Welcome back to online Bible study at the Women’s Bible Café. This week we’ll be discussing Week One of Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby. Hopefully you’ve completed Week One in your Experiencing God workbook – but if you haven’t do not despair! You can always get caught up this week. It’s not too late to join this online Bible study – all small groups are open attendance and everyone is invited to participate. To register for the study please CLICK HERE.
We realize that our small group discussions can seem a bit chaotic at first. You will find that things calm down this week as the women settle into their groups. To find a small group check the small group schedule CLICK HERE.
Each week we present a summary of the lesson and group discussion questions for you to answer in your small group and in your spiritual journal. You can also post your answers here if you wish.
Week One’s lesson is entitled “God’s Will and Your Life.” Your memory verse for the week is John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” This verse sets the stage for our study – we must experience God in order to bear “fruit” in our Christian lives. We need to join God where He is and stay connected to “the vine” by becoming more aware of where He is working around us and joining Him. Take some time to mediate on this verse. Memorize it if you can. Think about how it applies to your life and what you can do to stay connected to the vine on a daily basis.
This week we were introduced to “The Seven Realities of Experiencing God”. You will see these again and again throughout the study. This week you started to meditate on them and memorize them. Hopefully, you wrote them in your spiritual journal.
The 7 Realities of Experiencing God by Henry & Richard Blackaby
(insert your name into the realities and journal this)
- God is always working around (your name).
- God pursues a continuing love relationship with (your name) that is real and personal.
- God invites (your name) to become involved with Him in His work.
- God speaks to (your name) through the Bible, prayer, circumstances and the Church to reveal Himself, His purpose and His ways to (your name).
- God’s invitation for (your name) to work with Him always leads to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action.
- (your name) must make major adjustments in her life to join God in what He is doing.
- (your name) will come to know God by experience as she obey’s Him, and He accomplishes His work through (your name).
Read these realities and meditate on them as you complete this Bible study. A very powerful exercise you may want to do is to write the realities into your spiritual journal inserting your name into each of the realities. For example: God is always at work around (your name). God pursues a continuing love relationship with (your name) that is real and personal. Try it and see what you think! Also try writing the examples you see each day of God working around you in your life. Use this exercise to increase your awareness of God’s presence in the world around you.
Flashback: 1995. Carla was a new Christian, having come to know the Lord a year earlier. She had been baptized and was excited to take her new found faith to a new level. The initial excitement of being saved had started to wear off a bit. She wanted to know “Now what, Lord?” She knew that her Christian friends talked about growing in their faith all the time. They read the Bible and met in small groups. Carla’s church was offering a new Bible study called Experiencing God. She signed up hoping this might be the key to learning how to keep her faith alive, growing and exciting. She hoped this would be the key to discovering how to truly experience God in her life. It was… (continued next week)
ASSIGNMENTS for the WEEK:
- Join a small group for study and fellowship. We meet in this Facebook Group. Send a request to “Join Group” and the leaders will approve you: http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCSmallGroups/
- Complete Week 2 in your Experiencing God workbook.
- Optional: Watch the Session 2 video or listen to the audio.
- Record your thoughts in your Spiritual Journal.
Did you get started on a Spiritual Journal this week? It is a great place to record your thoughts on the lesson and your answers to the week’s discussion questions. Instructions for how to set up your Spiritual Journal are on pg. 271 in your workbook.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK
answer in your small group or post your answers here
- What are you doing in your life personally and what is your church doing that you know cannot be accomplished unless God intervenes (p. 19)?
- What would you do if God called you into His purpose today? Would you be prepared? Would you question Him or would you drag your feet?
- Blackaby says “What God initiates, God completes.” What has God initiated in your life?
- How did you see God working around you this week? Share an example.
- What does God want you to learn from your reading this week?
I truly hope that this study is life-changing for you as it has been for me. Exciting things happen when you are studying Experience God so hold on tight and enjoy the ride. Remember “The goal is not to finish the course but to have a life-transforming encounter with God.” (pg. 10)
See you next week!