Welcome back to online Bible study for women as we continue Wonderstruck by Margaret Feinberg. This week we’re discussing week five from the workbook, and we have two more weeks to enjoy! Our focus this week is on the wonder of friendships. It’s one of those times when I wish we were meeting at a local church or in my home, so we could sit together and do the fun exercise Margaret suggests on page 108 in the workbook. Imagine the conversation! While we are gathered around the world for our online study, you might still enjoy asking those questions from your local friends. Make a lunch or coffee date this week with one of your friends or someone you’d like to know better. Tell her “I’m working through a Bible lesson on friendship, do you mind if we share our answers to these questions?” Then pull out the list of seven questions from page 108 and discover your joy in friendships!
As you read the five daily lessons from Wonderstruck this week, you learned about healthy and unhealthy friendships. Margaret even challenged you to set some friendships in order with “The Difficult Conversation” TDC.
The most powerful lesson this week is the reminder that Jesus is the only Friend we ever need. I lived this personally when a friend had her own version of TDC and said she was breaking the friendship. Looking back, she never offered me the opportunity to correct my behavior that offended her, she simply walked out. During my season of grief, I prayed and asked God why this happened….then I heard that small soft voice in the back of my mind. “Because Jesus is the only friend you need.” I searched scripture and learned that His own friends abandoned Him, King of Kings. I started talking to my Friend, giving Him my worries, and seeking His opinion instead of my friends,. It was the most refreshing dry season of my life. Eventually the Lord replaced my friend with more friends, rooted in Love.
God is good, always!
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please visit the page during the week and pray for these women who are asking for your help. If you have a prayer request, post a comment on the wall.
For Next Week
- Read Week Six in your book.
- Listen to Video Session Six (optional due to cost)
- Check in with your Small Group for prayer requests and fellowship
Group Discussion- Answer below or with your small group
- When have you felt the pain of unrequited friendships? (page 110)
- What three things should we look for in identifying the good company we need to keep? (page 113)
- Who in your life has been a Paul to you (a spiritual mother or father) encouraging you to grow in your relationship with Jesus? Page 117)
- Who in your life are you being a Paul to…encouraging them to grow in the fullness of being a follower of Jesus? (page 117)
- What are some suggestions on how to short-circuit gossip? Three are already mentioned in the book on page 121.