Welcome to the Power of God’s Names online Bible study! We’ll be spending the next seven weeks together as we discover the meaning of God’s names and their application for our lives today. We’re using The Power of God’s Names Member Book by Tony Evans for this online Bible study.
In Bible times a person’s name communicated their character, nature and so much more. We can clearly see this in the life of Jacob, whose name means ‘deceiver’. More than once we find Jacob manipulating events for his own benefit. It is also no coincidence that the Children of Israel enjoyed great peace under the reign of King Solomon, whose name is derived from “Shalom”, meaning peace.
This is why in the scriptures we see that God revealed Himself through dozens of names. Indeed, it would be impossible to express all of the fullness of God’s character and His incredible works in just a single name. Dr Evans says,
Because of God’s depth of character, He has a name to reflect His different attributes and capacities for relating to humanity.
Over the next seven weeks we will be studying some of God’s Wonderful names and the attributes that they carry along with them. Each week we will have time to review the study together in our small groups by answering discussion questions like the ones below. Through faith and fellowship with one another, we will be encouraging one another to deepen our understanding of The Lord and how He works in our lives. It will be amazing.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK
- Write a letter to God on the inside cover of your workbook. In your letter express some of the things you are hoping to learn during your study of The Power of God’s Names.
- Read Week One in your workbook. If you have not received your book yet, you can download Chapter One. Member Book Sample
- Download the answers to the viewer guide.
- OPTIONAL: Watch Video Session One (optional due to cost)
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK (share answers in small groups)
- When do you intend to take time to do your study? morning, evening or another time? Do you have a special place where you enjoy your time of reflection and study best?
- Dr Evans says that “This study will show you that God has a name for any and every situation you find yourself in.” What situations do you find yourself in that you long for more of His grace and power in your life?”
- Dr Evans shares that names in the Bible carried purpose, authority, nature, and character.What was your most common nick name growing up and how did you feel about it?
- Each lesson in our study has a five-day format. You’ll need a Bible and a notebook or journal to write in. Do you find time to write your devotional reflections in a journal or diary and if so how do you feel after your express yourself?
- What is one thing you’d like this group of women to know about you?
Welcome to Online Bible Study!