Knowing God By Name Online Bible Study Week 5

Welcome back to womens online bible study as we discuss Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. We’ve just finished reading week five in our books and we learned about the splendor of God. Our study began with a discussion of the northern lights, also known as aurora borealis. We found this video from National Geographic via YouTube and selected it because it has more than a million views…it’s a visual example of splendor.

“We are motivated to pursue that which we find most attractive,” writes Mary Kassian. She used the example of how we decorate our homes and wear clothes that make us feel attractive. When we seek a vacation destination, the most beautiful locations are always at the top of list. We want to relax in the splendor of His creation and spend time reflecting on it.

God shines bright, He is warmth and radiance in our dark world.

He delights in His children…and deserves our praise. Here’s a praise video we thought you would enjoy:

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.

Homework For The Week

• Read Week Six  in your book
  • Optional: Join us  on Monday’s at 6:00 PST/ 9:00 EST in a Facebook “live” chat hosted by Lakecia and fellowship with the other women participating in this study. This chat is optional because of the different time zones and not everyone uses Facebook. To join the group –click here.
  • Check in with your Small Group Leader.

Online Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below

1. Give an example of when you’ve observed the splendor of God.
  2. Do you believe God can be both good and terrible at the same time? (page 113 )
  3. How do you praise the Lord? What can you do to praise Him more wholeheartedly or more completely? (page 119 )
  4. Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.

• Jennifer Kerby says:

1. I live in Western Washington and on the evenings I am driving home from work I get to view Mt. Rainier like it is guiding me home. The road I take seems makes me feel I am right in front of that grand mountain even though in reality it is still far away from me. It is a beautiful comfort to drive home towards.

2. Yes! If we didn’t fear Him he wouldn’t be Most High. I love that the Awesome actually means terrible. I have really overused that word and I am glad I can now use it in proper context.

• Christine Smith says:

I love the image of the mountain on your drive each time.

I can so relate yet not on such a grand scale. I live in Eastern Kentucky, in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains (although they aren’t huge mountains). When I travel to Central Kentucky, which is much flatter, there is one spot on my way home where the mountains in the distant become visible. It makes me feel like I’m home, even though I’m driving in my car =)

To me, visiting the beach is observing the splendor of God. There’s something about those waves crashing on the sand that just makes me feel insignificant. The beach (even though I only go once a year) is the place I probably feel the closest to God. Closer to home: a rainbow in the sky, the dew or rain on bright green trees, a sunset that is radiant and pink. The smile on a toddler’s face. God’s splendor is everywhere once you open your eyes.

I really enjoyed the lesson on praise. I don’t praise Him enough. Sometimes as I’m driving down the road listening to worship music His Spirit is just so sweet… but I don’t get still often enough to experience that all the time. He is SO worthy of my praise!

I finished Week 5 in time but just now am able to post. Crazy, crazy week so I’m running behind on Week 6. I’m sure it’ll be just on time, though. God’s good that way =)

• Sheree Poole says:

I love the first question, “Give an example of when you’ve observed the splendor of God.” I have witnessed so many wonders and splendors displayed by God, and it’s hard to pick just one. So, the first thing that came to my mind was a brilliant lightning storm on one particular dark night. During a thunderstorm, a friend of mine and I decided to go park at the dam at the lake to just enjoy the storm. Thunder was booming so loudly, one after another, and the lightning flashed across the sky (you know the kind that lights up the entire sky that you see start from one end of the sky which grows in all directions like tree branches). The lightning cast a beautiful display, not only in the sky but danced and flickered across the lake as well). It was the most incredible light show that God was displaying for us that I’ve ever seen. Lightning was flashing all around us, and I never once felt we were in any kind of danger sitting in our car and just enjoying the show. We were ooooing and ahhhhing over each lightning display. And all I could do is just praise God for the beauty of it all…He was truly showing off :).

There are so many wonders and splendors of God, which leads to the next question, “can God be both good and terrible at the same time?” God is good in everything He does. He has a purpose for everything, so I would not say that He can be terrible, because He is not terrible and everything He does is good for His purpose. If something turns out terrible, I would say God is trying to get our attention, and we must pay attention to His work., i.e., tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., are not “acts of nature” but are acts of God, and I see a lot of good happening in the aftermath of the storm…people bonding and re-building, and even praying!!

• Tamera says:

I realized after making a praise report post on the Prayer Wall, I really needed to post it here. We’ve been looking at Knowing God by Name and it’s made me even more aware of names and how much prayer and thought should go into naming children. Listen to this – My niece and her husband had their first baby less than a week ago. She is one of the most precious and beautiful babies I’ve ever seen. Her name is Lucille (Lucy) Mae. I didn’t know she was having a boy or a girl or what the names were that they were considering as I thought about what kind of a baby gift I wanted to send. All I knew was it wasn’t going to be one of the standard staples of blankets, bottles, diapers, or gift certificates. I wanted to send something that would last a long time and yet be used a lot. The other day as I was cleaning out the hallway bureau I found a book I had ordered in January. It was a children’s book from Blessings Unlimited with a little girl on the cover. I ordered one for my two-year old granddaughter and I’m not sure why I ordered the second one. It was the perfect gift for Lucy, exactly what I wanted to find! I knew then that the Holy Spirit had directed me to buy the second one for this very child. As I was writing the card to my niece and her husband filled with spiritual guidance for both of them as well as the new baby, I decided to do a little research on the name Lucille/Lucy. It turns out that Lucille means Little Light and Lucy means Light. What a wonderful name! She will always be a light! Oh, by they way, the name of the book is God’s Light in Me. Is there any doubt who orchestrates every good thing?

• Jennifer Kerby says:

Hi Tamara thank you for that wonderful Praise report. You gave me goosebumps reading that. I love how God always has a way of delightfully suprising us with His plans.

• Tamera says:

I love the word you used to describe His way of surprising us – “Delightfully”. Dictionary.com (who uses Webster anymore? LOL) defines delight in noun form as “a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment, joy, rapture, something that gives great pleasure.” Delight in verb form is “to give great pleasure, satisfaction, or enjoyment to; please highly.” Of course a wonderful scripture came to mind. Psalm 37:4 tells us to delight ourselves in Him and He will give us the desires of our heart. As we delight in Him, He in turn delights in giving us what we not only need, but what we desire. I love that our entire relationship with God is a loving two-way street. Thanks for your “delightful” comment on my praise report.

• Tamera says:

Good morning all –
    I appreciate and see the splendor of God in everything! I am an avid photographer and it’s amazing what I pick up in a photograph that is missed with the eye at that moment. I have taken award winning photographs but truly the awards are not mine. I simply captured a glimpse of God’s splendor – the award is all His!

This week’s study was really interesting for me. The names of Splendor fill my heart to overflowing! I have been in the place where the Glory of Lord is so heavy. Kavod is a wonderful word to use the next time I have to describe that kind of glory! I have always loved the account of Moses being shown a glimpse of God’s glory. The best I can compare that to is when we see how the new believer’s countenance changes when they turn their life over to Jesus! Their face shines so brightly with eyes so clear. Tears well in mine as I think on this.

Or Olam – Everlasting Light. God as light is reflective of the glory. There are hardly words enough to describe all the splendor of our Almighty God. The word AWESOME is one that I use a lot and, in fact, people know that as “my word”. While we looked at the true meaning of the word “awesome” I was compelled to reconsider how often I use the word and what do I really mean when I say or write it.

The next thing I considered was the Know Him graph on page 115. I have a healthy fear of the Lord as well as understand Him to be loving and good. I scored in the most upper right corner of the graph. I stopped for some self examination after reading the next few lines in the book. How close are you to the upper right corner of the graph? Pray and ask the Lord to teach you to fear Him in the right way. I had to go back ask myself, Really? I’m not saying if I reconsidered my answers or not, just saying that this study was another wonderful opportunity for self examination. We can never do too much of that!

Have an abundantly bless day!

1. Give an example of when you’ve observed the splendor of God.

A few weeks ago I was sitting in my car in the parking lot of my place of employment prior to going in and starting my day. As I sat there and watched, the most amazing double rainbow moved toward and over me just ahead of a small spring storm. I’ve never seen anything like it and I was absolutely enthralled and couldn’t hold back praises to God for it. It was breathtaking.

2. Do you believe God can be both good and terrible at the same time? (page 113)

Yes I do.

3. How do you praise the Lord? What can you do to praise Him more wholeheartedly or more completely? (page 119)

I praise the Lord by seeking Him with my whole heart. I can praise Him more wholeheartedly or completely by being more loving to others and by being more obedient.

4. Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.

Learning about God’s splendor was a first for me and I loved it!

• Lisa H says:

1. Give an example of when you’ve observed the splendor of God.
    Always. I am not a “nature” girl. However, when I take the dogs out at night, the moon and stars are amazing to me. The cloud formations. Rain. The toads that come out at night to eat the bugs. I worry when I don’t see them 😉 His splendor is all around us.

This is a really tough concept. As humans we think in terms of one thing at a time. As humans we have a hard time being angry and compassionate at the same moment. We are linear. However, I think God can be both angry and compassionate at the same time. Reading thru the OT shows this. He is omniscient – all knowing – all at the same time.

I am always saying “thank you” to Him for something. Even the toads mentioned in question #1 🙂 I have noticed that most of my “thank yous” are at night. I am trying to shift my day so I will praise Him all the time. I think what we do with our time is one of the best ways to Praise God. I ask Him all the time to “accept my time as I give it to You. May it be a glory to Your name.”

1. Sunsets, butterflies, ocean, and all around me in nature.

2. Yes, because everything is in His hands.

3. Sing, spend more time with Him. Quiet time.

• Elizabeth says:

1.Give an example of when you’ve observed the splendor of God. In my children,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to see the love in their eyes and the peace and awe is just incrdible, thanks to God!
    2.Do you believe God can be both good and terrible at the same time? (page 113 ) Yes, but this is a difficult concept for me
    3.How do you praise the Lord? What can you do to praise Him more wholeheartedly or more completely? (page 119 ) We praise him in prayer and by being obedient,,,,,,,,,,, I always try to start off prayer with gratitude and to teach my children that.
    4.Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.
    I love all the names we are learning. On difficult days, I reflect back on all the names and it is so comforting to think about how big our God is!

• Christine Smith says:

Great job with looking back at the names we’ve already learned and planting them deeper into your heart. 🙂

• Linda says:

I used to live in Alberta and have to say the northern lights are amazing. But I think where I saw the splendor of God in a very real and personal sense was at the birth of my babies.
    I like to praise God by listening to worship music and/or taking a walk in nature.

• joannna says:

the one time that God’s splendor touched my life that I can remember was the day that I was saved with his light entered my life and changed it forever.Praise be to God! I truly am a new person.

• Daenel T. says:

1. I’m awestruck by God’s splendor whenever I see a sunset. That’s just the most beautiful thing ever. It makes me feel small.

2. Yes, because He has all power in His hands.

3. I like to sing and dance. I’m not a yeller but I will sing and dance His praise.

4. The song really hit home, I had to share with friends.

• I would have to say the Northern Lights is when I’ve seen the splendor of God. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii there is suppose to be seven pools where the top one overflows and spills over into the next one and so on and so forth, this would be an awesome sight.

Yes, I believe God can be both good and terrible at the same time.

I praise the Lord with my life, with my words, with my actions each day.

M. Waters