Creating a Spiritual Journal for Bible Study

As with each of our online studies, we encourage you to keep a spiritual journal.  You can purchase a journal or create your own. Here are a few samples to help you get started with your first spiritual journal for Bible study.

Stasia has her journal divided into sections labeled Prayer, Memory Verses, Discussion Questions, and What God is Speaking to My Heart.

Stasia’s Method:

1. Memory work. Some I have in my brain, some I do not, all need to be reviewed for me to continue to be resting in the Father’s Loving Embrace on a daily basis. I go through all the verses weekly. I use 3 by 5 cards… which I lost in the move so I have to rewrite them. THIS particular list came from a simple little book called 100 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know. It was a pretty good book.
  2. Front of journal. I move from front to back as a journal so to speak. I use these pages to note what the Lord is showing me. I use MANY post its through out the week… and post them in the pages. At the end of the week I compile them and re write each one into the journal. This give me opportunity to praise the Lord for things that have been resolved by the end of the week, or to just giggle at my own human-ness… (just being honest ladies)
  3. Back of journal. Since the leadership training years ago I move from front to back keeping a journal (like a diary) and from back to front as a prayer journal.. when they meet in the middle I get a new journal
  4. Reminder cards. Cards I keep in the pocket to remind me of WHO God is… (Stasia made these cards for herself)

Michelle has divided spiritual journal by name and prayer needs.

Michelle’s Method:

1. She is using index cards and a binder from Office Depot
  2. She created a section for her husband, herself and each of her kids.
  3. She is dating the requests or “conversation” she is having with God day by day. “I’m not rewriting something that is already there, but I am adding to it as I go along,” she says.
  4. She bought extra large index cards and hole-punched them to fit. She can take them out or move them around and rearrange them .

Sheree has a very simple method. She says, “I wanted to share my simple Spiritual Journal that I setup for my study, for those of you, like me, who still journal the old fashioned way.”

spiritual Journal

“This is just a simple spiral notebook, and you can buy sticky tabs to label the sections of your journal. This spiral notebook came with the multi-colored sticky notes that will be handy to mark your favorite places in the Bible study. The front cover will hold our Scripture memory cards that are found in the back of the Study Workbook. Each week during my daily study, when I open my journal, I will see my Scripture Memory card for that week. Then the next week, I’ll add the next Scripture reference card for that week’s memory work. The first few pages of my journal is labeled “prayer requests,” and it has several pages of “things to do” which is where my prayer requests will go. Just thought I would share this simple tool with you.”

journal

Lastly, I’ve divided mine into daily lessons, weekly summary, prayer requests and small groups. I keep a list of all the women participating in my small groups, and then pray for them by name during the course of the week. I also keep attendance in my groups… and send weekly event reminders to the women who are growing spiritually with me through Bible study.

These are just some of the ideas for creating a spiritual journal, we’d like to hear yours too! Post a comment below and encourage others!

• sarah says:

What is the name Of the study guide open in the picture ?

• Cindy Darnell Shemwell says:

I journal every study. Already have mine ready for Anonymous. But I also have a “God Box”, a file box I painted and decorated with alphabetical dividers that I use for bible verses, concepts that are hard for me to remember (propitiation, lol) and inspirational messages to myself complete with pictures, washi tape and lots of art work. It really helps me and it’s pretty to sit around.

• Mary Ann M says:

Sheree’s looks like my SCRAPS Journal. I love the notebooks that come with post it flags and tabs.

• Update: I moved my prayers into a simple prayer box, read about it here: https://www.womensbiblecafe.com/2014/12/prayer-box/

• Barbara C says:

I read your post on the Prayer Box a while back and have one for my prayer time this year. It is still evolving and being adapted to what works for me (I think whatever method you use to journal or keep prayer requests etc. needs to be what works for you!) I am starting to really love it.

• Sallye says:

I have discovered that journaling is a very personal thing, and what may work for one can be confusing and over whelming for someone else. The simplest way to start is to just buy a journal and start writing. You can write your prayers out, scripture that you are memorizing, anything at all, because it first has to become a discipline that you are comfortable with on a day to day basis. I have several journals that were started and dropped, started and dropped. I then decided to add journaling time to my quiet time each day, and over the years I have seen it become my confidante, and something that I miss if something is going on and I have to skip a couple of days. Just like your quiet time, this has to fit you, it has to be something that is easy to do, and not a chore.

• Jayme says:

Thank you for sharing your journal ideas. I’m a visual person so it helps to see examples.

• Molly says:

I have created a journaling/study system for binders that some of you may love! Here is the link to check it out and get easy printables for yourself!

• Sande says:

I love all of your ideas. Can you share where you bought the binder? Love the cover.

• Debbie Eckmier says:

Just wanted to let you all know about a great yahoo group for Christian gals that focuses on journal keeping – lots of great discussion about journaling in general but also how to’s about keeping a spiritual journal. Check out Christian Journaling on yahoogroups.com 🙂

• Carla Brooks says:

Thanks for sharing Christine!

• Bonnie Stonebraker says:

I copied Michelle’s idea for the Prayer Journal….may add a journal section along with memory verses section to get it all covered in one place since I have a couple of empty tabs right now. I’m using a spiral notebook to answer the questions. For some reason I’m not wanting to write in the book this time around….maybe coz I haven’t gotten it spiral bound yet…..Once that is done it will be easier to write answers and notes in….

• Wendy Mantilla says:

Thank you all for sharing such great ideas! I’ve been needing to create a new spiritual journal for some time now. (I’ve been writing in the margins and putting post-its over older stuff – just plain crazy!) You all have given me the motivation to make a new one this week. Thank you again!

• Love these 🙂 I am inspired and would love to hear of other ideas.

• Samele Thorner says:

I never thought to write front to back and back to front…genius!