Fingerprints of God Online Bible Study Week 3

Welcome back to womens online bible study as we study Fingerprints of God by Jennifer Rothschild. What another amazing week as we learned of His redeeming touch on our lives. My hope is that you connected the study with your personal life and realize that God’s touch applies to you…not just Jennifer Rothschild, women in ministry or someone you admire. His touch and His fingerprints are all over your life too!!

“Gotcha Day” on our first day of study was such a powerful message. I’ve always reminded myself of the day I became “His” and accepted the love of a Father for His daughter. I’d lost my way on a prodigal journey and the LORD carried me home on His shoulders just like a little lamb.  When I returned, God signed His name into my heart and I knew I was a Daughter of the King. As a member of His family, I will never let the enemy steal my joy again. We’re not orphaned because God abandoned us, we’re orphaned because in our sin we turned away from God.

This week in bible study I was able to embrace my adoptive status and it just took my breath away! Did you have a similar experience when you recognized that you are chosen…handpicked by God? Are you able to look back at your “life before God” and see how far you’ve come under His parenting style? Jesus said “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit —fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. ” John 15:16 NIV

On page 47 in the workbook Jennifer Rothschild asked us to write a job description for ideal parents. Here’s what I wrote:

Perfect parents wanted. Must be flexible and patient, willing to listen with a loving heart. Must be available 24 hours day or night, attentive to the needs of your children. Requires skills of teaching, healing, mending, cleaning, directing and guiding.

For fun, I rewrote it to describe God. Here’s how it looks now:

Perfect Father arrived. God is flexible and patient, willing to listen to His daughter with a loving heart. God is available 24 hours day or night via the Holy Spirit and through prayer. He is attentive to my every need. He has the skills of teaching me His will, healing my past sins, mending my relationships, cleaning my emotional wounds, directing me into Christ-like behaviors and guiding my daily decisions. Others need not apply!

How can we not express our gratitude to the LORD for His amazing love! We’re often too distracted to notice the small things in life, simple pleasures from above. This week I hope you’ll take Jennifer’s advice and give thanks to God. One of my favorite books is One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp as she shares her own journey of thankfulness. She writes

Trust is the bridge from yesterday to tomorrow, built with planks of thanks. Remembering frames up gratitude. Gratitude lays out the planks of trust. I can walk the planks –from known to unknown- and know: He holds. Ann Voskamp

Count blessings and discover Who can be counted on. Ann Voskamp

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer.

Homework For Next Week

• Read Week Four  in your book.
  • Watch  Video Session Four (optional due to cost) The video answers are in the back of your book in the “leaders guide”
  • Optional: Join us  on Monday’s at 6:00 PST/ 9:00 EST in a Facebook “live” chat hosted by Lakecia and some of your small group leaders. This is optional because of the many time zones and not everyone uses Facebook. To join the group –click here.
  • Check in with your Small Group Leader.

Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below

1. Share your own story of “Gotcha Day.”
  2. Share your job description and if you want, rewrite it as you see God’s role in your life.
  3. What can you do to express gratitude this week?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. When Jennifer had her aha moment.

• Carin says:

Share your own story of “Gotcha Day.”
    My gotcha day is hard to describe. I expected a RUSH but didn’t get that. I don’t even remember what day it was. I remember the year was 1994 but as I describe it I was a bucket of MUD. It took many years to fill that mud with fresh water until it was finally empty of the mud and a bucket of clear water. I have never felt that clean living water until the last few years. Ever since I have been in God’s word everyday.

Since I am not a parent it is hard for me to write a description. I think if I had children I would be more inclined to remember & say “I remember I said I would never do that if I had kids”.
    I remember my dad never being there. My love language being quality time. I never got that with my dad.

What can you do to express gratitude this week?
    I just recently signed off Facebook. I found it was an empty way of communicating with people. I am grateful for not losing our home & want to call & invite people to enjoy the things that could have been taken away from me when my husband was unemployed. I want “face to face- book”. I felt I was connecting only with people in a short manner & not quality time that I so much enjoy.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.
    That I realized my dad never gave me quality time. I now realize that I didn’t give my heavenly father quality time. I have learned this through studies like this. Grateful that these on-line studies have given me that opportunity to give that to my heavenly father.

• Carrie S says:

What can you do to express gratitude this week?

Have daily conversations with the Lord. And remind Him how much I love him.

• AdeleAlys says:

4) My favorite moment was picturing God’s seal of ownership on my life. At first I set about imagining an elaborate and beautiful forest complete with a flowing stream ( i e living water). Then it occurred to me, I am already wearing the seal, which is a scar from Open Heart Surgery in 2002 to remove a benign tumor. God literalized Psalm 51 and created in me a clean heart!

• Andi B says:

My “Gothcha Day” was preceded by a pretty long stint where I had immersed myself in some pretty shadowy stuff… channeling, “communicating” with “spirits” and other such…
    I met the woman who first talked to me about Jesus in college and she listened to all of what I’d done and told me all of what He’d done in her life. She didn’t call me crazy… she just listened and shared.
    About a week after she gave me the gospel, I was driving home and hearing the chatter of whatever demons, spirits, elementals, whatever, so loudly!!!!! I pulled over and said: “Jesus, I don’t know if you’re who they say you are, but if you are, please make them STOP!”
    The next thing I heard was silence… for the first time in years.

Job desciption: this parent always knows where His child is and always cares. He protects His child from danger, celebrates His child’s victories and comforts her when she is hurt. He is patient and always believes in His child. He loves playing and laughing with her and He loves her unconditionally.

I try to express gratitude by being kind, even when I’m frustrated or hurt. It works… usually…

I had a few asterisks on my study book this week… but the final paragraph of the study near brought me to tears… ever time I read it. I hope I can reflect His light until it is “indistinguishable from the glorious light of (His) presence.”

• Christine Smith says:

I like this study because it reminds us of when and how we were adopted into the family of Christ. 🙂

• Andi B says:

I agree! I’ve been loving this study but had forgotten all about how I came to know God. I was very grateful to be asked to remember… and I’m very grateful I was adopted!!!!

• Jackie says:

Gotcha day, difficult to pinpoint because, my parents started going to church when I was 1. Went every Sunday and Wednesday night. However, my parents weren’t very “christian”. We didn’t read the Bible, or talk about God. I know I felt tremendous peace when I entered the church. When I was 10, we went to a Billy Graham crusade and at the end of it, I wanted so badly to go up for the alter call, but my parents didn’t so neither did I. I got baptized (sprinkled) when I was 12, I remember telling my mom I was tired of being half a christian. Then I became a teenager, stopped going to church, started following “the crowd.” My life was miserable. I felt so lost and alone. Finally at 19 or 20, a coworker gave me a tract, and I accepted Christ,right then and there. I felt like I was coming home.

• Sharon Lewis says:

I have had a personal relationship with God since I was a little girl, but what a tremendous reminder of the fact that He chose me and adopted me as his daughter. Now that I have kids (and a grandchild) of my own, I understand that unconditional love and acceptance in a new a more profound way. This builds confidence in my spirit that I am accepted and loved fully and unconditionally.

A moment that spoke to me was to think about my relationship with my earthly father and how that related to my relationship with God. My dad is a man of honor and has always been above reproach in every way. It was easy to respect him because he always gave us reason to. However, he was always distant, and I can see how that has effected my understanding of intimacy with my Heavenly Father. It makes sense to me now why I have struggled in this area. That is also why Day 4 was so significant for me. I needed to understand and recognize how God draws us near to Himself. I needed to feel the closeness of His love in a deeper way, and this week has helped me in that.

I also loved Day 5 in that the perspective of a grateful heart can make such a difference in our lives. His touch can redeem every deficit in our lives. I can see how embracing an attitude of gratitude can shine a light in all the dark places. I choose to show my gratitude to God by expressing it verbally in prayer as well as meditating on His goodness in my heart. I will choose to look at my circumstances through the lense of thankfulness.

• Christine Smith says:

Great perspective on your earthly father. It speaks volumes into your desire to draw near to God, as He draws near you.

• 1. Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder……..as a child, I don’t remember my parents being particularly religious. I don’t remember even talking with them about God much. But, somehow, someway, God chose me as a little child and put His stamp on my life. He protected me from so many things. Like I said…….I just shake my head and wonder…….
    2. Everyday of my life…..now…..I am thankful to be alive. Sometimes my heart just bubbles with praise to my God. There has been so much going on in my life in the last year, but God has countered it with amazing love and grace.

• rhonda says:

The line that stuck with me was on page 42.
    This disciplined, biblically literate man was eager to be good but not willing to risk being God’s.

Do I try so hard to be good that I miss the adventure of being God’s because I won’t go outside my comfort zone? Do I get in His way when I try to do it right instead of letting His grace and strength shine through me?

• Anne Maxwell says:

God got me a very long time ago when I was a child for which I am grateful for. He is always there for us. Loved looking thru Ephesians 1:3-14 and listing the 10 words that describes our lives now
    Blessing
    Focus of His love
    Made whole, holy, adopted
    Lavish gift giving
    Free of penalties and punishment
    Abundantly free
    Purpose
    Hope
    And Romans 6 describing life as Gods adopted child adventurously expectant greeting God with what’s next papa

John 17:23
    I love you just as much as I love Jesus -wow
    Gods love is amazing
    Anne Maxwell

• I love this study and have felt touched by God on a daily basis. I am now taking more time to be with God and am trying to concentrate on gratitude everyday for the many blessings I have been given. My new motto: No pity, just be thankful!

Short this week, my gratitude I that I am a daughter of a King and He loves me for who I am.

• Laverne (Missy) says:

Once again the realization of this just made me PAUSE! What adopted……….perfect analogy……….So far I’m embracing with a new confidence the fact that God spoke creation and touched me, as I believe LIVING WATER is MINE, and now I’m handpicked by our Father. This study on the close of week 3 has left me REFRESHED and RENEWED and I am grateful.

Christine I like your ad for a parent, but what touched me was the part when you say “willing to listen with a LOVING heart” so very important.

Just to share here’s my job description for the ideal parent:

Parental GODIANCE (spelling is correct) hee-hee
    Requirement is to have a love of the Lord, an understanding that your time is not yours. You must be comfortable with sacrifice and humble.
    If this sounds like you come and let’s test your spirit together.
    God bless

• Christine Smith says:

This week’s lesson had the same effect on me…I just had to stop and meditate on the powerful message. I like your job description 🙂