Lies Women Believe Online Bible Study Week 10

Welcome back to womens online bible study as we finish Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I did not want to write this today because I’ve been so blessed by the study and the women in my small group… I don’t want it to end! We’ve examined 40 lies women believe and we looked at numerous scripture Truths to counter the lies. Week by week Nancy has challenged us to look for the lies we’ve been living by. Her summary in chapters ten and eleven really pull this study together!

During the bible study we saw how the enemy sets traps and tangles us with his lies. We also gained freedom from bondage by studying scripture. The two major points of our study were:

1. Believing lies places us in bondage
  2. The truth has the power to set us free

Our bondage begins when we accept the lie and allow the enemy to rule over our thoughts. Our freedom is claimed when we stand firm in scripture.

When Jesus spoke in scripture he spoke of the truth.  He even equipped us with the Spirit of Truth!

• Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! John 8:45 NIV
  • Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? John 8:46 NIV
  • But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. John 16:13 NIV
  • He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. James 1:18 NIV

Jesus came to teach because so many were misled by religious leaders and rituals, they did not recognize the Truth when they saw Him.  “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 NIV

To know the truth we need to know Jesus. To know Jesus, we need to read scripture. If you’re using the Companion Guide then you had the experience of writing out the truths and corresponding scripture verses. Putting the words on paper, in my own handwriting, was a moving experience for me. As I wrote across the page I imagined the same words written into my heart. It was quite powerful! I then identified the truths I needed to claim most and printed them on a card with the related scripture verse. I’ll meditate and memorize them so I’m more resistant to deception.

Speak truth into your hearts. Stay in relationship with Jesus.

If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:31-32 NIV

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer.

• Pray for the women who are still completing this study
  • Check in with your Small Group Leader

Group Discussion- Answer ONE question or as many as you like

1. Look at the 40 lies in the table of contents for the book Lies Women Believe. During the course of this study, which lies have deceived you most? How have these lies kept you in bondage?
  2. What truths do you need to claim today?
  3. If you were to write a scripture verse from this study and carry it with you, which verse would you select?
  4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

Have a great week…share what you have learned with others as you walk in Truth!

God is good…always!

• Carin says:

Yeah, I finished!!!

My favorite chapter was “Dealing with our circumstances”. Accepting our circumstances, Purpose in suffering and gaining an eternal perspective was what I needed!

If we fail to see the hand of God we will be vulnerable to confusion, frustration, bitterness AND Anger!

My verse that I will carry around is this
    1 Peter 3:1617-(NIV)
    16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil

• Sylvia says:

the truth that I need to claim today is that I am complete and accepted by Christ. I don”t have to be sad that perhaps I have been rejected by people in my life. I don”t have to perform great feats for people in order for them to accept me, approve of me or like me.

The verse that goes along with this truth is Ephesians 1:4-6. This is the verse and I claim and would carry around with me.

• Carol says:

The whole book opened my eyes to the lies the enemy hurls at us. But the chapers dealing with Emotions and Circumstances got my attention.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes, I would definitely recommend this bible study to anyone. I am glad they came out with a youth version and can prepare young women to make godly choices based on the word of God. They would be better prepared to deal with life based on the what the Bible states. I wish I had this book twenty years ago when I first became a Christian, it would have prepared me to make better choices in my life.

Thank you again for being my teacher, Christine which I enjoy your godly insights. Also, Jennifer for keeping track and encouraging us during this bible study, too.

• Ginger says:

Someone recommended this study a few years ago. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to take part in it. I have recommended this study to many woman over the course of the study. The author certainly gets you to think about beliefs that we have about ourselves. I know I was challenged throughout this study, which is a great thing.

• Connie - Arkansas says:

YES this study was well worth the time & effort and I highly recommend it!
    The chapters that hit home the most with me were Emotions & Circumstances. I’m so sorry for the lost time in my life while I believed the lies, but very thankful for God’s peace that He is a God of Restoration and what I have learned & lived can be utilized to help bring His freedom to others.
    Thank you Christine for being our small group leader – it has meant alot to me too!

• Nannette B. says:

I highly recommend this bible study! I am behind reading my book but plan on getting caught up! 🙂

• Yes, I would recommend this study to others. I have been set free from many of the lies I believed and have grown as the Lord has ministered to my heart through this study. I feel very blessed to have had such a great leader and am now looking forward to the next study.

• Nickie says:

I was not disapointed with this study. I picked up the book a year ago at Annies book store.. It was by Gods hand that you were doing the study and I had the book. The last two chapters were my favorite. I think I read it twice… God has so many promises for us, we just have to search for them and ask God to reveal them to us… thank you for putting in the time and effort into the study. blessing to you all.

• I love the truth– “through the power of His Holy Spirit, God will enable me to do anything He commands me to do!”
    Hebrews 13:5 “We can be content in every circumstance.”
    This is an excellent study. I wish I had read it 35 years ago!

• NANCY says:

#4 – I would definitely recommend this study to anyone and everyone! Unfortunately, I fell behind last week, but I am so glad I took part in the online study and will always feel blessed to have Christine as a guide through it all!