New online bible studies are starting August 29, 2011 and one is called The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James.We’re excited to have ministry leader Shannon Barr lead this bible study here at the Womens Bible Cafe. In order to participate in this 6-week bible study, you’ll need a copy of the book, available at Amazon or a Christian bookstore. In this book we discover that Naomi, the female Job, is the center of the story. According to the author, the story of Ruth is about how Boaz and Ruth “formed a glimpse of the Old Testament Blessed Alliance, as male and female partner in a holy cause, and both thrive as Yahweh’s image bearers.” The story begins with Naomi’s suffering and ends with Naomi holding the future in her arms. It examines this question: Is God good for women?
This is a book format with study questions at the end of each chapter, so we recommend a notebook or journal to record your answers. Once a week on Monday we’ll have an online discussion of The Gospel of Ruth. You’ll read your book at home two chapters each week, answer the study questions, and then join us on Monday’s to participate in a group discussion. There is no set time for the discussions, just show up and participate! We recommend you register for the Womens Bible Cafe by email so you’ll know when the discussion has started.
If you are new to online bible study, please Read the Bible Cafe Getting Started Page
Reading Schedule for The Gospel of Ruth
- August 29, 2011- Launch day, start reading ‘NIV Text of Ruth” and “Introduction: What Women Want to Know”
- September 6, 2011- Discuss Introduction, start reading chapters 1 and 2
- September 12, 2011- Discuss Chapters 1 and 2, start reading chapters 3 and 4
- September 19, 2011- Discuss Chapters 3 and 4, start reading chapters 5 and 6
- September 26, 2011- Discuss Chapters 5 and 6, start reading chapters 7 and 8
- October 3, 2011- Discuss Chapters 7 and 8, start reading chapters 9 and 10
- October 10, 2011- Discuss Chapters 9 and 10
How to Participate in the The Gospel of Ruth Online Bible Study
- Get a copy of The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James
- Introduce yourself: Post a comment below with your name, where you are from, and answer to this question- What is your favorite memory from Summer 2011?