Welcome back to the Bible Cafe as we discuss Esther by Beth Moore. We’ve just completed our online Bible study. When you started this study nine weeks ago did you realize the time would pass so quickly? I’m amazed at how Bible study has become a spiritual discipline and enjoy each day that I spend with my Bible. It’s the second time I’ve done this study and the first time I completed it with my small group at church. I still remember the day my group leader brought plastic Princess crowns and asked us to wear them the entire day. We ended our church meeting with a buffet lunch as we watched the movie One Night With the King. I hope you’ll watch it yourself soon…and if you make Haman’s Ears…let me know how they taste!
The theme of this study has been “Its tough being a woman” and a reversal or turn around. Beth Moore touched on these key points in the audio sessions:
- It’s tough being a woman…in another woman’s shadow
- It’s tough being a woman…in a world where beauty is a treatment
- It’s tough being a woman…in a man’s world
- It’s tough being a woman…thrown a giant size weight
- It’s tough being a woman…in the tight fist of fear
- It’s tough being a woman…who can balance passion with patience
- It’s tough being a woman…who feels responsible for the “how”
Source: Esther, by Beth Moore
Like Esther, we’re overshadowed, underrated, overwrought, under qualified, under attack, overanxious and over responsible! Ladies, it’s tough!!! And Beth Moore teaches us, “our trust reverses the detours of adversity into the highways of destiny.”
Write these key scripture verses on an index card or smart phone app, and memorize one each week. Ground yourself in TRUTH.
- 2 Peter 2:9
- Psalm 103:14
- Isaiah 30:18
- Deut 33:29
- Nehemiah 4:14
- Isaiah 49:16
- 1 Peter 5:7
- Deut 23:5
- 1 Tim 1:18, 19
- Eccl 3:11
- Psalm 91:1
Thank you for joining me each week for these small group discussions. Let’s finish with praise reports and prayer requests. Do you have something to share? Post your comment below!
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Homework For The Week
- Register for the next Bible study- Share Jesus Without Fear when you click here
- We’ll be studying Experiencing God by Blackaby in January
Discussion Questions- Discuss with your small group or post a comment below
- On the first day of vengeance 500 men were killed and on the second day 300 more. Was Esther right or wrong in her insistence of a 2nd day of vengeance? What are your thoughts on retributive violence? (page 204)
- The Jews did not commemorate the battle; they celebrated their rest from their enemies. Can you think of a few reasons why this mentality might be healthy? (page 206)
- What does this verse say to you personally (Psalm 16:5 ESV): The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; You hold my lot. (page 208)
- Complete this sentence: You turned my wailing into dancing, you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with ________. (page 210)
- Have you ever been profoundly humbled by a sacrificial gift that someone gave to you? If so, describe the situation. (page 212)
- Create a one sentence synopsis of the Book of Esther by completing this phrase: The Book of Esther is about…. (page 213)
- Would you recommend this study to a friend? Why or why not?
Related Articles for Esther Online Bible Study
Esther Online Bible Study Begins Sept 24, 2012 (sign up here)