that everyone promises she’ll grow out of. I could be more tender towards people who refuse to make changes in their life, but constantly talk about needing to make a change (drama).

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 ) I really am not sure yet, but I do feel God is working in me for something. This has actually be an insightful and happily overwhelming week because I see so many possibilities. Now I am praying and waiting on God.

4. Have you ever forced a plan or dream that, in retrospect, you realized God’s hand wasn’t on? (page 40 ) Yes! I didn’t have enough Faith and let fear push me into what ended in depression.

• Kelly Anne says:

1.Name people you’ve met and, after getting to know them, realized you’d missed them terribly before they came into your life. In others words, describe a time when you encountered people that supplied something your life was greatly missing. (page 6 )

I would have to say that my boss. She showed me the way to Christ and fueled my passion for the true God and His word.

2.Why is it so vital to have a heart that can break? Discuss how you filled in your columns: what breaks your heart and where you could be more tender. (page 14 )

My heart breaks over third world countries and their treatment of women and children. My heart breaks over abused children and animals-he kills me to read stories of such atrocities. I can certianly use more tenderness with people in general. I really need help with patience! Religious tolerance is another one I need to work on. I have a real hard time with Islam and can’t seem to find much compassion for peoople who follow this religious path. Lord help me with this! I need some tenderness concerning my ex husband and his actions (or nonactions!)…he has a tendency to push my buttons!

3.What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 )

To help minister and help heal persons in real need of Chirst in their lives. I would like to give them that extra “oomph”. To help them read the Word of God and have it have meaning in their lives. I would like to see people transformed by the Word of God!

4.Have you ever forced a plan or dream that, in retrospect, you realized God’s hand wasn’t on? (page 40 )

I couldn’t answer this one honestly…I feel I haven’t had God in my life long enough to pin point an exact situation.

5.Discuss how disgrace can result from a collapsed wall of some kind. THEN, celebrate the reality that walls can be REBUILT. (page 39)

I believe a lot of my disgrace has come from my selfishness. When I concentrate on others and helping them, that disgrace is disolved through victory given by the Lord Himself.

6.What rubble in your life is presently the most discouraging and exhausting? (page 56 )

I’m going through some trials-a lawsuit involving my vehicle (which has left me without any transportation and relying on the good graces of others). I am also facing severe back problems which probably could of been avoided had I been paying attention and exercising.

7.Pray over this verse over someone from your small group and intercede: Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes. Nehemiah 4:14 NIV

Amen!

• bonnie says:

SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS WEEK 2

i would first say my husband, but that consumes my world now. Then the list of friends and coworkers who qualify for this question is long. i would also have to mention those dear to me in Kenya.

i think my heart learned to break as a child. My father was a veterinarian and i was raised on a ranch. There were many animals that i nurtured and loved dearly that i had to sell or others who were in pain and suffering that had to be put down. How does an 8 year old girl reconcile leading her pet 4H project that she has cared for and nurtured to the truck that will haul it off to the butcher? But God knew what he was doing because it was that same resilience the girl would rely on as a woman helping the AIDs orphans and widows and dying in Kenya.

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 )

i saw the lawyer today about a legal separation. This is against my will, but i may have to protect myself from satan’s greed. God is changing my seasons. He is closing doors. i must be patient and wait. But i know that wherever God takes me He will have new uses for my hands.

Had it been God’s plan at the end of this month a Kenyan man would have been at a farming workshop and 2 Kenyan women would have been in my home learning to quilt. But as it is at the end of the month i will be packing and moving away from my husband of 31 years.

i found hope in that the disgraced walls of a broken marriage could be rebuilt,

rubble is every materialistic thing i hold trying to decide if it is my husbands or mine, if it should be packed or set aside.

7. Pray over this verse over someone from your small group and intercede: Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes. Nehemiah 4:14 NIV

i praise our God of miracles. That He can take ink on a random page, in a book purchased at random, with a message penned for random people and turn it into His love letter to me every single morning. There has not been a morning when either this study or a devotion selected at random has not met my need for the day perfectly. i praise our God of miracles.

• Mala White says:

SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS WEEK 2
    Mala White
    1. Name people you’ve met and, after getting to know them, realized you’d missed them terribly before they came into your life. In others words, describe a time when you encountered people that supplied something your life was greatly missing. (Page 6)

2. Why is it so vital to have a heart that can break?
    If we remain untouched by the needs of others, we lose opportunities to work for god. I know for myself, having compassion is not always a natural feeling. As I move through this study, I realize that compassion can be developed in us.

Discuss how you filled in your columns: what breaks your heart and where you could be more tender. (Page 14)
    (I haven’t completed that section yet)

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (Page 31)
    The first thought that comes to mind for me is Missions. I feel the Lord would use my skills as a hairdresser, to give of myself to others in need of something as simple as a haircut! I’ve often pictured myself serving in a tent somewhere giving haircuts and speaking of Gods great love for us. It may sound silly, but I can see it!!

4. Have you ever forced a plan or dream that, in retrospect, you realized God’s hand wasn’t on? (Page 40)
    I know I have made MANY incorrect choices and decisions based on my own will. More than I care to admit, I have a difficult time bringing my inquires to the Lord, then having the patience to wait on his answer.

5. Discuss how disgrace can result from a collapsed wall of some kind.
    Currently I am experiencing a collapsed wall within my family unit. My 4th oldest son has been very difficult to raise since middle school. We have decided after many terrible experiences with him, hurt feelings, harsh words, irate behavior and so on, that it would be best for all of us, if he moves out. Now he’s 19 yrs old and has nothing. (Parents who love and care for him) and yet he is unable to live peacefully at home. So we have ALOT of rubble to clear away before the wall can be rebuilt.

THEN, celebrate the reality that walls can be REBUILT. (Page 39)
    With Gods loving hand surrounding my family, as believers, I truly feel that we can come together at some point with forgiveness and changed spirits.

6. What rubble in your life is presently the most discouraging and exhausting? (Page 56)
    I recognize the work that will need to be put in play in order to clean up the wreckage. One by one, love will rebuild.

6. Pray over this verse over someone from your small group and intercede: Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes. Nehemiah 4:14 NIV
    “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome!!!”

• Emily Verdict says:

Wow! So far everything that I have been going through all boils down to the fact that I need to discipline myself in prayer in all things! Also going to God first each and every time. I’m so sensitive to people who are hurting or going through anything in life that keeps them in a devastating state. I’m grateful that God has been keeping me alive do that I can serve and be used for His will to be done. Im so tired of being attacked that I have become angry and bitter. I don’t want prayer I just want to be left alone to soak in my stupid sorrow ahaaa! I laugh to keep from crying boo hoo! I get disappointed so much I’m afraid to step out in faith anymore! Well, since reading Nehemiah I woke up and decided to get out of the pity party and do something about it PRAY! IT’S NOT ABOUT ME! I feel better but I still have aways to go. I know some of it comes from my work schedule which makes it hard to concentrate and my emotions run high so I go into that loner state again. Singleness I love it! Although if God would prefer a husband in my life then I will. If not well I’m totally content without one NO DRAMA YAY!

• Rubble that is most exhausting is all the problems my children have, now that they are grown and have families of their own. Their problems are much bigger now, and I can’t do much other than listen, and pray, and try to give some advice or encouragement. These problems are like rubble, because we have to climb through and over all the problems in order to have some time to talk. This rubble is exhausting even to think about it. As soon as one is over a problem, another is hit. There are financial problems — lost jobs and debt, grandchildren problems in school, illness, disagreements… So exhausting. I wish we could just talk and laugh without dealing with the problems, so many problems. Ugh!

• Kelly says:

The rubble in my life that I am sorting through is actually the aftermath of making too many commitments to others that has caused me much anger and resentment, even though I am the one that made the decision to take on too many tasks and responsibilities. These commitments have taken me away from my family and also from my focus on my own health and well-being. I am not at peace. I have made some decisions to cut back and end some of these obligations, and I am praying for God’s help so that I use my time more wisely and spend it on things that serve Him. I never want to feel the way I feel right now ever again.

1. Name people you’ve met and, after getting to know them, realized you’d missed them terribly before they came into your life. In others words, describe a time when you encountered people that supplied something your life was greatly missing. (page 6)

I did not realize how much I was missing until God introduced me to my good friend Sandy. We each had been praying for a godly friend and met each other at a Women’s Bible study at our church. I had never had a friend that was as interested in and enjoyed the same things as I did, thought the same way I did, and in addition had a deep desire to be in God’s Word, learning and growing. God blessed me beyond measure when He brought the two of us together as friends.

2. Why is it so vital to have a heart that can break? Discuss how you filled in your columns: what breaks your heart and where you could be more tender. (page 14)

My heart is broken for abuse of most any kind. I specifically wrote down elder abuse, child abuse, and animal abuse. I was discomforted when I honestly wrote down the things where I could be more tender; I had no idea I had become so cold and cynical to some things that should break my heart. Break my heart for what breaks your heart, LORD.

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31)

I have a real fondness for the elderly although I don’t have a clear idea of what God may have put in my heart to do in this area yet.

Yes, for as long as I can remember I have had a deep desire to have a home of my own. About 13 years ago, I purchased a house all on my own and it was disastrous. Within a few months I had lost my job and then my son’s father lost his job which ended child support payments and very shortly thereafter I lost the house. I still have a deep longing to have a home of my own but I’m waiting on God this time around…

6. What rubble in your life is presently the most discouraging and exhausting? (page 56)

Finances are definitely the most discouraging and exhausting rubble in my life presently. It seems the harder I try to curb spending and pay off bills the deeper in debt I get. There is always one thing or another coming up throwing a wrench in the plan.

• Gail says:

I need a lot of rebuilding – rebuilding of relationships with my mom and oldest sister. I have a lot of anger and resentment towards them. I believe my mom protects my oldest sister who lives in a “bubble” because she doesn’t want to see the real world; however, when my mom talks to me and my other sister and brother she is most truthful with us. My mom says what she thinks in front of us, but won’t do that in front of my oldest sister. It’s like she is a different person and I am taken as a liar when I mention things my mom has said or done in front of my oldest sister because she doesn’t want to see the truth and it is almost like my mom does not want her to see this side of her.

I need God’s help. This Bible study is convicting me about a lot of things in my life. Can anyone recommend a good book to get past my anger? It is ruining my life.

• bonnie says:

Gail i don’t know if this will help, but when i’m thinking about people who i struggle with i take out a piece of paper that i have written –
      Prayer of St Francis
      Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
      Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
      Where there is injury, pardon.
      Where there is doubt, faith.
      Where there is despair, hope.
      Where there is darkness, light.
      Where there is sadness, joy.
      O Divine Master,
      grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
      to be understood, as to understand;
      to be loved, as to love.
      For it is in giving that we receive.
      It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
      and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
      Amen.

1.I missed my son… which is common, because he was a part of me. Another example is a friend at work. I feel like we are two halves of a whole. She totally gets me…
    2.It is important to have a heart that breaks so that I can show compassion to others. When I lose that ability, I become hard-hearted and cold, even to God. I need to be more compassionate to my family. 3.Be an encourager… look for everyday ways to make others smile. It may be something small, such as “good job” or “beautiful shirt”, but sometimes that’s just what a person needs. It won’t take me a lot of money or time to do this… but it is difficult because I don’t always feel like being encouraging. Sometimes I just want to be the cloud of gloom and doom.
    6.My weight gain and my marriage. I struggle with my weight, and it makes me unhappy. I then carry this into my marriage and other aspects of my life.
    I LOVED this verse. I blogged about it because it is so powerful… we can fight. We don’t have to be a victim, because we are victorious already through Christ Jesus!

• Jennifer Kerby says:

1. My wonderful neighbor Bekah. First off I have never had a neighbor that I chatted with let alone became close friends with. We moved to this house in November and I know God put us here, not only for the great neighbors but other reasons too. When Bekah first came over to say hi I had a feeling we were going to hit it off. Now that summer is here we see eachother everyday and she is such a blessing to me. It feels great knowing I have a neighbor I can shout out to if I need anything, who keeps an eye out for us, or just want to have chat.
    4. Before my husband and I got married we had a few not so great seasons mainly because God was not at the center of our realationship. I tried so hard to keep him close to me he was my focus not God and I wanted so badly to get married but my pushing and neediness just pushed him away and God did not appreciate being ignored. Needless to say my dreams of getting married to James was not what God wanted for us and it almost ruined us for good. Thank goodness God had a plan and got us both refocused and after a season apart we came back together both with God by our side then God decided it was our time to finally get married. Patience is a virtue is what I learned!

• Julie says:

2. I find that my heart does break for things that I have had experienced in my life such as a child with a terminal disease, people that have been through loss of a family member at a young age, women who have been lied and cheated on by their spouses. But those areas that I need to be more tender or those areas where I haven’t experienced personally. I need to open myself to have a tender heart to those that are hurting and need God’s love, understanding and help from those who know God. I need to learn to be sensitive to the pain and surfering of God’s people for things that I have not experienced — being homeless, unemployed, addicts, etc. I can’t be about me!

3.I feel God pulling me towqards supporting women that have suffered a divorce, Those that are still bitter, angry and share with them how they can forgive, that it can be freeing and bring them joy and strength.

4. Anytime that I find myself pushing my plan and not letting God lead, I know that the results are because of my not giving it to God, not letting it be part of his plan — IN HIS TIME. One of the hardest things I have deal with is that I like to be in control and feel comfort when I know the outcome. But FAITH is when you give it God and TRUST that he is taking care of it all.

6.Starting out a new life with 2 kids after 22 years in marriage is exhausting dealing with finances, new friendships, relationships in general. Praying to God for help as I deal with all of these changes.

• Pam says:

1. Name people you’ve met and, after getting to know them, realized you’d missed them terribly before they came into your life. In others words, describe a time when you encountered people that supplied something your life was greatly missing. (page 6 ) Not long after receiving the Holy Ghost I met my husband’s friend’s wife who is a preacher. Besides my husband, I had never met a person who fully exhibits the Christ-likeness that we are supposed to be. It didn’t take long for us to be friends and I have learned so much from her. I strive everyday to be like Christ. She is always there for me to help me pray and see things that I might miss.

3. What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 ) I would love to work in children’s church again and have conferences to help those young children pray and seek the LORD. I also want to teach the Inductive study medthod. I want everyone to know and discover what the BIBLE says about GOD for themselves before reading any commentary.

• Rhoda says:

3. God has put on my heart to be consistent with personal and group Bible Study whether participating or leading. In 2009 I became familiar with First Place 4 Health Bible studies. My husband then was diagnosed with pre diabetes and was overweight close to 200 lbs. I was on the high end of normal and was weighing 136-138 lbs. Adapting a First Place 4 Health lifestyle while doing several Bible studies individually and leading an online group of family and friends has helped us with weight loss while at the same time growing in God’s Word. My husband now weighs 175 and I am consistently weighing 125-128 lbs. I do not participate in Facebook for lack of time but would highly recommend First Place 4 Health Bible studies to the women interested in weight loss. Currently I took a break from doing First Place 4 Health study “Confident
    Living” this summer to do Nehemiah study but will resume to complete it after completing this study.

• Cindy says:

In question 2. It is important to have a heart that can break, because we can go the opposite direction, and lose sensitivity towards the right things, and then have a heart that is not responsive to God. I have been there. I knew it was more important to let God fill my heart with love for people than it was to feel nothing. These are two extremes I know, but when it all comes down to it, for me that what it’s all about.

• Laverne (Missy) says:

Hi Cindy,

I wanted to stop by to say how your words resonated with a past experience and who I use to be. There was a time i had no compassion, this was before I was saved or even knew enough to care. My heart was hard and like you said “Lose of sensitivity” I don’t ever want to be there again numb and angry Not a good place to be.

But now with Jesus and the Holy Spirit dwelling in me there is ALWAYS a smile on my face and in my heart.
      Thanks for reminding me from where I came.

• Laverne (Missy) says:

I’m still struggling with the PERSONAL RESPONSE reflection on page 31: What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 ). Is something wrong with me if I don’t have an answer to this yet? Have I missed something if I don’t know what the Holy Spirit is talking to me about? ummmm

My heart breaks when I hear about child abuse, child hunger (any issues effecting children, animals or the elders)
    But when something is happening with my family friends and people in general my desire to rebuild kicks in. Its vital because Christians/people in relationship with God must now show that they are the light and salt of the world, a breed apart from the rest. The world is not hopeless as long as we turn to God.

• Jennifer Kerby says:

I am having the same challenges trying to figure out what God has put in my heart to do so you are not alone. Although I know I’m supposed to be doing something… I guess we just keep praying.

• Lynne says:

Sometimes we are looking for something specific to jump out at us regarding our mission (such as teaching, singing, leading children’s groups, etc.). Have you thought that perhaps you are already doing what God has put in your heart? I have spent many years jumping from one passion to the next w/o God’s leading because I felt like I was supposed to be doing something major or specific when now looking back realize that all along I was doing what God had called me to do: and that was being a wife & mother. I just didn’t feel that was enough & boy was I wrong. Because I didn’t listen to God & jumped out on my own, I lost my marriage & then my children for a time. I am now in the re-building stages of my walls that were broken down. I cannot redeem my marriage, but I have redeemed my children & our relationship. So I encourage you to look around at what you are doing & see if you aren’t exactly where God wants you to be! 🙂 God bless.

1. Thelma Downie and Gevena Larson, brought so much more faith and prayer into my life. They both open up things I never thought of. They are great woman of God. Thelma brought up this question ” Who cares for God, and who watches over Him”? Thelma thought of the good questions….she is with Him now and can ask Him, I will just have to wait for the answer.

6. Rubble in my life would be….material things to many of them, so I have been trying to weed my rubble out of my life.

• Allison says:

At the urgency of someone I had only just met, I reluctantly joined my 1st Ladies Bible Study. I dutifully ordered the workbook, something called, “Breaking Free” by someone named Beth Moore. (You can see how out of the loop I was). I went to the 1st meeting, with some hesitancy only to “meet” Beth Moore (my age) from Houston, Texas (I grew up in Houston), and married the same length of time as me. Right away, I liked her bubbly personality, her southern accent, her analogies, and her sense of humor. Little did I know that she was “someone I had missed terribly before she came into my life.” She taught me that when you are crippled by low self-esteem and feelings of unworthiness do to childhood victimization, Jesus Christ can help you heal.
    I am still working on developing a feeling of self worth and discontinuing the cycle of self-sabotage. I am finding it through God’s grace and these Bible Studies. I saw this on the internet: , ” I am not what I will be, I’m not what I want to be, but thank God I am not what I used to be.” I thank God for BH for befriending me, inviting me to her church, and urging me to do the Breaking Free. She, and all the ladies in our small group fall into the “people I missed terribly before they came into my life” category

Why is it so vital to have a heart that can break?

Having a heart that breaks for others means it becomes less about me and more about those less fortunate.

I have been judgemental towards those who, through whatever circumstances, find themselves in the ever-growing homeless population.

What has God put in your heart to do? (page 31 )

I have read about Blessing Bags and hope to have some of these ready the next time we have the opportunity to show more compassion and tenderness. Here is a link with a tutorial for how to put together a Blessing Bag. http://kwavs.blogspot.com/2011/05/blessing-bags-how-to.html

My rubble: Procrastination, being unproductive, spending money on things we don’t need, wasting time on TV or computer, “sweating the small stuff”, being unnecessarily impatient and overly critical of my husband, finding excuses not to do what I know God wants me to do…I could go on and on. Praying for the Lord’s help in climbing over many years of rubble.

For BH from our small group: Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes. Nehemiah 4:14 NIV

• Sharon Lewis says:

What a moving week this has been! I know I can’t be content to just exist in my comfortable life any longer. There is so much to do, and God is really dealing with my heart!

1. I have been connected with people who seem to fill an empty place inside of me as if I had always missed them. However, I am feeling that aching need that I am missing people even now, but I don’t know who. More than people who have something to offer me, these are people God has been preparing and equipping me to give something to them. I can’t wait to see what He has in store.

2. When we are moved by a broken heart, we have an unquenchable desire to make a difference.

What breaks my heart? Women in hopeless situations, such as abused, addicted, low self-esteem, in need, downtrodden, don’t know where to turn; children who are also involved in such situations; suffering of any kind.
    Where could my heart be more tender? People who take advantage and think they are entitled, won’t do for themselves, make bad choices and brings problems upon themselves, victim mentalities, chips on their shoulders, energy suckers. They still need God, and my heart needs to be more tender toward them to leed them to a God who can make a difference in their hearts as well.

3. God has laid it on my heart to write, teach, and speak, particularly to women and to young people. I also have a desire to work hands on to minister to their practical needs as well. It is also on my heart to lead a Bible study and to lead worship. God has called me to minister to hearts through music (singing and playing the piano).

4. There was a season in my life that we forced a plan that I’m not sure had God’s hand on it. Perhaps He laid the dream on my heart originally, but it was not executed with His blessings. It a disaster! However, God was still with me and used that time to teach me a great deal and to do so much in my heart.

5. When we have a breach in the walls of our lives, there is shame, or disgrace. Personally, I have experienced the disgrace of divorce, troubled children, food addictions and weight issues, lack of self-esteem, and an unfulfilling career…
    Thank you Jesus for reconciliation and restoration in my life! Thank you for helping me remove the rubble in my life and for rebuilding the walls! Thank you for removing my disgrace and restoring honor to my life! I love you so very much!!!!!!!

6. This was exciting to me because I realized that some of the worst rubble in my life has been resolved just recently. God has improved our financial situation, my relationship with my daughter, my depression and anxiety, and my lack of fulfillment from not working. Other areas of rubble in which He is purging are food addictions and health concerns, habits, insecurities, and procrastination.