Are you growing in wisdom with this online Bible Study? We’re discussing Week Four from the “Entrusted” study by Beth Moore and the material seems to be getting better and better each week. Kudos for your perseverance and determination to become women who are CALLED to a PURPOSE. Keep reading through the final week and you’ll be equipped for your calling. Make sure you attend the live small groups during the week as you learn from our 40 volunteer leaders and the other women who are also reading the same weekly lessons you’re reading. There is much love when we study in community! I’ve heard several women say that this is their favorite week of the study so far. It’s so powerful that I hope you will not be too busy and skip it!
We learned 18 characteristics that represent Christians (plus the 19th). In the last days according to Second Timothy 3:2-5 (ESV) people will be:
- lovers of self
- lovers of money
- disobedient to their parents
- without self-control
- not loving good
- swollen with conceit
- lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
- having the appearance of godliness
Beth Moore explains these characteristics will increase in intensity and occurrence, therefore we must ask ourselves if we’re seeing them more and more in our lifetimes. I’d like to suggest writing these down on an index card or into your phone app to become more attentive to them. Measure them now in your present season and revisit them once a year to see if anything has increased in intensity.
Study. Connect. Grow.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Read Week Five “Fulfill Your Ministry” in the study book. We will discuss this NEXT week.
- (optional): Continue writing out 2 Timothy in the back of your study book and/or memorizing the verses
- (optional): Session five and six video/audio http://www.lifeway.com/Product/entrusted-video-sessions-individual-use-m00000492
- Download entrusted-answers-to-video-sessions and use to fill in blanks in your study book
- Come meet the women in this study when you join a small group meeting: http://www.facebook.com/groups/WBCSmallGroups/
Tweet or Facebook Share with Hashtag #EntrustedStudy
- “Sometimes the Word of God has to offend our sensibilities to defend our honor.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
- “Make no mistake, we do get to choose the kind of people we’re going to be.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
- “If we boldly love Jesus we will boldly seek Him, boldly serve Him, boldly obey Him, boldly trust Him, boldly share Him, boldly endure in Him through hardship and suffering, and boldly forgive when we’re offended.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
- “Beware of instant intimacy, of relationships that go from zero to one hundred overnight. Healthy relationships take time. They respect boundaries.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
- “Guard your heart. Guard your home. Guard your body. These shields interlock to guard your calling.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
- “We get to make a decision today. We get to decide who we are not going to be.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
- “Show me someone who deeply loves the Lord and I’ll show you someone who has known His rescue.” Beth Moore #EntrustedStudy
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Your WBC small group leaders may use some or all of these discussion questions this week.
- What part of the last days promised future in Revelation 21:1-6 consoles or encourages you right now: wipe away every tear, death no longer exists, grief/crying/pain no longer exist, God will live with us? (page 116)
- There are 18 characteristics of end times humanity recorded in Second Timothy 3:2-5 (ESV): For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Which of these do you see notably increased today, in 2016? (page 122)
- We learned about weak-willed women and strong-willed women in our reading this week. How would you define them in your own words? Which one are you? (page 126-128)
- Timothy followed nine dimensions of Paul’s life: his teaching, his conduct, his aim in life, his faith, his patience, his love, his steadfastness and his persecutions/sufferings. Now…what dimensions are YOU following from YOUR mentor? Second part of this question, if you mentor others, what dimensions are YOU modeling to your mentee? (page 131)
- How has God equipped you to serve? What giftedness do others see in you? Have you ever completed a spiritual gifts test? (page 133)
- What are the most important things you’d want to impart to someone you are mentoring? If you are being mentored, what do you hope to learn from your mentors? (page 140)
- People who do not find connection or relationship in the words of the Bible often say “It just doesn’t do anything for me.” I want you to say this to yourself right now: “He just doesn’t do anything for me.” How does it feel different to call the author of the Bible “He” instead of “It?” Is the Holy Spirit a person? Let’s chat! (page 141)
APPLY WHAT YOU LEARN
- JOURNAL: We studied birth pains this week. Take some time and imagine your own birth and journal your thoughts. Was your birth met with excitement and joy, or did your parents have a negative expectation. How can you rewrite that experience knowing that the Lord planned the exact date and time for you to breathe your first breath on earth?
- JOURNAL: Looking at the current US presidential election, do you see any of the characteristics of Second Timothy 3:2-5 in the candidates, supporters, or news media? Journal your thoughts.
- ACTIVITY: Find another person and have a discussion about the Bible this week. Discuss when you first started reading it and when you felt a heart connection to the Word. Elaborate your thoughts.
- ACTIVITY: Dig into theology a bit more. How is the Holy Spirit interpreted in history and different faiths? What does your pastor teach (look for a sermon on Acts)? Do you know the Holy Spirit as a Person, third member of the trinity?
- ACTIVITY: Complete the chart on page 131 in your study book.
Praying for illumination of your calling as we complete this study together! I’ll see you in the small groups this week!